Hood scoops - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hood scoops
Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:07 PM
okay i'm posting this in the newbie section because that is what i am.. I'm still learning about mods and such so go easy on me.. And let me know if this is a stupid idea of mine.

Okay I have a 1997 cavy with the 2.4 L engine, I also have the aem Short Ram Intake but my question is about universal hood scoops that can be mounted down to the factory hood. I'm researching different types that can be mounted and made into a true hood scoop by cutting out the portion of the hood under the scoop. Well the actual question is;

What hood scoop would be best suited for this and where would be the best place to mount it for best results? And how would this effect performace in rainy conditions?

Re: Hood scoops
Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:11 PM
I honestly don't think ANY of them are meant to be molded in and cut to be functional. Pretty much all of those stick-on scoops are just ricer appearance mods for people who don't know any better.

With that said, you can probably make ANY of them functional if you put some effort into it. Just mold it on, cut the hole, and build some sort of duct underneath to bring the air where you want it.

If you can do custom body work then you can make this happen. If you can't, no amount of instruction here is going to help much. Find a body shop that does custom work and consult with them on it.

Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:21 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7953228852&category=36475

This is what i mean by the hood scoop thing.. Will something like this work and is it safe to have in a rainy climate?
Saturday, February 12, 2005 8:05 PM
i personally think you should stay away from the hood scoop on a cavalier in general, but that is just my opinion. with the right amount of time and talent, you can make anything functional, as far as a rainy climate goes, im pretty sure u could have it, becaue there are ppl all around that have functional hoodscoops in the rain.

Sorry.....
You have been banned from posting on this site as of 2005-01-13 10:15:53.
This ban will expire 2005-01-14 10:15:35 Pacific Time.
Reason: Free 84 Cavi Drop Top!
donnie darko wrote:ill post a time slip of my 12 inch dick

Saturday, February 12, 2005 8:07 PM
it will work depending on where you place the scoop and if you cut under it to make it functional. also it will have to be molded in to make it look good

Saturday, February 12, 2005 8:14 PM
Ginostyle did exactly what you're talking about. he took a scoop and molded it in making it functional. if you want pointers, you can e-mail him.

http://www.j-body.org/members/ginostyle/

Saturday, February 12, 2005 8:14 PM
ok, looking at his pics he didn't exactly mold it in, but he made it functional at least.

Saturday, February 12, 2005 8:19 PM
Right... and his wasn't a plastic stick-on scoop. His was meant to be functional to begin with as it was a functional scoop from a Sprint.

As for using it in the rain... most of the full ram air hoods people buy aren't properly ducted or baffled anyway so I wouldn't worry too much. It's really up to you to make it right if you take this project on.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 7:34 AM
not worth the trouble, first of all it will look rediculous, any gain that you may get (while unlikely) will be completely lost because your screwing up the aerodynamics and increasing drag. When you have higher drag you will get less gas mileage and be slower on top end acceleration

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, February 13, 2005 7:43 PM
Good point Rodimus. Ive been thinking of doing this for awhile, but indeed, serious drag.
Monday, February 14, 2005 7:59 AM
Hey, I dont know to much about this, so thats why I'm asking, but technically if you hooked the hood scoop up to your air intake then whenever it rains won't your engine be sucking in the rain drops. I know there has to be an air filter but even still then the filter will clog with water, thus no more air is getting through. So how do cars with real functional hood scoops avoid this problem? Also wont it kinda be like adding a turbo to your car, cuz just think about the air speed and pressure at like 150kmph! Therefore wouldn't you kinda get more hp too?

Monday, February 14, 2005 8:46 AM
Well... I've got an RK Sport hood which is ducted and baffled. When the water enters the scoop and smacks into the back of the duct-work, it then flows down toward the front of the hood and out some holes in the sides rather than around the bend with the airflow and into the intake area.

Of course, some spray will make it's way to the airbox but this is normal without the ram air hood as well. A bit of spray at the filter doesn't do any harm. It's not like you're submerging your cold-air intake in a deep puddle and hydro-locking your engine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search