New member, but longtime owner - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New member, but longtime owner
Monday, September 30, 2013 11:39 AM
I've lurked on JBO's boards so long that I may as well register, so here I am. Proud owner of a 2000 Cavalier coupe with the 2.2 engine and automatic, bought mostly-new (well, with 137 miles) off the lot in September 2000. She's now at 145,000 and still ticking away like new, still in the 30 MPG range. No modifications aside from a K&N filter and an aftermarket radio with an aux input. She's had regular maintenance and regular bottles of fuel injector cleaner. Only maintenance squawks over the last 13 years have been an air conditioner compressor and a head gasket; both were taken care of during scheduled maintenance.

Right now I'm in the midst of a minor refurb project to fix some little age issues: I've redone the visors and recarpeted the rear dash, installed a Coverlay cover over the (inevitable) cracked forward dash panel, and installed new forward splash shields to replace the old, chipped factory units. New headlight units are in hand, and I just need a suitable afternoon for installation. The ABS has been out for a few thousand miles; my hunch is the left front sensor and harness, but no sense throwing money at the problem until I pull the codes soon. I'd really like to get everything back in working order, as I plan to drive this little car until I can't anymore. I can't bear to part with a car this reliable (I'm also emotionally attached, since I bought her after getting my first "real" job).

As I've worked on this car, I've referred to these boards so often, and I've saved myself a lot of trouble (and money, no doubt!) and overcome a lot of my apprehension about working on a car this modern. Thanks to those of you who have shared what you know, and for making my work that much easier.

Re: New member, but longtime owner
Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:45 PM
throw some pics of her up. i remember when i took my 00z of the lot back in 01. not as reliable as yours but i drove it harder i suppose.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search