powell raceshop harness bar - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
powell raceshop harness bar
Friday, July 08, 2011 7:44 PM
Got my Powell raceshop harness bar in and installed. All I can say is quality parts. Great price, fast shipping. And the car is now stiff as hell above the doors.
Attaches from the upper to lower seatbelt posts, then across from upper posts. Then finally all torqued down.

Re: powell raceshop harness bar
Friday, July 08, 2011 10:04 PM
I guess making it impossible to put someone in the back seat is worth having a non-approved, unsafe bar that you shouldn't be using for an actual race harness.....

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Friday, July 08, 2011 10:16 PM
It compliments the illegal tint, the no catalytic converter, and the driver that doesn't give a damn.

Also no one has ridden in the back seat since Feb of 2007. Not really concerned, thanks for yours tho

Friday, July 08, 2011 10:21 PM
No... it doesn't compliment the tint or catless exhaust. That would imply that it's illegal. I was simply stating it's destruction of practicality and unsafe manner if used as it's name implies.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Friday, July 08, 2011 10:25 PM
Its purchase was simply to stiffen up the b pillars of the car. Nothing more. And 6 bolts and 2 minutes make the back seat useable if need be. I don't use mine so I don't care.

Friday, July 08, 2011 10:30 PM
im gonna be getting one of the likes too, since John doesnt make one for our cars.

Ill get it because its better than having the seatbelts at a downward angle.

Also I will comment on it making the car more rigid. Rode in pretty much 2 identical cars at an auto x and could easily tell which had it and which did not.

Dustin, if you want to go for legal/unsafe deal.... look at 90% of the cars on here that are boosted... that in itself is not legal, nor is it safe... I look at the harness bar like rear passengers wearing seatbelts... personal choice to wear it and personal choice to install that. We do a lot of things to our cars that is not safe... look at the speed limiter for one, illegal and not safe... the bar is a NICE built piece by a guy who road courses an ion and does very well with it.

Friday, July 08, 2011 10:42 PM
Thank you! John knows his stuff and backs it with years of experience. Also did you know john helped development of GM upgrading for the lsj stage kits option b setup and dual pass?

Almost any car that's modified in one way or another might not be legal or safe. There's pros and cons in any situation
Some people harp on it, others move on with their day accepting what is

Friday, July 08, 2011 10:52 PM
How much is this is you dont mind me asking? And it looks like someone could still get into the back.

Plus I am envious of your arm rest.

Friday, July 08, 2011 10:55 PM
Arm rest was hands down best mod to date. Got it used off of CSS for 40$

It was 492 shipped from when they were stateside for ced meet.

Comes powdercoated wrinkle black standard. Colors are 10$ more

Friday, July 08, 2011 10:57 PM
Seems like a real decent handling mod and easy install. Love it. But I will personally start with the rear sway bar.

And I need to find a great deal like that on there. haha.

Friday, July 08, 2011 11:01 PM
If I had to do it again id buy Powell's rear bar, but I bought mine before he was in cobalt land so I went with progress. I'm happy with it and it was $110 shipped

Saturday, July 09, 2011 8:21 AM
Had to make sure I wasn't logged into GMSC this morning, nope, still JBO.

Saturday, July 09, 2011 8:59 AM
looks interesting

its def a quality piece but i would really want a roll bar /4 point cage with true harness setup

what seats are you gonna run with the harness's ?

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Saturday, July 09, 2011 11:49 AM
I'm not I just wanted the bar for b pillar tightening

Saturday, July 09, 2011 12:43 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:Had to make sure I wasn't logged into GMSC this morning, nope, still JBO.

ZIP IT PEDDER FAN BOY lol.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 4:36 PM
Carbon Cavi wrote:I'm not I just wanted the bar for b pillar tightening

Simply used as a brace it's not bad, but not something that should EVER be used for harnesses from a safety standpoint.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:38 PM
It will never be in my car.

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:14 AM
John Powell (the owner of Powell Raceshop) built all the Grand AM Series (Koni Challange) Cobalts for GM.

He was also worked very closely with GM in the delevopment of the Cobalt SS and prototyped the LNF in his Cobalt race car before it was ever on sale.

To say that his products are not of the highest quality is slightly ignorant if you don't know who he is or what he has acomplished.

If John says that harness bar is safe...then I wouldn't have a doubt in my mind that it is infact, safe.

He doesn't f*ck around.

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:19 AM
newt wrote:John Powell (the owner of Powell Raceshop) built all the Grand AM Series (Koni Challange) Cobalts for GM.

He was also worked very closely with GM in the delevopment of the Cobalt SS and prototyped the LNF in his Cobalt race car before it was ever on sale.

To say that his products are not of the highest quality is slightly ignorant if you don't know who he is or what he has acomplished.

If John says that harness bar is safe...then I wouldn't have a doubt in my mind that it is infact, safe.

He doesn't f*ck around.

It's nothing against him or his knowledge or quality.

As said used as a brace this thing is fine.

Used as a harness bar you risk your life unless the car is caged or atleast has a rollbar.

Simple as that and it's why harness bars are not allowed in sanctioned events.

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:28 AM
Harness bars, guaranteed to start a cock fight since 1937.

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:41 AM
I wasn't trying to be a dick, after re-reading my post it came off kinda harsh.

I just wanted to say that John Powell knows what he is doing, and that his products are of high quality.

Posting in the early hours of work on a Monday = not a good idea...haha

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:20 AM
newt wrote:I wasn't trying to be a dick,

I just wanted to say that John Powell knows what he is doing, and that his products are of high quality.

I agree 2000 percent

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:14 AM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:
newt wrote:John Powell (the owner of Powell Raceshop) built all the Grand AM Series (Koni Challange) Cobalts for GM.

He doesn't f*ck around.

It's nothing against him or his knowledge or quality.

As said used as a brace this thing is fine.

Used as a harness bar you risk your life unless the car is caged or atleast has a rollbar.

Simple as that and it's why harness bars are not allowed in sanctioned events.

HOWEVER.... safe to agree that its better than running the belts down to the back seat? better to have that bar than no bar for the harnesses? I mean I know its still not the perfect way to do it... but for those of us who wont cage the car, would you agree that its a better option as a harness bar than no bar at all?

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:24 AM
Yes and no.

If you are doing slowspeed autox type events it can be good for holding you in place.

For daily driving or any higher speed type driving I would say stick with the stock 3 point or get a rollbar.

Monday, July 11, 2011 4:07 PM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:Yes and no.

If you are doing slowspeed autox type events it can be good for holding you in place.

For daily driving or any higher speed type driving I would say stick with the stock 3 point or get a rollbar.

The seat should be holding you in place if thats what you want to do. Since one you shouldn't be using harnesses with stock seats and two you should never use harnesses without a harness bar. The bar isn't there to hold all the weight. Its mainly to change the angle of the harnesses. You run a very good risk of breaking your collar bone at even low speeds without a harness bar. There is a huge thread about this on clubroadster.net (Miata forums) since a lot of people use harnesses and a harness bar due to high roll over risk with no roof. Given they are also using a roll bar, but they are still using a bolt in harness bar just as this. There are also many people who owe their lives to harnesses and harness bars.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search