New from TN - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New from TN
Saturday, August 14, 2021 10:53 AM
Hey all, I'm Daniel and a new member from TN. I just picked up an '89 Z24 a couple of days ago to build. If all goes to plan, this should be fairly unique. It started life as a 2.8l 5spd car but somewhere along the way it either got a 3.1 plenum or a complete 3.1 swap... I have no clue. Maybe somebody here could share some insight based on the pics. I guess ultimately it doesn't matter since I'm planning on selling this pkg.

My plans are to completely strip it (interior and trunk are done), cut out all of the unibody, build a custom chassis (I have a nationwide chassis, but it won't fit of course... that'd be too easy lol). My dad has been building cars ever since I can remember and has worked for several of the upper tier Nascar teams so he has a TON of parts that I'm gonna steal lol.

My ultimate goal for this car is to run it in the Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge, but this will likely be a year or so build.

My question for you experts is how common is the motor/trans pkg and how much could I expect to get for it? I have no idea about running condition but it will turn over by hand. Also, I plan on getting rid of the factory fiberglass hood. Is the fitment on steel hoods from a reg cavalier the same as this fiberglass? If so are there any companies that still sell the steel hoods or am I stuck searching classifieds?

Thanks in advance!

Re: New from TN
Saturday, August 14, 2021 10:54 AM
As it turns out, I can't upload pics from my phone... I'll get some up later.
Sunday, August 15, 2021 2:25 PM
Hi Daniel and welcome to JBO.
The hoods will be a direct swap as long as you use an 88-90 hood. For 91 the Phase II began and one of the changes was the hood latch system. No idea if anyone makes new hoods, I'd guess no. I believe any 88-90 steel J body hood will work, but to be 100% sure, and 88-90 Cavalier hood will certainly work. I think the other brands also use the same hood, but I'm not 100% sure of that..
No idea what the engine and trans would be worth. If you are selling all the 5 speed stuff from the car, I'd be interested in buying it. I don't need an engine though.

Good luck with the build. Please do a build thread as you go along.
Tuesday, August 17, 2021 5:48 AM
Hey Butch, thanks for the welcome and info. I pm'd my number (I think), so feel free to give me a shout about the manual components
Tuesday, August 17, 2021 5:29 PM
I got the number, thanks. I'll give you a call one evening this week. I live in Alexander county, NC. So coming to get everything shouldn't be a problem at all.
We'll talk soon.
Friday, October 22, 2021 3:18 AM
Hey Daniel, how's the build coming along?
Did you find any nice taillights? I still haven't gotten my extra ones out of the pack house. But if you are still needing them, I'll try to get them real soon.
Here are the pictures of both the Phase I and Phase II. These are not my cars. However, I've got either one, so let me know which Phase you'd want and I'll dig them out, this weekend.
Attachments
Phase I 88-90.jpg (73k)
Phase II 91-94.jpg (14k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search