Round #2...but what are my best options... - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Round #2...but what are my best options...
Tuesday, August 06, 2013 6:54 PM
Ok here we go again. Starting over on the build. At one point I decided to part her out, and I did sell all the turbo stuff. I had a member here who was going to buy the whole car which meant I could avoid a part out. But, the deal just wasn't going to work out. I apologize to everyone who wanted to buy certain parts from me. I did try to get back with all of you...and there was a lot.

So, I'm thinking of putting the car back together and set it up for nitrous since I still have the built motor. I have a full SD 97 ECU and I'm wondering if I could do a dry shot with the use of my BEGi FMU? If not I figured I'd just go with a wet kit. What tuning issue will I run into? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Current state. Time to get movin' again.

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Re: Round #2...but what are my best options...
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:06 PM
Here's a link to my questions and concerns for the build.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=39&i=18578&t=18578

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, August 08, 2013 6:51 AM
Do yourself a favor and get yourself a decent wet kit.

Thursday, August 08, 2013 7:32 PM
That's what I've been hearing. Ok, a wet kit it is.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:52 PM
Well, after a lot of research...it's not a wet kit. I talked to BEGi and my fmu should operate just fine if I spray a dry shot. Very similar to when it reads boost from a turbo set up. I should be able to borrow my buddies cherry picker this weekend to help me get the motor and trans paired up and bolted down. Once that's done the rest of the build should be pretty straight forward and some what quick. So, I decided to start stock piling parts again!

Ebay special. We'll see how long the filter lasts before I just get a K&N

Both window motors are bad, so I got a couple new ones.

Got a full set of new 225/50/16 tires from Discount Tire for $246. These will go on my stock Z24 wheels that I am painting a dark metallic silver. Anyone have some center caps I can buy?

And of course the Zex Dry kit with 35-100 shot nozzles. I'll be starting with the 35. More safety components will be added.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, August 16, 2013 7:31 AM
Oh my god I just flashed back 10 years. I have not heard the term "Zex Dry Kit" in almost forever! I didn't know they even still made kits...

Good to see they never stepped away from that anodized purple they were known for.

I'm now a fan of this build.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, August 16, 2013 8:40 AM
It's technically a used Zex kit although the guy I bought it from never used it lol. Had it hooked up and bottle full then decided to sell it lol. It's in great shape. Most others I've seen are all beat up and missing parts. This one is clean, bottle full and with all components of the basic kit. I'll be adding a heater, down tube and probably a window switch. I'll replace the blue vac lines with black ones too.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, August 16, 2013 9:53 AM
Are those Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's?

To turbocharge, or not to uh, uh..... eh, that last part don't matter.
Friday, August 16, 2013 11:22 AM
Abe Jacobs wrote:Are those Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's?

Nope, Falken ZIEX ZE-512

I don't really know how good they are but for $246 out the door with having tread depth and a pattern I liked I figured what the hey. All the other tires I was looking at that I liked were $330-$400.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, August 16, 2013 12:31 PM
Heard those tires are very similar to the ZE-912's which I'm running just different tread life and pattern I think other then that performs about the same. If that's the case there a good tire for the cost and you should like them.

Eager to see where this build goes now that you've decided on spray. Do like the purple bottle should look nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, August 16, 2013 12:33 PM
Friday, August 16, 2013 1:55 PM
Good to hear about the tires!

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:05 PM
Hell of a deal on those tires. I'm interested in seeing where this goes, as I have had a nitrous kit sitting in my garage for about four years and haven't done anything with it.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Friday, August 16, 2013 6:37 PM
I had those tires...they are Falkens discontinued version of the newer 612s. They were okay but they sucked on the wet roads bad..course having a supercharger didn't help much lol.
they didn't have a lot of life even brand new, but then again at the price you paid I wouldn't care!

I decided to go with the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 's now..of course it ran me 2.5x the cost of what you just paid for those lol. But man these hold the car realllllly well in the back roads under heavy cornering on the hot roads in TX!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, August 16, 2013 7:45 PM
blu04DD wrote:I had those tires...they are Falkens discontinued version of the newer 612s. They were okay but they sucked on the wet roads bad..course having a supercharger didn't help much lol.
they didn't have a lot of life even brand new, but then again at the price you paid I wouldn't care!

Yeah, it's not my daily, so I'm sure they'll be fine. I had wondered myself, saw others had before and I'm sure people will want to know later, so I took a comparison pic of my old 205/55/16 tires compared to the new 225/50/16s. The old ones actually have a lot of tread left.

And here are my wheels after the first coat of the dark silver metallic.

I got my other pioneer speaker in tonight too. Just because.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:00 AM
I'm interested to see how the FMU is going to add fuel with the nitrous.

Regardless I would never run a dry kit on a non MAF car.

FU Tuning

Saturday, August 17, 2013 2:00 PM
I love how he asks for advice and then does his own "research" to not use it.

That's a nice tire choice though. A buddy had those on his Civic and they performed well in all the stupid things he did lol. As far as speakers, you can fit a 6.5" in the door if you're looking for better sound down the road.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:29 PM
Cruisin4DrCav wrote:I love how he asks for advice and then does his own "research" to not use it.

I know I know...the dry kit is not set in stone though. In fact I talked to my buddy across the street last night, and he has an Edlbrock wet kit for his eclipse that he's never used. I might take it off his hands and give my dad the dry kit. I'm gonna go look at it tonight. I am still skeptical about the fmu working with the dry kit.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Sunday, August 18, 2013 5:14 PM
Exactly and you're trusting the injectors to do all the work with a dry kit. I did my fair share of research before deciding on my NOS Sniper Kit.

Monday, August 19, 2013 4:03 AM
Cruisin4DrCav wrote:Exactly and you're trusting the injectors to do all the work with a dry kit. I did my fair share of research before deciding on my NOS Sniper Kit.

If I were to buy a brand new wet kit that's what I'd want actually. I know the motor can take more than 50, but the trans...

That's another reason why I got the dry kit. To somewhat force me to keep the shot small.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, August 19, 2013 4:31 AM
Then just pill the wet kit small, it's that simple lol. I bought everything for my kit brand new and it was only like $600.

Monday, August 19, 2013 4:49 AM
I'll be tempted to do 100...lol. We'll see. First things first, this trans needs to go in the car. That's happening this Saturday (hopefully).

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Saturday, August 24, 2013 6:04 PM
Got things set and ready for next Saturday to put this trans back in. My friends cherry picker is going to help a lot. I finally cleared out the trunk and put the MOOG end links on. The new tires will be mounted and balanced on Tuesday, and I hope to get my Pacesetter header and RC Eng injectors this week. I found out the smallest nitrous jet I have is a 60 shot, so I'm going to look into getting a smaller one. And YES, I am still considering going to a wet kit or converting my dry to wet. What do you guys think...keep the trunk carpeting or lose it? I'm leaning toward taking it out if I can't get that stain out...

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:27 PM
Got the new tires mounted and balanced today. I'm hoping to have the car be a roller by the end of this week. The 225/50s are definitely wider than the old 205/55s. I like them.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:14 PM
Im going with 225 45 16 on my car glad to see a similar size looks good on there

I Love My J ♡
Monday, September 16, 2013 5:15 AM
Part out...again. Moving across the country now. It's gotta go.

http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/61444/

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search