adjustable struts + auto X - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
adjustable struts + auto X
Sunday, September 10, 2006 11:45 AM
How should I have Koni yellows setup for auto X (yellows with sportlines, sway bars, strut bars, bushings, mounts, ect.. )

should I just adjust them full firm and see what happens and go form there?

Re: adjustable struts + auto X
Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:31 PM
You could try setting it to the stiffest setting for the first run and see how you like it then adjust from there or just set it to full stiff and then maybe a couple clicks soft. Just a couple of options to try. I'm no expert by any means, especially since i have coilovers.

Monday, September 11, 2006 3:21 AM
depends on the surface. very stiff shocks work well on very smooth surfaces but if it is a little uneven or bumpy you might want to soften up. We run AutoXs on an older airstrip and it is little rough and let me tell you, soft is the way to go. I would say try running on the softer side, and stiffen up with each run until you feel that you are starting to lose grip.

Ideally you would want as close to full stiff front, and 50-75% stiff in the rear, but again it depends on the surface.

CAC2004 FSS#1, 2003,2004 Atlantic FSP #1, 2004 Overall Atlantic #1

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 7:07 AM
My setup:
Koni Sport kit (koni springs with the yellow struts)
25mm Addco swaybars front and rear
Strut tower braces.

So, slightly different setup so you know how to take my advice:

I run my rears fully stiff at least for the first run
At the same time, I run my fronts approximately halfway stiff.

Depending on track conditions, this can create a very neutral to slightly oversteering suspension setup for me.

If the track conditions are less than ideal, it can also create a very tail-happy condition off throttle. At that point, then I will adjust the rears to be softer.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Wednesday, September 13, 2006 4:54 AM
I usually like softer front helps for turn in. but usually full stiff in the rear, deffinate on flat surfaces, less on rough bumpy or changing elevations.

-Chris

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 4:56 AM
you could get more grip with softer rear. if you still want more oversteer you could bump the pressure up in the rears. It should be a more controllable setup

CAC2004 FSS#1, 2003,2004 Atlantic FSP #1, 2004 Overall Atlantic #1

Monday, September 18, 2006 10:49 AM
what works really great for me...

full stiff in the rear and full soft in the front...

thats with D-specs, prokit, rear sway, all the bushings, subframe brace, and strut tower bars.. and falken 451 tires 215/45/17

tire psi front 48 rears 36-38

i found on an autox track for me.. that set up worked the best.

on road courses... the rears were still full stiff.. but the fronts were set higher depending on the track conditions... the tire psi started lower than what i wanted the running temp to be.. but when the tires were hot the psi was close to 48-50 psi in the front and 38-40 in the rear

all in all... your set up will reflect your driving style

hope that helps

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:17 PM
Vlad wrote:you could get more grip with softer rear. if you still want more oversteer you could bump the pressure up in the rears. It should be a more controllable setup
I 2nd that!

see ya!

Monday, October 09, 2006 3:54 PM
ok I'm here is my copy and paste mod list on my gay tan cav.

* RKSport Short ram intake
* RKSport upper motot mount
* RKSport lower motor mount
* Prothane front trans mount
* Prothane rear trans mount
* Vibrant front strut tower brace
* Vibrant rear strut tower brace
* FE3 Front sway bar
* Energy Suspension front sway bar end links
* Addco 1" rear sway bar kit
* Koni Yellow struts
* Eibach Sportline lowering springs
* Prothane control arm bushings
* light weight 17" Gunmetal Rota Boost wheels
* Nitto Neo Gen tires
* black chrome McGard Splinedrive tuner style wheel lugs and locks
* modified front axle for wheel clearance (cut down for center cap cleanance)
* Short throw Shifter

I left tire pressures at the normal 33 psi cold, I had both the front and rear struts set right in the middle. It handled very well as is. I started tweeking on stuff, I ended up wth the fronts set full firm and that worked well, with the rears I noticed on high speed wide corners over a small crest in the corseat the brink of traction the rear got slightly sloppy, it would start to hop a bit, almost like wheel hop in the rear butwhere near as sever, just slighly. I ended up with the rears set full firm as well and that cured that issue. I really liked how it handled with everything set full firm. The rear got a little bit tail happy, around corners the rear would stay just slightly off line, not enough where your trying to counter steer in order to not lose it, just enough where the rear would hang out just a tiny bit which made the car feel alot better, it helpd rotate the car out of the corners ect.

What would you guys recomend for tire pressures? and any other helpful hints?

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 7:25 AM
Vlad wrote:you could get more grip with softer rear. if you still want more oversteer you could bump the pressure up in the rears. It should be a more controllable setup

I might have to try that once I get some tires with a stiffer sidewall. I am running just under full pressure right now just to stop the tire from rolling all the way over.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search