Ignition change - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ignition change
Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:01 PM
I want to replace my stock steering wheel and eliminate the need for a key to start it on my 99 Cav. I would like to put in a racing style ignition switch with a push button start (it's a oval track car). Just wondering how to install correctly. Done it lots of times on old GM cars but this is my first 4 cylinder race car build.

Thanks!

Re: Ignition change
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:35 PM
i am also curious about his
Re: Ignition change
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:06 PM
I have a 00 cavailer and the way I done mine is....First off you need to use your key and get it it started to where its running normal if the security is shutting the car down it wont work...but while its running unplug the passlock plug thats on the colum that goes to the igniton switch. this will disable passlock to where u dont haft to turn the key to start the car...i then took the black box off the backside of the igniton switch that the wires plug into i had to leave the plugs pluged into that box to keep passlock from shutting it down i can't recall if I had to put the switch in the box on acc. or if i left it off you'll just haft to play with that part of it...Ok next the two plugs one has like two reds and a couple others use the first red wire i took one of those squeeze on splicer connectors and spliced a peice of the same gauge wire into it and ran it to a toggle this is our power into the toggle. Next on the other plug use same style connector and same gauge wire and splice into the pink wire on the other plug run this to the other side of your toggle switch this will give the fuel pump power...Ok next use same method and splice into either the same red wire or the next one it don't matter which one run this wire to a good 20amp or above push button this again will be our power in. Next using the same method on the same plug as the pink wire splice into the yellow wire run that to the otherside of your pushbutton......OK I hope that this helps ya out man like i said i run a 00 cavey an thats how I run mine flip toggle on to get fuel wait a couple seconds then hit the pushbutton and shes purren like a kitten lol...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search