My tow rig project- old school style - Page 8 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:32 PM
JoeBiv318 wrote:The frame is 3x6 1/4 wall- heavy duty for towing capacity and because the frame is also the air tank.

That is built like a TANK. I thought maybe 2X5 but is very hard to tell from pics. Quick calculations and you should have about 11.5-12 gallons per side of air space! that should do it! What are you using for a compressor? Engine driven? What max psi are you looking at putting in the tanks? Thanks

Pretty much right on with the volume, almost exactly what we were figuring.
Using a York engine driven compressor. I have a 110-145 pressure switch right now but i think i may go with a lower pressure switch before i even drive it since i definitely wont need 145psi for anything but air tools. Need to decide for sure what to do about that.

_

Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:47 PM
A few more pictures, the frame colour seems to show a bit lighter on my screen than it is but its got colour anyway.
Valve covers and intake manifold- all charge piping and coolant pipes will be the same. Still need to wrap the downpipe where it runs close to the cab.

The only front suspension pics i could find on my computer.

_

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:20 PM
145 psi should sound good through a set of air horns!!!
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:10 PM
me want

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:59 PM
thats effing sick man! i think airhorns would be a fantastic addition... im a former truck driver and this thing gets me pumped!
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:00 PM
I bet you could fit a nice sized train horn under that hood

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:27 PM
JoeBiv318 wrote:145 psi should sound good through a set of air horns!!!

I have air horns for it (a triple set) Have only tried them at 100psi, probably shouldnt have done it in the shop since my ears were ringing for a while afterwards. They are mounted under the cab since by the time all the pipework is under the hood there is very little room. Also have a regular horn set up in case i want/need it- unlikely

_

Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:24 PM
If you weren't intending to lay frame you could almost make it a drive on ramp back and put the ball mount in the middle.....

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:09 PM
wtf updates?!?!

Thursday, December 03, 2009 5:55 AM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:wtf updates?!?!

Oh hai???

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Thursday, December 03, 2009 1:28 PM
Here's some motivation, shot these the other day. Had to post!

Thursday, December 03, 2009 2:57 PM
^^ the outlaw 2's and 4x4 decal don't belong but other than that...

Saturday, December 05, 2009 5:49 AM
Some new pics. Not too much has changed as i have been mostly doinf body work and a lot of other things have kept me busy lately. Anyway here is a few shots with my brothers frame for his mazda b2200 (yes it thoroughly puts mine to shame but i'm ok with that its bad@ss)

_

Saturday, December 05, 2009 5:53 AM
His looks like a little toy next to yours

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Saturday, December 05, 2009 7:10 AM
im sure when yorus is done even though its a daily it will turn just as many heads, if not more once you lay it out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Saturday, December 05, 2009 8:40 AM
LOL!! I like how yours is layed out and has NO camber issues....yet your brothers has WICKED camber issues lol. Nice to see....can't wait till its done

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Saturday, December 05, 2009 11:37 AM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:His looks like a little toy next to yours

Its true, for some reason it looks more obvious in the pictures than it seems in the shop.

sndsgood wrote:im sure when yorus is done even though its a daily it will turn just as many heads, if not more once you lay it out.

Dont know, but it will be real nice to cruise/drag them together next year. When you see his in person it is nothing short of awesome- detailed to perfection, and just plain crazy.

slvrblit wrote:LOL!! I like how yours is layed out and has NO camber issues....yet your brothers has WICKED camber issues lol. Nice to see....can't wait till its done

The joys of solid axle front and rear . The camber is very reasonable for any rocker dragging truck- and considering the size of wheels its set up for and the available space its nothing short of exceptional (as a side note the rear isnt dialed in yet again after it was pulled apart when it went for powder coating)

_

Sunday, December 06, 2009 11:43 AM
I like the touch of diamond plate in the rear. It would be a nice touch to have it on the tanks/steps up front, too.

Any updated progress on the rear fenders?

Sunday, December 06, 2009 7:45 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:I like the touch of diamond plate in the rear. It would be a nice touch to have it on the tanks/steps up front, too.

Any updated progress on the rear fenders?

Steps are diamond plate too, i think i need a better camera for in the shop. The rear fenders arent anything fancy right now, just rolled steel with round bar for lip. They may get redone a liitle different - but they bolt off real easy so i can worry about it later.

_

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 2:25 PM
Tuesday, December 08, 2009 2:47 PM
1997ztwo4 wrote:Some new pics. Not too much has changed as i have been mostly doinf body work and a lot of other things have kept me busy lately. Anyway here is a few shots with my brothers frame for his mazda b2200 (yes it thoroughly puts mine to shame but i'm ok with that its bad@ss)

is that a ls series v8 in your brothers truck?

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 4:28 PM
modular

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:30 AM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:modular

This.
Its a 4.6l 32v out of a lincoln. Its a really wide engine due to being DOHC, but that was what made it an interesting (and difficult) engine to use.

_

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:25 AM
wow this truck is coming along awesome.....cant wait for more pics

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:44 AM
all i have to say is...... there is no u in color

kidding looks great man.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search