Not a newbie to j cars... Definitly a newbie to this forum... - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Not a newbie to j cars... Definitly a newbie to this forum...
Saturday, October 01, 2016 5:46 PM
Hi I'm currently looking to swap my cavalier. It's a 98 2200 OHV coupe 5speed. I'm not farmiliar with this page, so work with me. I recently inquired about a listing I found which caught my eye. Old man has a COMPLETE DRIVE TRAIN from a skylark. 97-98 2.4 So, knowing I need a compatible trans, and ECU, along with the harness, what else if anything am I missing? Someone please help redirect me to the appropriate thread or whatever!? Thank you!

Re: Not a newbie to j cars... Definitly a newbie to this forum...
Sunday, October 02, 2016 1:40 PM
Hopefully a few more people jump in here, but let me start off...

The Skylark only came with the 4T60-E automatic, which will not be suitable for the J. Your best bet coming from a 5-speed is to stick with it, as the electronics are simpler. Unfortunately that means sourcing not just the LD9 specific Isuzu transmission, but also either sourcing a matching ECU and harness, or hacking up your harness and having the ECU reprogrammed.

There will likely be little things all over the place that you'd want to change out. The good thing is that you can source most everything you need from junkyards and ebay, and everything just fits without having to do any custom work.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search