compter location....... - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
compter location.......
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:24 PM
has anyone relocated the computer from inside the right front wheel well and placed it into the passenger cabin? i race on an asphalt oval and the right front gets hit plenty of times lol. last race of the 2010 season a guy took a direct hit on right front corner and it broke the computer. i was just wondering how much of a hassle this would be. is there enough wiring in the harness or does some have to be added? any info on this is welcome

Re: compter location.......
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:52 PM
People do it all the time, they also hide it under the wiper cowl.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:56 AM
Leafy wrote:People do it all the time, they also hide it under the wiper cowl.

That's the Ecotec ECU, the OP is talking about the LD9/LN2 ECU. It isnt as small as the eco.

Error: Sig not found.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:42 AM
Would be a lot of work, generally I think when I had this system, I know that the wiring splits kinda wierd to be able to do it. With lots of work anything is possible though!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:26 PM
We move computers all the time on demolition derby cars, and both our Cavalier race cars have the computer relocated to the glove box area. In most cases you can unplug the computer, reroute the wires thru the hole where the heater core used to be, then make a new mounting system for the computer & plug it back in.
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:27 PM
Have you seen the layout of a 95 harness? I would think reliability would be an issue here??

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:00 PM
i ran my old 95's engine harness back into the wiper cowl. Cut the Abs wiring, and reroute. No adding wire or anything. The eco ecu is already hiding on the wiper cowl.

1994 Cavalier 2.2 5 Speed - Scrapped.
1994 Cavalier Z24 3.1 Auto - Enduro
1995 Cavalier 2.2 Auto - Figure 8
Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:47 PM
so all i have to do is route the wiring through an existing hole in the firewall? and everything will stretch that far with no issue? thank you that should help immensely. just another project for the next few months lol
Monday, January 23, 2012 10:36 AM
i run a 99 sunfire gt and the computer fell out of the first car i had so when i built my new one i moved my battery to the trunk and my computer to where the battery was there were no important wires that got cut to be able to do it and no reason they run the thing all the way over there
Monday, January 23, 2012 10:49 AM
What about the coolant and ABS wires? Screw the AC stuff.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, January 23, 2012 11:52 AM
ABS doesnt exist on my car anymore lol so thats no problem. as far as the battery i cant remove battery from stock location (track rules). so i almost have to bring it into the cabin area cuz there is no more room under the hood that i can see

Sunday, March 25, 2012 6:51 PM
Will it lay underneath the battery or on top of it? It is very easy to move to this area. all the wires just swing back to here.
Monday, April 02, 2012 4:27 PM
I moved the one on my 96 that i race up next to the brake booster, just removed the stock intake system. There's plenty of wire there if you cut the abs, headlights/signal wires, and i think the ones for the A/C.

The wiring harness runs along the front of the car, giving you plenty of wire to relocate it. It never occurred to me to move mine myself until i saw a car get taken out after hitting the wall with that front corner, glad i moved it, otherwise my car probably wouldn't run anymore.

I'm guessing any circle track you're going to take a lot of damage to the front passenger corner, especially when you race a place like i do where there's no such thing as a black flag as long as you don't intentionally ram the drivers door. lol

If your front passenger corner is flattened as much as mine then moving it is definitely a wise decision.

96 2.2L, #66 on the dirt track
Sunday, May 06, 2012 3:46 PM
I also moved the computer to the inside of the car. Right up against the firewall where the front passenger's feet use to go. I also added a wire off of it to ground it. Had issues around corners due to a loose computer. Last year was wasted with that and thinking it was a fuel pump issue.
Thursday, August 09, 2012 12:24 PM
thanks to all that posted on here was able to move the computer with no issues at all and everything is running smoothly
Thursday, May 09, 2013 7:30 AM
I have a 97 Computer under wiper cowl, and a powered 98 computer on passenger floor board. LOL
Sunday, June 01, 2014 9:38 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:What about the coolant and ABS wires? Screw the AC stuff.

I am working on relocating the computer right now, to keep it protected. The ABS wires were easy in my harness, they we twisted together back to the big black plug by the firewall (40 pin?), just thread them through until free. There are three other connectors that I am wondering about, one for coolant, one for evap canister and one for AC. I don't need the AC, as it was problematic and that system was removed.

Are the coolant and evap sensors resistance based or can the wires be lengthened without problems? Both have wire running directly to the computer and would need to be within ~2ft of the computer otherwise.

Anyone know?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search