Sway Bar Advice - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sway Bar Advice
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:05 AM
Have a FE1 04 Cavalier (Base model w/ 19mm front and no rear sway bar). I recently bought an addco 1" rear sway bar, my questions are is it safe to run these 2 together even if it will oversteer or no? And if anybody ever tried this setup, howd it go for you?

Re: Sway Bar Advice
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:38 AM
I wouldn't do it. Some people complain that there's too much oversteer with that bar and the FE2 front bar. That's the setup I'm running and it does feel a just a little tail happy but not out of control. With the FE1 bar in the front I would definitely be concerned. The only smaller rear option is the eibach at 22mm, so no matter what you'll need to upgrade the front to do this right.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:54 AM
Depends on your driving style.

I myself have an Eibach rear sway bar with NO front bar at all. Under normal driving conditions, I've never experienced it break loose. However sometimes I will see a nice juicy empty 3 lane left turn ahead, I will take the corner at around 60ish kms. At this point my back end gives out a little. I would advise not to attempt AutoCross with this set up as it gets tricky. I will be getting a front sway bar to match though, but it's a pain to install. I think you would be fine with the stock front sway you have already.
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:20 AM
The benefit outweighs the negative IMO, but for a real dramatic difference, get a larger front bar like the Eibach.... the car stays so flat around tight turns,
it feels more gocart-like and much more fun to drive...I could never go back to driving a J without one.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
There is no easy ways to get HP, no magic box or gizmo... And if you get more hp, there's no way to make your car still behave and sound like a stock one. More hp usually makes your car louder, more vibrations and harder to drive...but still people hope or think maby there's some magic way to have it all, comfort, stock sound and drive.
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the reply. Im putting the bar away as i dont want to get into any trouble. There was a Progress rear bar up for sale, but read something bout rubbing on ebrake cable. That 22mm is a better option for me right?
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:24 AM
If I were you I'd just find a matching addco front and have at it.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:36 AM
Alright man, gonna see what I want to do.. probably coilovers first but since sway bars affect handling a lot, will want to throw those on tooo... thanks all for fast replies!!
Friday, January 02, 2015 1:50 PM
a good rule of thumb, stiff rear and soft front=more tendency to over steer. soft rear and stiff front= more tendency to under steer. that goes for springs as well as sway bars, that being said, most if not all fwd cars have over steer during acceleration, changing the sway bar will help alleviate that and may even add a touch of over steer on braking/coasting.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search