Slower with more mods???... - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Slower with more mods???...
Saturday, December 31, 2005 12:22 AM
David S, The Camaro Guy. wrote:Do you know your actual air-fuel ratio?

Maybe your mods have caused your engine to be lean at WOT. Need to change VE table.

possiable but very doubtful the stock computer is hella crazy when it comes to the magical 14.7 it will go to great lenghts to achive it and I doubt thats the problem.

also just for your personal info a learner AF isnt alwyas a less HP one.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"

Saturday, December 31, 2005 12:19 PM
I was thinking it was actually running a little rich even with all the airflow mods. Because there is alot of black carbon buildup on the inside tip of my exhaust. besides if it was running lean then I think I would gain a little power...

I just got back from getting it inspected. It passed fine with the Magnaflow Hi-flow Cat on there. I didn't drive it very far + it's wet outside. So I couldn't really get on it too hard to see if anything made a difference. But it did seem to have a little more punch down low now.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Saturday, December 31, 2005 4:43 PM
ECOTEC wrote:I was thinking it was actually running a little rich even with all the airflow mods. Because there is alot of black carbon buildup on the inside tip of my exhaust. besides if it was running lean then I think I would gain a little power...

I just got back from getting it inspected. It passed fine with the Magnaflow Hi-flow Cat on there. I didn't drive it very far + it's wet outside. So I couldn't really get on it too hard to see if anything made a difference. But it did seem to have a little more punch down low now.

black carbon= nothing. I have the same build up its just burnt mixture. like I said you need to think of your stock ECU as an overly safe one. its very rare youl find one that does anything besides what it's supposed to . I noticed you were talking about your cams. I am a bit to tire/tipsy to look at it now but if there aftermarktet thats your problem right there. cams need to be adjusedted perfectly before they will work right make sure you get that figured out.

hope this helps

Saturday, December 31, 2005 6:29 PM
ECOTEC im usually on AIM after 7pm at night central time, and that down low kick should help ya out in the 1/4 glad it worked out or so it feels

and with all my mods in my reg. according to the Tech 2 im running a 12.3 A/F at WOT and then yes the magical 14.7 any other time but of course thats just what the Tech 2 reads not sure on how perfectly accurate it is

The one, the only, ME.
Saturday, December 31, 2005 10:24 PM
I had the car out again today and it definetly got it's old power back! all over the RPM band.
It was the ported intake manifold. It runs alot stronger now with the stock one back in! Thanks guys for all the help.

Oh yeah, JCAVI, I don't have the cams in anymore. that was my old engine. this one has never had the stock ones removed. I have them still, but I am afraid I will mess something up if I try to put them back in.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Saturday, December 31, 2005 10:24 PM
with only 2000 miles on the engine it is still tight. give it till around 10,000 then it will loosen up and times will improve. they are real tight from the factory and with todays super slick oils it takes a while before they loosen up and run well.

see ya!

Sunday, January 01, 2006 3:03 AM
ECOTEC wrote:I had the car out again today and it definetly got it's old power back! all over the RPM band.
It was the ported intake manifold. It runs alot stronger now with the stock one back in! Thanks guys for all the help.

Oh yeah, JCAVI, I don't have the cams in anymore. that was my old engine. this one has never had the stock ones removed. I have them still, but I am afraid I will mess something up if I try to put them back in.

oh @!#$ new engine, yeah theres your problem. give it a few miles your fine.

Monday, January 02, 2006 7:28 PM
Jcavi wrote:
David S, The Camaro Guy. wrote:Do you know your actual air-fuel ratio?

Maybe your mods have caused your engine to be lean at WOT. Need to change VE table.

possiable but very doubtful the stock computer is hella crazy when it comes to the magical 14.7 it will go to great lenghts to achive it and I doubt thats the problem.

also just for your personal info a learner AF isnt alwyas a less HP one.

Well, from what I know is that the computer is going to look at your trim and see that it is adding more fuel than usual before WOT. It will consider that when it is only looking at the VE table (WOT), however it took the last trim at a lower RPM. It can't look at the 02's once you go to WOT. The trim would indicate at higher RPM's that you need even more, but it can't look at it so no use. Maybe it is off, maybe not.

I think GM usually sets it to have enough fuel to cause a -5% to -8% trim during normal driving. So you should have enough fuel for some slight mods, but maybe you have gone over what the computer will do.

Wouldn't hurt to play around with an adjustable fuel regulator for those WOT conditions.

Engines seem to be very very picky about AFR. Some will make more power at a leaner AFR. Some don't. I blame slight variations in machine parts for that.
---------------------------------

Carbon won't indicate abnormal conditions. Exhaust smell+color, changing EGT, pitted pistons, spark knock, and discolored plugs will.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search