my rim broke off.. - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
my rim broke off..
Friday, August 24, 2007 10:01 AM
i was on my way home last night.an outta nowhere i got a ridiculous vibration in the right front.then my front end slammed on the ground.and i looked to my right an my rim was rollin away..luckily i was able to get it to a stop before it went in the ditch..it turns out.my wheel spacer snapped.cause the rim to wobble.which put to much pressure on the studs.and snapped all 5 of them.as of now all i need is a new front bumper.fenders.hood.and a new rear thanks to the wrecking service.

Re: my rim broke off..
Friday, August 24, 2007 10:04 AM
man im really sorry that happened that happened to a friend of mine. he did not tighten all the lugs up and it happened to him. but not trying to be mean at all but if i saw tht happen i would have laughed my ass off. but again im not trying to be mean. just the fact my wheel ran away from the car is crazy funny. but man im really sorry to hear that. at least you were ok after that happened.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=108174799
Friday, August 24, 2007 10:04 AM
better grab your flame suit

Friday, August 24, 2007 10:10 AM
Well before anybody flames, did you have longer wheel studs?

I have spacers but I have 2.5" arp lug nuts on there.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, August 24, 2007 10:24 AM
well im guessin its a spacer.like it was a plastic piece that went inside the hub of the wheel so it fit tight.

Friday, August 24, 2007 10:44 AM
thats a hub ring, sure it just wasnt ur lugs werent tighted? i had that happen to me with my 18s last spring almost, all because i forgot to tighten the lugs on the front pass cuz the car was sitting on ramps and lost track and excitement of the rims, and i put the center caps on. couple days later on highway i took a turn off and my car started shaking so bad i pulled over, didnt see any problem so i drove the mile to sndsgood's house very slow and got there we found out my pass wheel 1 lug stud broke and the rest were bout half threaded on and were easily able to spin off with my hand, the wheel was sitting at a angle(bout a 1/2" gab from the rim hub and the rotor where it was supposed to be sitting against flush in the area the lug broke), if i drove any longer who knew how bad it coulda got, prolly just as bad as yours was. and for yours i have a feeling a lug went first and, then the hub ring broke from being hit couple times on the hub being thrashed on the hub from the wobble of the lugs and im sure the bad vibration also caused the rest to break off from the first one breaking.. even if the hub ring cracked the hub shoulda kinda kept it in place and if ur lugs were on tight i wouldnt think it would cause the problem. i am almost betting on the fact it was your lugs first.

Friday, August 24, 2007 10:59 AM
Yup, that was your hub ring that fell off.. But that didnt cause your rim to go flyin.. You may not of tightend your wheel all the way.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, August 24, 2007 11:12 AM
hub rings wont fall off unless your wheel falls off. my guess is either you didnt tighten your lugs or someone loosened then

Friday, August 24, 2007 11:25 AM
well.mine all happened within a matter of seconds.like.it started vibratin ridiculously.then it came off..and back around the spot where it came off we found the spacer layin in the road broke.

Friday, August 24, 2007 11:29 AM
hub ring not spacer. even if it was broke, i highly doubt it would shear off all the studs. maybe 1 or 2 but not all 5. the main purpose of the hub ring is to take the weight of the wheel off the studs and place it on the hub. if you dont have a hub ring then the weight it on the studs which is why people shear studs off sometime. i doubt though even if its broke like i said it would shear off all 5.

Friday, August 24, 2007 11:36 AM
well it did.and i mean my wheel did come off.so it makes perfect sence.

Friday, August 24, 2007 12:14 PM
were you lugs still attached to the studs?

Friday, August 24, 2007 2:55 PM
what i believe he is trying to say is that the hubcentric ring should fit tightly around the hub and tightly inside the hub bore of your wheel and if it indeed did crack then it is unlikely that it would just fall out, however if you had the incorrect size ring in there then it would only eliminate some of the play around the hub still addimg undue stress to the wheel studs. if it was truely too small and did crack up that could cause what happened to your wheel.

did you find any of the broken stud ends, if so did they still have the lugs seated in them?

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:47 PM
torque wrench.... make it your new best friend

1997 RedR - ZedR
Friday, August 24, 2007 7:58 PM
same thing happened to my roommate a couple weeks ago....cause by loose rim
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:35 PM
I see cars get towed into work, with wheels that break off. Seen some pretty ugly ones to.

One time a Ford Taurus, the ball joint broke apaprt. Needed new RF ball joint, control arm, inner/outer tie rod, axle, sway bar links and bushing,. the other side had a bad LF outer /inner tie rod. That is due to crashing into a ditch once the ball joint seperated.

most recently this week a Pontiac van was towed to us. Ball joint broke apart, LF control arm, both tie rods, ball joint at least that much. The van is still sitting in the pakring lot, because it also bent two rims, ripped the front bumper off, and the headlights are broke, may be a salvage vehicle.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Monday, September 24, 2007 1:38 PM
That was one of the first things they taught us in my auto shop class. NEVER, EVER hand tighten lug nuts. If you put them on with your fingers just thread them on with one or two turns that way you notice it before the car leaves the shop. I've since made that a practice no matter what seeing as how i typically thread them all the way down, get em locked down finger tight then torque them....WAY to risky.

Glad your okay but lets have this serve as an example. Do not, EVER finger tight your lug nuts.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Tuesday, October 09, 2007 5:16 PM
whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:torque wrench.... make it your new best friend

x2

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search