Help some long time V8 muscle convert to tuner - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help some long time V8 muscle convert to tuner
Friday, May 16, 2014 10:50 PM
Hello all. I've been building monsters for years. However... Up untill now it has all been BIG cars with even BIGGER motors. (850+ HP) My cousin approached me a while back. He wanted me to build him a sport compact but absolutely NOT an import. I had a '99 Cavalier rental ounce and was pretty impressed with the overall HP, handling and design. So I figured it would be a good plateform to start with. Well my cousin bailed on the idea and bought an F-150. Jerk... but I lile the car and took it off his hands. '00 Z24 auto. I've gone about as far as my big block mentality can take me. I purchased a used LD9 stripped it down and got to work. I have bored it 40^, shaved the head, got a performance pully set, chip, port/polished, bigger rad, 13.5 front duel piston breaks, rear dick convert, magnaflow single to duel SS exhaust, adj coil overs all around, 5 speed manuel swap, 215/35/18 on an nice set of 18x8's, did the 2.3 oil swap and even changed all OEM bulbs to LED. Now I'm stuck! I would like to now where I mite find some cam kits, short throw kit, SA fuel mang, upgraded coil pack sys and maybe a complete 2.4 T-3 or T-4 turbo kit with intercool and matching cold air intake. I pride myself on trying to be discrete, un-noticed but original. Or as us motor heads call a sleeper. So no body mods. Must look as close to stock as possible. Thanks for the help and info in advance.

Re: Help some long time V8 muscle convert to tuner
Saturday, May 17, 2014 4:59 AM
Well you got lucky on the year you purchased. The 00-02 cars can be tuned for boost via hp tuners using the ld9 supercharger computer reflash. "The chip" is useless on our cars unless by chip you mean tuned via hp tuners or efi live. As for a turbo kit brad wheeler aka Zyaa used to have an old linginfelter kit for sale otherwise you would be piecing on together yourself. Brandon Fetter produces alsome turbo manifolds still for the ld9 and makes them on occasion when contacted.

Where do you live? Finding a quality tuner for our cars tends to be an issue but we have a few good guys you could use. Also alot of member are in jbody and ld9 and ecotec groups on facebook now. So you might want to join a few of those as well.

Re: Help some long time V8 muscle convert to tuner
Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:47 AM
well lets start off by saying welcome to the jbody scene cams, web cams in cali will do a hard weld and regrind on our stockers for about $800 to whatever spec you want, other than that other "big boy" cams as ill call them aka HG2, HG1, the 226 cams exc. are all only to be found used and from what looking ive done are not easy to find. you can as well do some junk yard hunting and get some high output quad4 2.3 cams or if, and I say if, you can find a W41 quad4 in the yard pull its cams. there is also the secret cam swap witch is a 95 2.3 intake cam and a LD2 or LO? 2.3 exhaust cam. as far as short throw sifters you can look for a used B&M unit, used fideza or ebay has some call the ralco rz witch I has and is a great quality shifter. for the coils you could either do the neon conversion or the 2.2ohv conversion witch both offer msd coils and there is also a few other coil on plug write ups. the search is your friend for sure and I found it best to be as short as possible on my searches for best results, as in "cam swap" "ld9 cam" "coil conversion" exc. I noticed if I was to specific I wouldn't find a lot. trust me there is A LOT!!!!!! to read I have spent hours upon hours on here reading. I also came from the V8 world like you, sbc and ls engines in my case. I found my 01 z24 5 speed responds very well to mods. I am already very happy with how my car runs. all the SI civs around here and the rest of the Honda's, eclipse exc all see my tail light on regular basis and I don't feel my car is highly modified at all. the best thing I did was reduce weight from my car, it absolutely loved it. there are plenty of people on this board who will help you and point you in the right direction. no question is a dumb one man so don't be scared we will all help!!! nice to see a new person join the crew per-say!!

I Love My J ♡
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search