ride height - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ride height
Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:54 PM
does anyone know of any way I can lower my car to about 5.5" from the pinch weld flange to the ground while using the stock struts. we are sitting at about 8.5" right now. a local guy bought a car that had one of the shocks that had a section cut out of it and then welded back together. however I just don't know if I could trust the weld no matter how good it is. any input on this would be helpful. Thanks, Jason

Re: ride height
Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:24 PM
Why does it have to be stock struts?

Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:18 PM
rules
Monday, March 25, 2013 4:28 AM
Relocate the mounting points on the strut towers is about the only way for that much drop on stock struts... And im not sure how safe or legal that would be. That being said your suspension geometry will be way out of effective range of motion.

why do you want to go that low? best handling is usually found with the control arms parallel to the ground.

Monday, March 25, 2013 4:44 AM
racer10 wrote:does anyone know of any way I can lower my car to about 5.5" from the pinch weld flange to the ground while using the stock struts. we are sitting at about 8.5" right now. a local guy bought a car that had one of the shocks that had a section cut out of it and then welded back together. however I just don't know if I could trust the weld no matter how good it is. any input on this would be helpful. Thanks, Jason

I really hope I'm reading that wrong because if I'm not that sounds extremely dangerous and needs to be addressed immediately.
Monday, March 25, 2013 2:29 PM
nope you read it completely correct. that's the same thing I thought. but whoever did it must have been really good because it held for him all last year and he won the championship but I still don't want to do it. we are going to look at his car some time this week to see if he has anything else done to it to lower it cause that is just done on one strut that I know of.
Thursday, May 09, 2013 3:35 AM
RED wrote:
racer10 wrote:does anyone know of any way I can lower my car to about 5.5" from the pinch weld flange to the ground while using the stock struts. we are sitting at about 8.5" right now. a local guy bought a car that had one of the shocks that had a section cut out of it and then welded back together. however I just don't know if I could trust the weld no matter how good it is. any input on this would be helpful. Thanks, Jason

I really hope I'm reading that wrong because if I'm not that sounds extremely dangerous and needs to be addressed immediately.

lol your forgetting that that his car wasn’t made for street use. My “racing” club requires a full faced helmet, racing seat, fire suite, 5 point seat belt harness, and a full roll cage... we are racing cars that are expected to wreck. I’ve hit walls doing 70 mph, multiple times, and every time ive ever climbed out of my car after wrecking I’m just disappointed that I couldn’t finished… consistency and speed wins championships ya know lol and when your only turning left caster really helps… btw as long as you can trust your car to keep you safe go ahead and cut coils preferably at the bottom so the upper baring cups are still useable. I’ve been doing it for the last 2 years and ive never had an issue. BUT don’t do this on a street car its not safe for every day applications, and or if you don’t feel your car can keep you safe. Just remember deceleration trauma kills.
Thursday, May 09, 2013 3:39 AM
btw I have never hit a wall or another competitor because of a mechanical failure in the past 4 seasons of racing (about 64 races)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search