2200 stock clutch need some advice - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2200 stock clutch need some advice
Friday, October 19, 2007 9:18 PM
Hey all -- Im looking to possibly (finally) get a run at a 1/4 mile on sunday. Time permitting, itll be just 1 run most likely.

Im in need of some advice on how to launch the car. Ive been doing some launches on abandoned roads around here, but Its notvery good pavement and even with a go-kart you could spin 'em with little effort. I like to keep the launching out of higher traffic areas, so i dont really do it on any pavement thats actually worthwhile.

I will be doing this on my MR7's, NITTO tires, but im not sure of the model 100%.

The car also has a stock clutch.

How high should I launch at? should I do a burnout before the run? how long? Do i use the waterbox, or no?

On the way home tonite I let it out at about 3000 and got some spin and a little hop at the end of the spin.

I want to make the first run count, so i guess in essence, if you could give a first timer a little advice it would be appreciated.

I wanna find out how fast my 2200 is before i swap over the winter.

thanks!

Re: 2200 stock clutch need some advice
Saturday, October 20, 2007 9:04 AM
honstly if it's your first time at the track and you only plan to get in one run, it's probably not going to help you much. we could tell you all kinds of stuff to do but the track conditions will always be different and that's something you can get the feel for only after a few runs. i would really suggest getting a few runs in, otherwise it'll probably be a waste of your time and money.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Tuesday, November 06, 2007 8:42 AM
id try to get in more than 1 run, that way you can see what works for you...

When my 2200 was pretty stock... what i did was go around the water patch, id do a mini bur out to the tree, atleast squeak the tires (sometimes), and id rev it up a lil, maybe 2.5-3k, and dont drop the clutch or you'll spin. you want to get a good launch because it will effect your run the most. as long as you can get it to pull w/out spinning and especially without wheel hop you should be ok... i could hit 2.1-2.2 60's in my stock 2200 all day. my best was a 16.3.

G/L though

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 1:47 PM
Well with my original time crunch, I probaby would have only had time for 1 run.

However, Im going this saturday with my brother.

Ive been working on launches around here (abandoned roads and such) and on cold pavement I can launch with minimal wheelspin (but the tires try and break loose all the way through 1st)

Im hoping that i can work that into a nice launch at a track. ive got the feel for how the car likes to drive (aside from being on good pavement for a launch).

How stock was your cav when you ran a 16.3? What tires were you running?

I think the only thing for me will be the wheels are a bit heavier than stock, but the tires stick better. Im going to remove my sub/amp and rear seat (as its from a gto and like 15lbs or more heavier than the stock seat)

Ill post up results when I get them, unless something comes up and I dont go. Thanks for the pointers!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search