HID Problem - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HID Problem
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:13 PM
I bought HID's(6000K) for my 2000 Chevy cavalier Z24 2.4 twin cam and for some reason the passenger side wont light up. When I turn on the lights to low beam, the drivers side goes to the bright white but the passenger side is a very dim yellow. When switched to high beam the driver side goes out and the passenger side goes a brighter yellow (still not the white it should be).
I've measured the voltage going through each wire during high beam and low beam. Through searching i found that the light needs a certain voltage to turn on.

Low Beam
Driver Passenger
6.55V 6.74V (C) High
1.73V 11.46V (B) Day
11.45V 1.40V (A) Low

High Beam
Driver Passenger
0.90V 1.02V (C) High
0.83V 11.17V (B) Day
12.00V 0.82V (A) Low

Now I do no understand why in Low Beam that Day(B) and Low(A) or not the same on both sides. I've tried switching the wires around to see if that would make a difference but nothing changes.
So could this possibly be because the ballast on the passenger does not work? I've also read that I could need a relay, what does the relay do?

These may be stupid questions and they may have already been answer in another thread but no where I can find so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: HID Problem
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:52 PM
Sorry for not getting back to you. I had this same issue. I had to switch the pins in the blue headlight plug for the HIDs. The ground wire was at the wrong spot and causes that issue. Then if need add a relay http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=4&i=171585&t=171585

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:54 PM
try testing each bulb on your battery using 1 of the ballasts first and see if each bulb light up to the same brightness, that way if a bulb is defective you'll kno, if they light up right using the first ballast, use the other and see if it's your bulbs or your ballasts acting up if its all good I definatly don't kno what that problem would be, never dealt with that before

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:59 PM
Never even thought of doing that. That would tell me if the ballast works or not. I'll have to try that tomorrow.
What kind of relay am I adding and what does it do?
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:07 PM
well, you just need a regular 5 pin relay and pigtail to make install easy. The relay is if you keep DRLs as when they are on it only supplies 6v to the ballest instead of 12v and will burn them up. Also it will supply 12v(13.4v) to the ballest when the lights are on since it is a direct connection to the battery. Almost any parts store including walmart carries these.

Just make sure you test your headlight socket for high, low, and ground and make sure the HID plug matches as my high and ground (i believe) were switch so I had to pull the pins and move the wires on the HID plug.

Relay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Black-12V-40A-SPST-Premium-Relay-Socket-4Pin-4P-4-Wire-For-Car-Auto-/161007019245

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:09 PM
Also which HIDs did you get 9007, 9007-2, 9007-3 , Slim ballest, or regular?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:34 PM
They are 9007 slim ballast
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:37 PM
The ground wire pin on the his plug connects to the drl pin on the factory plug (that's what I gather from reading a wiring diagram. Is that right?
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:06 PM
You have to make sure the 3 pin connector should be blue it wired correctly for the factory harness. It should like it isnt like mine was and others. Also 9007 hid kit doesn't have a high beam. You would need either the 9007-2 or 9007-3 kit. I got rind of my 9007-2 shortly after my post and want with a 55w 9007-3. 35 watt was too dim and I wanted hid high beams which 9007-3 has.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:17 PM
OK stupid question. How would I know if its 9007, 9007-2, 9007-3? The box says 'migo racing vx3'.
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:28 PM
9007 - single hid bulb ( no high beam)
9007-2 single hid bulb with holagen High beam bulb ( high beam looks factory)
9007-3 single hid bulb that moves in and out to simulate high low filaments

Google them to see the difference.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:34 PM
My mistake. After looking at pics of the e types, mine look like the 9007-2.
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:20 PM
Your plugs deffinitlyhave the wires mexed up. Repin it and you should be good. If the HIDs then do not turn on or flicker and your high beams work ok then you need a relay.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:59 AM
So I tried what Cavalier Thompson said. I switch the passenger side bulb with the working driver side and it lit up the bright white it should. Then I took the ballast from the passenger side and connected it to the working driver side and nothing happened, Neither HID bulb would light up. Luckily I have these under warranty and I am going to go get a new ballast today. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

I will let you know what happens.
Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:50 AM
I am almost 100% sure it's the wiring and needing a relay. Without correcting this you will have the same issue if not right away shortly after. 3rd gens are wired differently from other vehicles that is whynso many people melted tail light led bulbs since the car requires 3157ck instead of regular 3157 led bulbs.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:54 AM
But how come when I switched the whole hid assembly to the driver side which is working Nothing happened?
Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:08 AM
Unless they burned up. Like I said before I had the same issue. I ruined a set of HIDs because I didn't know the wiring was different in that blue plug.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:36 AM
That's weird though because if the driver side is wired to factory settings why wouldn't the passenger be the same? Doesn't make sense to me.
Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:45 PM
So it was the ballast that was fried, the guy tested it and it didnt work. So I got a new one. Now again same problem the light does turn on but only a dim yellow.
I tried a combination of connections for the blue plug but nothing made it the white it should be.

A - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3
B - 2 - 3 - 1 - 3 - 1 - 2
C - 3 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2 - 1

So i guess my next step is to get a relay.
Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:15 PM
The problem is because neither side is wired correctly. One side will work with incorrect wiring and when the other side is plugged in it will fry one of the two or both. You need to figure out the wiring for the factory headlight, High, low, ground, then wire the HID high, low, ground to match it. Once both sides are done you should be ok. If not you need a relay to increase the voltage and current.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:17 PM
I got a relay and finally both lights work. Do you know how to stop the warning for the DRL's?

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:12 PM
If you wired it how I posted I did not not have an issue with my drl light. My lights worked like factory.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:44 PM
This way?
87 - Ballast +
30- Battery +
86- Factory Headlight Ground -
85- Factory Headlight Low Beam Power +
I grounded the Negative (-) Ballast Wire to the car.

That's a for pin relay right? Did you use 2 relays, one for each bulb?
Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:56 PM
Yes. I used 2 relays one for the passenger and one for the drivrside. You will be fine with 1 relay. They should draw more then 10-15a with 2 35w ballests. I also upgraded to 55w ballests which draw 15-20 amps each when igniting. A relay is good for 30amps or so. I used 5 pin relays and didn't use pin 57a I believe. Make sure you put an inline fuse between the relay and the positive side of the batter incase something goes wrong you don't melt the wires or catch your car on fire.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search