New Guy/My Car - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Guy/My Car
Friday, July 05, 2013 7:32 PM

New guy here, just showing off my very stock 2004 Cavalier with 102k miles, and a 5-speed. Haven't had it very long, haven't had any time to start doing anything to it, but I have been working on my mod list. First of all, it has some rust and a damage spot on the drivers side that I would like to fix. The car was recently totaled because of hail damage and I bought it back. It doesn't bother me, so I don't plan on fixing it. My plans are to tint the front windows to match the rears, a tint brow, an EBay CAI with a K&N filter, an upper strut bar, a rear wing off of another Cavalier, a body kit off of an LS Sport model, a set of the late 90's stock Z24 Cavalier wheels, maybe lower it with springs, and maybe some color-matched handles.

Question, will the body kit off of an LS Sport bolt right up to my car? Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: New Guy/My Car
Friday, July 05, 2013 7:40 PM
The 03-05 LSS kit will bolt right up, good sir!
Friday, July 05, 2013 8:12 PM
You'll probably have to drill holes for the clips that hold the side skirts on. The front and rear bumpers are bolt on and go.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, July 05, 2013 9:23 PM
A plan I like.....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Saturday, July 06, 2013 4:26 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:You'll probably have to drill holes for the clips that hold the side skirts on. The front and rear bumpers are bolt on and go.

This. Easy job though, took me maybe 20 min to mock up, mark, and drill holes when I did my lss skirts. And as said, front and rear bumpers are bolt on. The lss does use different wheel well liners up front (they are longer to go under the lip) but the base model ones can be made to fit.

Sunday, July 07, 2013 9:06 AM
Also... you want to lower with springs AND struts.. do not just put lowering springs on the stock struts.

Otherwise sounds like you have nice plans for it

Sunday, July 07, 2013 2:13 PM
hey look a cavalier!

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:05 PM
Update: after 9 years and 103k miles, my stock muffler was starting to rust out. So, after some online research, I went to Auto Zone and picked up a Thrush turbo muffler. My first reaction was that the new muffler was much smaller (and lighter) than the stock muffler. I wanted it as cheap as possible, so I picked up the muffler ($27.99), an exhaust clamp to clamp the new muffler on the old pipe ($3), a clamp to go on the back of the new muffler ($3), a piece of 18 inch pipe that is sold at Auto Zone in order to get the extra length I needed to reach the rear bumper because the new muffler was smaller ($6.99), and a stainless resonated tip to clamp on the end ($25). All I need now is to trim that 18 inch piece of pipe about 4 inches because, right now, the pipe goes almost to the end of the muffler. Therefore, eliminating the resonated part of the tip. At first, I simply added a turndown to the back of the new muffler but I think that made it to loud in the car, so I am hoping this helps. I literally just got it done, so I will have to post my opinion on the new set-up in a couple of days. So far, the Thrush turbo gives a deep tone that is louder than stock without being to loud. I am hoping the resonated tip helps quiet it down even more. Hopefully, this muffler will be good for another 103k miles.
Friday, July 26, 2013 7:22 PM
an 04 5spd? so gay....

wait a tick..thats what I have!

The fact that you've already done your own work is great. I think your plan sounds like a solid winner so far, simple mods that will bring the cavalier's lines around to a nice flowing look. The LSS in red might be harder to obtain but not as hard as the Arrival Blues lol. I have a set of LSS sides waiting to go on and will need to mod the sides as well like Evil did, so once my motor is swapped in, that's next.

Keep the mods simple at first. 100k is still kind of 'young' for an 04. So do a really good tune up, do a true cold air, full exhaust that someone is maybe parting out (new exhaust is over priced IMO), clean up the engine bay, make sure youre not leaking, have good compression, and the suspension Mrs Jazer is talking about is key. My 04 5spd/base was like NIGHT and DAY after struts and springs. The handling is impeccably a hands down simplest (cheapest) and most noticeable mod for handling you can do. Then get strut bars (easy), rear sway bar (not cheap but worth it), and a set of lightweight wheels and decent tires (215-225's are good on a set of nice 16's or 17's).

then you'll get the hang of the jbody feel and know whether you want turbo or supercharger.
then you'll get the bug, put tons of mods in it, blow the motor, upgrade parts after rebuilding, and your gf/wife will leave you because you'd rather drop in aluminum control arms vs buy diapers and your baby will have diaper rash for weeks but your car will handle great.

Welcome to jbody.org.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, July 26, 2013 8:08 PM
You have good clean ideas to put into the car. You sir will do nicely here.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 2:01 PM
Thanks, guys. I want to keep this car clean and simple. Trust me, I've had my ricer Cavalier. When I first started driving, I had a light blue 2 door Cavi, I added a Magnaflow muffler and tip (which I liked and I wish I had the money to buy another). I remember I didn't think it was loud enough so I was laying in my parents driveway with a drill trying to make a couple holes and make it louder (dumb). Then I heard that same set-up on another Cavi later and it sounded great. I wish I had that set-up on my current Cavi. I added chrome 15 inch 5 spoke wheels to the stock tires, I added a crazy tall rear spoiler and I just painted the sides of the spoiler to match the car, and I disconnected the rear speakers and added 2 'bass tubes' and laid them in the rear floorboard. Yea, we've all been young.
Update: the car sounds much better now. Adding the extra pipe and the tip really quieted the sound in the car. A nice set-up for the price. A nice sound from the muffler if you're wanting to add sound but not be loud. Plus, it replaced my stock muffler, and it weighs quite a bit less. And the tip looks nice as well.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:30 PM
Im young and my car isnt like that lol

Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:42 AM
^^^^Word. Mine wasnt either.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:06 PM
Small update; just got a tint brow put on. Not a bad little upgrade for $31.02.
Thursday, August 01, 2013 6:56 PM
Another small update; tonight I adjusted the exhaust a bit and took off the mudflaps
Friday, September 20, 2013 4:28 PM
Today I installed this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-RED-2002-2005-CHEVY-CAVALIER-2-2-2-2L-ECOTEC-ONLY-AIR-INTAKE-KIT-SYSTEMS-/261269823254?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2004%7CModel%3ACava lier&hash=item3cd4e51f16&vxp=mtr
Seems to be a nice product with a decent fit, everything was included. Not bad for the price and free shipping. It took a week and a day to get to my door. Acts like a typical CAI on a basically stock car. Took me about 20 to install by myself and this is the first one I've put on. It was super easy, anyone can do it. I would recommend this product to others for the price. Like most others do, I plan on adding a K&N filter and I would suggest other buyers do the same. I will post a pic of under my hood soon.
Friday, September 20, 2013 7:43 PM

Dirty, mostly stock engine bay but you get the idea.
Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:13 AM
that's how it started with me too.....good luck keeping your wallet closed.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:31 AM
Side note, that is not a cold air intake. It is known as a short ram/warm air intake... CAI goes into fender well.

Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:55 AM
If you remove that black plastic intake resanator you will hear the intake alot more. But get a a tune!

GMR has got nothing on this
Saturday, September 21, 2013 9:28 AM
Polish the valve cover, it's a little thing that goes a long way for under the hood. I personally like it. Although it will make you want to clean up a lot of other things under the hood as well. Keep it up.

Friday, September 27, 2013 2:11 PM
Nice! I am seconding what Blue04DD says. You have just started the "Snowball effect".

Also I second Mrs Jazer said.. You NEVER, EVER, and I mean NEVER put lowering/aftermarket springs on STOCK struts! They bounce too much, and the stock struts are not made to be lowered. Just a warning from personal experience with. I didn't put aftermarket springs on my stock struts, somebody lied to me saying they were aftermarket struts when I bought them. Nope stock strut OEM numbers.
(Don't mean to sound harsh, just strongly encouraging you to take advice from people on here).

So I hope you have a great time with us.. Welcome to Jbo!

Did you say my car looks slow??
Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:05 PM

I put some cheap fog lights on the old girl the other night. They aren't finished as I sort of mounted them late at night in the dark, but you get the idea. I cut out the middle of the three bars that were in the stock fog light holes in the bumper, and they fit in there pretty well. Not great, but not bad. Good enough for me. This also shows the tint brow that I recently had installed.
Sunday, September 29, 2013 1:49 PM
another mo guy, welcome, yes uve started to slowly lose money into ur ride. and this is why my nova is still unpainted. dam cavalier that just seems to be a fun dd.
Wednesday, October 02, 2013 2:19 PM

I snapped a quick picture earlier. Future plans include a rear spoiler and a K&N filter on my cai. Suggestions and opinions will be appreciated.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search