Newb from ky - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Newb from ky
Thursday, May 08, 2014 4:53 PM
Hi everyone! I recently signed up on here because I plan on buying a cavalier for my first car soon and I'm looking for some tips with buying and upgrading the car. I hope I am welcome here seeing as I'm a teenager. I hope I have a good time on here!

Re: Newb from ky
Thursday, May 08, 2014 6:04 PM
I have a few questions that will help with buying a car. I will appreciate any answers.
What difference did the first facelift make from the original third gen cavalier?
what is a fair price for a decent 3rd gen 2 door?
is there anything in specific to look for when looking at a specific car?
I know they are newbie questions but that's what this thread is for, right?
thanks!
Friday, May 09, 2014 8:34 PM
Welcome to the site! I am a 1st gen guy so can't really make suggestions on the questions you have.You may want to check out the photos/media are forum and ask a touch as a lot of people do not always check in on this forum routinely.Ok

Friday, May 09, 2014 9:33 PM
Hello there!
I will just give my opinions.

When you mention the face lift, are you meaning the 95-99, to 00-02 face lift? If you are referring to that, then it was more then a face lift in the 2000 year. The Electronics of the car changed to a more modern way separating certain things between a ECU and a BCM. Also in the 2000 year they switched over to the more reliable (at least in most peoples opinions) Getrag Manual Transmission. The gas tank changed materials from metal to plastic, and the interior dash pieces changed to a more efficient placement of HVAC controls/Stereo. Other stuff which I cannot think about which are in your everyday J-Body. Someone else can chime in.

It depends on where you are located for the price for a decent J-Body. For example I am in the West Coast of Canada and a fair price for a Cavalier/Sunfire with decent mileage (for its year) would be $1500-$3000. I am always amused at how people pay more then $3000 for a stock J-Body in my area. (Again others from the other side of the continent can chime in)

When looking at a J-Body car it can depend on what year it is, motor it has, who drove it before hand, any mods, etc.
If you looked on some of threads, you might have read some good and bad things about each one of the multiple engines offered in the years of the third gens.
Example: The 2.4L (LD9) was the motor with the most HP and is quite fun. However, it is known to blow a major engine part when low on oil even by a little. (#3 Rod Bearing). This is well heard from a loud knocking sound coming from the motor. Be on the look out, this can be prevented by good car maintenance.

The 95-97 2.2L was the basic engine and doesn't have very many things that stand out for it on either each end of the spectrum. They are known for head gasket failure more then there evolved form (LOL). The 98-02 2.2L almost shares the same basic concept as its earlier version, but was just the updated version with redirected coolant flow to combat head gasket failure, and other things. These things are ridiculous hard to destroy, and have become the most "bulletproof" engine offered for us J-Body fellows. I currently drive one and I put a fair share of wear and tear onto this motor and it holds up just fine. Although not as peppy (115Hp) as the 2.4L or Ecotec, it serves as a easier to understand motor with quick replacement of things like the water pump and timing chain compared to its sibling motors.
The 2.2L Ecotec is a pretty all around motor and I am not too knowledgeable on this motor, but it seems to be a popular choice as it also is the last motor produced in the J-Body Line up, and is also used in some sort of fashion in other GM vehicles.

Different years had different Transmissions.
The 95-99 2.4L had the Isuzu 5 Speed Tranny. Which is known for its Syncros to go on them.
After 00, the 5 Speed Manual changed to the Getrag Manual Transmission. Much better. Tougher.
As for the AutoTrannies, you don't much to worry there.

When purchasing a J-Body check the Under body because if it was anywhere near the "Salt Belt" it may show signs of rust.

All Cavaliers will tend to get the Infamous Dash Crack if they were produced after 96 I believe. (Common)

After 100,000 Miles check to see if certain regular maintenance items have been done.

And other people probably have other things to chime in but that's all I got for know.

Happy Hunting!
Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:57 PM
Wow thanks! That's a lot of useful info. I am not completely concerned with what engine the thing has, especially since I have the knowledge ,resources, and people to hopefully maintain it well. When I was talking about the facelift i mostly asking about the cosmetic changes but by looking at pictures and the front end swap thread I figured it out on my own. The reason I was concerned about that was I really wanted to do the Wings West W- type kit. Though I hope I can find an 00-02 a front end swap would not be out of question as there is a junkyard within a mile of my house and it seems simple enough to do. If the junkyard doesn't have the parts I could search CL for a car being parted out. I don't belive I have any more questions until I have a car but thanks for all the help.
Saturday, May 24, 2014 5:23 PM
I found a nice '00 z24 on craigslist today. Hopefully it isn't already sold or in bad shape! I am excited to join the j-body community!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search