posi traction diff - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
posi traction diff
Tuesday, September 07, 2010 12:29 PM
does anyone sell a mini spool , or can I weld the diff in my 01 cavy 2.4 auto.?

Re: posi traction diff
Wednesday, September 08, 2010 5:30 AM
yes, you can weld the diff but it wont turn for crap...

team green is a member based 'company' if you will that has been selling an insert type 'LSD' on here for the better part of a decade. id bet 200 cars have had those inserts in the past, if not more. that is one option.

I feel like taking a tinkle on an ecNOtec...
Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:34 AM
thanks! I 'll look in to that
Wednesday, September 08, 2010 10:34 AM
You can weld the diff in anything, just make sure you use an axle stub to line everything up before welding it.

My buddy has a welded diff in his 91 cavalier and he drives it all over the place, and occasionally 10 hour round trips to dyno days.

Also my other buddy has a welded diff in his maxima (literally the worlds fastest maxima....google it) and he probably puts 20,000km on his car a year driving from drag strip to drag strip.

The whole it won't turn thing is BS, sure its harder to turn in a parking lot....but really.....even then is barely noticeable from the drivers seat.

On the highway you won't even feel a thing.

Thursday, September 09, 2010 3:49 AM
this is a dirt track car.
Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:09 AM
closed diff on a front wheel drive car is just stupid, unless its a drag queen or you like uncontrollable understeer.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:56 AM
Leafy wrote:closed diff on a front wheel drive car is just stupid, unless its a drag queen or you like uncontrollable understeer.

No its not stupid at all, it will act like a LSD on a dirt track and like I said you can 100% drive with a welded diff in a FWD car on a highway, I know two people that do it, and if no one told you the diff was welded and you drove either car you probably wouldn't even notice it was welded.

"Uncontrollable Under-steer" is no where near an accurate statement.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:01 AM
Well thats what it should i in theory. the outside tire should skip then if you're going fast enough it will stay in a lost traction state which will then cause the inside tire to loose traction. At least that what theory says, real life can certainly prove theory wrong.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, September 15, 2010 10:26 AM
In theory that would be true if the difference in revolutions of the two tires was something huge.

For instance, if the corner you are trying to turn was say 500ft in radius, and the width of a car is what....5 feet?

That means the inside tire travels ~625 feet and the outside tire travels ~640 feet.

Which means it is spinning about 2.5% faster.

That would be the equivalent of like a side road curve, on a highway the minimum for a 55mph highway would be ~1400 foot radius.

Which would work out to a 0.3% difference between wheel rotations......hardly breaking traction.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:55 AM
I know someone who has spool in his Jeep, they definitely drag the tires in parking lots. You can hear the tires barking (WOOF WOOF!) when he makes tight corners at low speeds. It isn't too bad when the radius of the turn is large though.

You could always get a real differential such as a Quaife.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search