Oh @!#$! - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oh @!#$!
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 1:05 PM
I have a serious dilemma... I have to fly to colorado this friday only to drive a manual car back to ohio.. Sounds fine, however i dont know how to drive manual. Ive never driven a manual in my life. i know the idea of how to drive 1 but i need some help from you guys. any tips or facts i should know will be very helpful. thanks.

Re: Oh @!#$!
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 1:20 PM
push in the clutch pedal.
shift into gear,
push on gas lightly
slowly let out clutch pedal

this will allow you to get a feel for where the engagement point is in the pedal. after that, its just the same to switch gears- clutch in, switch gear, clutch out

Land Pirates sail the open roads
DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
others as well as myself may learn.
Premium sinc 6-17-04
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 1:20 PM
the hardest part is getting it going into 1st. after that don't forget to push in the clutch when you stop so that the car doesn't stall. that's the major problems i had when i first tried.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 1:33 PM
^^^ 1st gear is the hardest for most people to get the hang of. but once you get on the high way it'll be fine

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 1:53 PM
listen to them ^^^^^ i had a problem with 1st for awhile then after firtst its easy sailing

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 4:45 PM
yea first gear is the hardest. hold the clutch in and put it in first. w/ the foot on the clutch still, slowly left out of the clutch as you slowly give it gas. do it slow at first so you can feel for where the clutch grabs. once you got that down its pretty much easy like everyone else said. once your moving in first do the same to go into second. push the clutch in, put it in second and let the clutch out as you give it gas. its alot harder to stall going into 2 thru 5 as it is going into first. when your stopping, push the clutch in, put it in neurtal and just use the brake to stop.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:52 PM
once the clutch grabs dont just dump it..let the car get moving while your litting it out...took me awhile to get that

Thursday, May 12, 2005 4:36 AM
Thank you all for the information. I really appreciate it
Thursday, May 12, 2005 6:27 AM
Oh and when your switching to 2-5, dont push the clutch in and give it gas like you did for first to find your engagement point. When its time to shift you won't need togive it alot of gas. Just thinking of this cos my friends learning how to drive a manual 4speed 91 civic. When you hear that huge rev from 2-3 and then hear it grip and slam all the way back dow to like 1200, makes ya just wana drive it for him. But then again, everyones gotta learn .

Rich
Sunday, May 15, 2005 6:17 PM
well i got the car. they shipped it for me (long story). Anyways 1st day driving manual and everything went great . I had one small bull ride and one stall trying reverse on a hill lol. Other than those few mishaps I beleive I have it down. Manual is more fun to drive lol.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search