Transporter's AutoX Cav Build - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transporter's AutoX Cav Build
Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:57 PM
Well it's about time I start getting to work on this thing. Figured I'd start it off with a bit of fab work.

Plan is to relocate the battery to the trunk, so I made a jump post box to go under the hood. It will also serve as a junction box for the 2 awg positive and negative wires. I still need to cut some holes to run the wires, but it's basically done.

And I also pulled the battery tray out of my red cav and sand blasted it to prep it for some fresh paint, should make for a quick battery relocation.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Re: Transporter's AutoX Cav Build
Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:04 PM
Nice. What are your plans?

Sub'd

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:20 PM
Planning on a small turbo setup, hoping to hit 300whp and to spool as quickly as possible. Probably going to strip the car out, triangulate as much of the body as possible, Tein SS's, possibly an adjustable rear sway bar, CF hood and trunk for weight savings, and 275's all the way around.

That last thing is going to take some persuasion... but it's going to happen... haha.

I'm also starting to research tuning options... I'd like to run MegaSquirt 3 with anti lag, but I still want to be able to pass NYS inspection. So I'm looking into fake OBDII ports, or running my stock ECU as a piggy back...

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:41 PM
hell yes. looking forward to seeing what you can do here, man. i love your work.

one thing... why the jump box in the front of the car? i guess i dont see the point of adding all the weight of that thick wiring all the way to the front of the car when you can just jump the car from behind. maybe you could rig up a way to put the posts behind the licence plate and make it hinged? idk am i missing something? lol

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:46 PM
Id go for stds personally... id rather have seperate height/preload adjustment. Good luck on the 275s

Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:20 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:hell yes. looking forward to seeing what you can do here, man. i love your work.

one thing... why the jump box in the front of the car? i guess i dont see the point of adding all the weight of that thick wiring all the way to the front of the car when you can just jump the car from behind. maybe you could rig up a way to put the posts behind the licence plate and make it hinged? idk am i missing something? lol

All together it probably weights a pound, and I needed a junction box under the hood anyway. It's all about functionality, and with the battery in the trunk it was a pain to open up the box to get to the posts. The wire will be run low and overall help balance the car, bigger wire = less voltage drop = more better.

strat81 wrote:Id go for stds personally... id rather have seperate height/preload adjustment. Good luck on the 275s

The SS's don't? Well what the hell... R5's it is then...

Its going to take some trickery... maybe some custom flares...

Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:57 PM
Nope... ss lose preload in order to lower. One of the reasons im considering another option.

Realistically the 275s are only around an inch wider than what im running. That being said its still going to take some massaging.

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:57 AM
Why no HPTuners.....since you already have it?

In for more epicness.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, July 30, 2012 7:18 AM
strat81 wrote:Nope... ss lose preload in order to lower. One of the reasons im considering another option.

Realistically the 275s are only around an inch wider than what im running. That being said its still going to take some massaging.

Well when you put it that way... 315's or bust!

-MD- Enforcer wrote:Why no HPTuners.....since you already have it?

In for more epicness.

The main reason being anti lag, but realistically to run HPT I'm going to have to pay $100 to unlock this ECU, then another $100 down the road to unlock a 00+ ecu that will see boost AFTER I pay for a GM supercharger tune, and on top of that I'll have to do a full body harness swap. After all that I'll still end up with @!#$ty tuning options with a restricted ECU.

Or I could spend less money on MS3, piggyback it with the stock ECU to keep NYS happy and my gauges working, and end up with a superior EFI system that will do much more than our ECU's ever could. More technical work, but less physical work, and once it's all together I think I'll be happy I took the plunge.

Seeing JuicedZ4's car basically tuning it's self on a dyno with MS really made me realize how powerful it is. Not to mention how well his car runs when it has enough fuel, haha.

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:42 AM
You could flash an 00 re-flash tune on to your computer. Along as you have the correct injectors/injector constant, and Map it will run fine. You WILL loose some gauges, but people have repined their PCMs to gain tach back, and you can buy gauge drivers to run ALL the other gauges that are not playing nice. I know a few jBO people have done this, and/or done this to a degree. Ruen, Whitecavy, newt has..or knows how to, and a few others. If you do go the MS3 route talk to Cursed Cav. Here is his MS3 build trend on his 99 Z24!

You do not need to pay for a GM supercharger tune. There is I think two in the HPTuners Repository. I know I uploaded a 00 reflash myself. Also, The M45 Re-flash is the best OS we have for J-bodies.

Anti-LAG is a great feature, but I heard it likes to eat turbos?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, July 30, 2012 9:33 AM
Thanks for the link.

Losing gauges would drive me nuts. And after pulling a full body harness, I know that I really wouldn't want to put a different one back in, haha. Running 5 or 6 sensors and a custom crank trigger wheel will be a much easier route.

Good to know on the GM tune though.

I'm sure it isn't nice to them, haha, but we'll see. It would only be run during my autox runs, so it would see minimal use.

I'd also like to integrate a 50 shot or so, maybe 75 for highway use, so MS3 would make integration of a nitrous system very straight forward with progressive controls and automatic timing changes.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:53 AM
Hmmm interesting indeed.

Get to it!!!!

Club Jeffie, Yea we can make that.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:29 AM
use aftermarket gauges in the cluster like kardain did.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:02 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:use aftermarket gauges in the cluster like kardain did.

So I should spend another $4-500 on gauges, so I can run software that won't do what I want it to? No thanks.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:08 PM
Ive been contiplating MS3. Im going to make a custom engine harness anyway, might as well make it for a better EFI system. Have they figured out the self tuning for MS3 yet? Ive been thinking about trying the Holly EFI stuff for v8 carb to efi conversion since it self tunes. Just not sure how much work it would be to make it work on a 4 cylinder.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:14 PM
I watched MS3 self tune part throttle on Dan Cotters 2nd gen (JuicedZ4), so I'm guessing it's pretty well figured out.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:33 PM
For your goal of 300whp for auto. The factory TPS tuning will be more than enough.

Even if you wanted more power from boost the Charger OS will be more than enough.

I think sometimes people talk down on our systems because either they have not properly tuned them, or gotten them properly tuned.

Do not get me wrong we have files nmissing etc..., BUT still it can be done.

Now I have never tuned nitrous so I can not say much on that, but that is maybe were I really see any reason to go to MS.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:46 PM
Honestly, even when you take out the cool nitrous and anti lag features, its still much cheaper than swapping to a 00+ ecu and tuning with HPT, not to mention less of a headache.

Friday, August 03, 2012 6:02 AM
What class are you building for Tim? Im assuming smf?

Friday, August 03, 2012 7:03 AM
Yup, I might eventually end up joining the prepared guys though. I need to brake out the rule book.

Friday, August 03, 2012 7:09 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:For your goal of 300whp for auto. The factory TPS tuning will be more than enough.

Even if you wanted more power from boost the Charger OS will be more than enough.

I think sometimes people talk down on our systems because either they have not properly tuned them, or gotten them properly tuned.

Do not get me wrong we have files nmissing etc..., BUT still it can be done.

Now I have never tuned nitrous so I can not say much on that, but that is maybe were I really see any reason to go to MS.

I agree with John...I don't think you will need to change the computer, especially when the previous owner made so much power on the same ECU. James also tuned my 99 PCM with a supercharger tune that worked perfectly

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren

Friday, August 03, 2012 7:14 AM
He made 400+hp, when it was 80 degrees, low humidity, and the car felt like it. He sold the car because he was sick of having to dick with it to get it to run right.

I need to make 300hp all day long, and 400 when I hit a button.

Good enough is not enough. The whole point of this build is to take it above and beyond, so it starts up every day, and wins events. An ECU on the fritz because it feels like it will ruin a good AutoX run.

Friday, August 03, 2012 5:22 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:He made 400+hp, when it was 80 degrees, low humidity, and the car felt like it. He sold the car because he was sick of having to dick with it to get it to run right.

I need to make 300hp all day long, and 400 when I hit a button.

Good enough is not enough. The whole point of this build is to take it above and beyond, so it starts up every day, and wins events. An ECU on the fritz because it feels like it will ruin a good AutoX run.

Not the same motor, but I was able to make 350whp on the same ECU and it is daily driven with no issues.

Not my car, and not autox.

I think it tuned properly.

Regardless I look forward to your build.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 03, 2012 5:43 PM
Werd, I'm not trying to put down anything you've done, just hoping for something with more possibilities

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search