Newby in Southern Ontario - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Newby in Southern Ontario
Wednesday, March 09, 2022 6:41 AM
Hello,
Very glad to have found this forum, my name is Steve. I have a 1985 Pontiac Sunbird LE convertible that I purchased new from the showroom floor. It's been a Summer toy for me over the years and although in it's early years I have taken it to the Maritime provinces and Florida it now mostly stays within a 100km radius of where I live. I have approx. 44 thousand KM on it now. and since I've retired I put about 1000 kms/yr on it. It's red with a white top and 2-tone grey upholstery. The car is very original with most options including a/c. Over the years I have seen fewer and fewer on the roads and I think that I am the only one left in my area, but I hope not. I've come here to find out if there is anyone else in my area. If so, please send me a message.

Re: Newby in Southern Ontario
Friday, March 11, 2022 1:06 PM
Hi Steve and welcome to JBO.
I'm not in your area, but there are quite a few folks that probably are. Somebody may chime in.
You should get some pictures posted. That's a pretty rare car these days, we'd all like to see it.
Saturday, March 12, 2022 5:10 AM
Hi Butch, thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I didn't find this site sooner, looks like it was a pretty busy place at one time. I think most of the photos I have of it are pre digital, so I'll take some with my ipad and post them as soon as the weather clears, still a bit snowy here and it's tucked away in the garage. Even when it was new they didn't sell many 1st Gen convertibles in my area. I suspect it was the price, when loaded up with options they were twice the cost of a base car. I's been many years since I've seen another 1st Gen on the road and I usually get quite a few comments from those over 40 who remember these cars from their youth. Oddly it often gets mistaken for an 80's era Mustang until folks take a closer look. Hopefully there's still a few forum members in my area out there.
Sunday, March 13, 2022 10:18 AM
I took a moment to go to the garage and take a pic of the car with my ipad. The paint and top are original and I have the original 13 inch wheels with white letter Firestone's in storage. I had the side windows tinted in '86 and put the 16" wheels and tires on in '91. I'd like to find a hood insulator but I'm not hopeful that I will.
Attachments
Image.jpeg (553k)

Wednesday, March 16, 2022 1:51 PM
That's a super good looking car, especially being original paint and top. You've taken great care of it.
I too am looking for hood insulation. I've decided to just get some of the material and cutting it out using an old one for a pattern. Not too much molded into the insulation, so it should work okay, even if not exactly like the factory ones.
Monday, March 21, 2022 5:33 AM
Thanks, I thought about making a hood insulator too but sadly I don't have an old one to make a pattern from. Custom hood insulators can be made from heat resistant material but they are not molded, they have to be glued to the hood. Here's the link to the fellow who makes them, I just need a pattern to send him: https://www.hoodliners.net/
Friday, May 13, 2022 12:42 AM
Hope you are enjoying the forums, Steve!
Saturday, May 14, 2022 5:08 AM
Thanks James, lots of good information here. Weather has turned nice enough to get the car out and take some pic's post!
Sunday, May 15, 2022 8:55 AM
Steven Collins wrote:Weather has turned nice enough to get the car out and take some pic's post!
Great, looking forward to seeing them.
Weather is beautiful here too. I've got the top down today.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search