Rotating tires with tire pressure sensors - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rotating tires with tire pressure sensors
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:15 AM
Need to rotate my wife's 2010 G6 and wanted to know how to reset the tires so they are reading the right location without going to the dealership?

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"

Re: Rotating tires with tire pressure sensors
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:16 AM
Process is covered in the owners manual under tires.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:26 AM
lol hey at least you want to do it right. i cant tell you how many cars we've gotten in here at hertz with the sensors all messed up.

needless to say i despise tire pressure sensors with a passion.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:14 AM
the fact they are mandatory is abhorrent. the systems don't do a whole hell of a lot unless you have a blow out. guess what you will notice that when it happens. so much govt nannying...

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:07 PM
put key in ignition
turn to the run position but don't start
while in the run position hold the lock and unlock buttons together till the horn honks
Let air out of the drivers front tire till the horn honks
Let air out of passenger front tire till horn honks
Let air out of passenger rear tire till horn honks
Let air out of drivers side rear tire till horn honks.

Now your TPMS should all be reset and should read correctly. Just make sure to re adjust tire pressures to specs inside the door.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:05 PM
The09GXP wrote:put key in ignition
turn to the run position but don't start
while in the run position hold the lock and unlock buttons together till the horn honks
Let air out of the drivers front tire till the horn honks
Let air out of passenger front tire till horn honks
Let air out of passenger rear tire till horn honks
Let air out of drivers side rear tire till horn honks.

Now your TPMS should all be reset and should read correctly. Just make sure to re adjust tire pressures to specs inside the door.

good thing that is not too complicated...

then again i accidentally set my 02 trailblazer ltz's display to arabic while i was effing around.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:47 PM
I hate those damn things, I can wait to get the tune to ignore the bastards.

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:29 AM
Mike (Needs Boost) wrote:the fact they are mandatory is abhorrent. the systems don't do a whole hell of a lot unless you have a blow out. guess what you will notice that when it happens. so much govt nannying...

The fact that you don't understand their true benefit is abhorrent. I'm guessing you've never owned a car new enough to have them. Believe me they are worth their weight in gold. With seasonal temperature changes I have to air up my tires every 6 months or so. Sure I could just check the pressure with a gauge, but come on now, who remembers to do that regularly? I sure don't. But as soon as my truck's tires drop below 30 PSI, there's the nice warning light letting me know. I WISH my Vibe had sensors. They added them in 06, but mine is an 05. Sucks.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:42 AM
The TPMS in my CX-7 is worthless. I put the sensors in my summer wheels, and when I put my winter wheels on it took my car 3 weeks to realize that they weren't installed. Seriously, I drove for 3 weeks without sensors and the light on my dash didn't go off. One day it was like "Wait, something's not right here, oh yeah, the tire pressure might be low, yeah let's set off that light." Luckily I'm not a moron and didn't drive around on a flat tire for 3 weeks waiting for my car to tell me.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:07 PM
Mike (Needs Boost) wrote:the fact they are mandatory is abhorrent. the systems don't do a whole hell of a lot unless you have a blow out. guess what you will notice that when it happens. so much govt nannying...

You can thank the Ford/Firestone fiasco for that. If business was responsible and Ford made a chassis not prone to flip so easily, government wouldn't have mandated TPS. Key detail on that case was Ford needed to have 26PSI on each tire so the truck sits lower. When it was 30psi it flipped over to easily. So at a low PSI, caused excessive heat, then tire separation. Open up the the doors on today's SUVs and none is less than 30PSI for their recommended level.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:16 AM
Dave wrote:

The fact that you don't understand their true benefit is abhorrent. I'm guessing you've never owned a car new enough to have them. Believe me they are worth their weight in gold. With seasonal temperature changes I have to air up my tires every 6 months or so. Sure I could just check the pressure with a gauge, but come on now, who remembers to do that regularly? I sure don't. But as
soon as my truck's tires drop below 30 PSI, there's the nice warning light letting me know. I WISH my Vibe had sensors. They added them in 06, but mine is an 05. Sucks.

BAH! I'd still rather have a car without them. For one, they fail on a regular basis, after a couple years they're known to leak(the metal sleeve style, not the GM rubber stem style) especially on aluminum wheels, if someone adds fix a flat to a TPMS equipped car, it almost always ruins the sensor,and they're a PITA to change low-profile tires if it has a stem mounted TPMS. And lastly, I'm just a stickler for maintenance and think people should be required to know basic maintenance procedures before getting their licences.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:31 AM
Roofy wrote: BAH! I'd still rather have a car without them. For one, they fail on a regular basis, after a couple years they're known to leak(the metal sleeve style, not the GM rubber stem style) especially on aluminum wheels, if someone adds fix a flat to a TPMS equipped car, it almost always ruins the sensor,and they're a PITA to change low-profile tires if it has a stem mounted TPMS. And lastly, I'm just a stickler for maintenance and think people should be required to know basic maintenance procedures before getting their licences.

I couldn't agree more.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:29 AM
the metal sleeve style can be fixed with a 12mm socket and a new o ring

Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:00 PM
Dave wrote:

The fact that you don't understand their true benefit is abhorrent. I'm guessing you've never owned a car new enough to have them. Believe me they are worth their weight in gold. With seasonal temperature changes I have to air up my tires every 6 months or so. Sure I could just check the pressure with a gauge, but come on now, who remembers to do that regularly? I sure don't. But as soon as my truck's tires drop below 30 PSI, there's the nice warning light letting me know. I WISH my Vibe had sensors. They added them in 06, but mine is an 05. Sucks.

I totally agree. I have to put air in my truck tires weekly because they are aluminum rims and well, they leak. typical aluminum wheel in the cold. My tpms tell me that right on the dash by hitting a button.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 7:56 AM
lol i like how some of them even do the spare tire... thats sure fun to realize after you've wasted 30 minutes airing up the regular tires and the fricking light is still on.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:49 AM
The spare is hooked to the sensor system as well? Oh eff all that lol

RIP JessE -- You are not forgotten! | FaceBook | G+
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:05 AM
JHand wrote:The spare is hooked to the sensor system as well? Oh eff all that lol

They are usually a full size spare. Your also supposed to do a 5 tire rotation also. Hence why the spare would have one.

Friday, March 02, 2012 3:54 PM
I got rid of mine I hate TPMS. I removed all sensors and wrapped each one in thin foam. Like you use in blankets. I then placed them all in a large piece of PVC pipe. Put a cap on each end, then on one in drilled a small hole and put a valve stem on it. Aired it up to manufactures specs and threw it in the spare tire well No more TPMS for me.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search