GM Recalls Chevrolet Cruzes for Safety Modifications - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM Recalls Chevrolet Cruzes for Safety Modifications
Friday, June 22, 2012 10:37 AM
GM Recalls Chevrolet Cruzes for Safety Modifications
2012-06-22

DETROIT - General Motors will recall 413,418 Chevrolet Cruzes in the United States for the 2011 and 2012 model years to modify the engine shield under the vehicle. This change will help prevent any liquids from being trapped in the engine compartment, where a fire could start and spread.

In a separate safety recall, GM will inspect certain cars included in the first recall to assure all welds in the rear compartment were properly applied. Omitted or partially completed welds in up to 249 cars may affect the fuel tank strap secondary brackets attachment to the floor structure and a sub assembly to the rear floor pan.

There are no known crashes, injuries or fatalities related to either recall. Only Cruzes built in Lordstown, Ohio, and sold in the United States and Canada and several hundred exported to Israel are affected.

“The most important thing for our customers to know is that we are proactively working to assure the Cruze is the safe and durable car they purchased,” said GM vice president of Global Quality Alicia Boler-Davis. “We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by these actions.”

All Cruzes with manual and automatic transmissions built in the United States from September 2010 through May 2012 are included in the engine shield modification.

Improper engine oil change procedures on these vehicles can result in the spilling or dripping of oil. If oil contacts hot engine or exhaust system surfaces, and the engine shield, the shield may ignite and burn, resulting in a possible engine compartment fire.

In Cruzes with manual transmissions, continuing to drive with a completely worn clutch may cause hydraulic fluid to be expelled from the clutch housing vent hole. Under certain circumstances, the fluid could be burning as it exits the vent hole. If it contacts the engine shield, the shield may ignite and a fire may spread to the engine compartment.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened a preliminary investigation in April of this year as a result of two engine compartment fires in 2011 model year Cruzes and later added the 2012 model year.

Modifying the engine shield will take about 30 minutes in a Chevrolet dealership service department and will be conducted free of charge. No parts are involved and customers are encouraged to make an appointment with their dealer at their earliest convenience. Owner letters will mailed be beginning July 11. Inspection for the possible missing welds takes only a few minutes. In confirmed cases, the repair would take about three hours.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: GM Recalls Chevrolet Cruzes for Safety Modifications
Friday, June 22, 2012 4:34 PM
I heard about this at work today. All of the techs are rolling their eyes and p**sed with how many Cruzes that will be coming in. And since the recall notice, we've already had tons of appointments for it,.
Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:06 PM
GM eats the cost, not the tech. he still get's paid for the work he does. Roll your eyes all you want, they're relatively easy fixes you get paid to do. It makes me wonder how many "techs" half ass recall repairs because of their "get pissed and roll their eyes" attitudes about work they get paid to do anyway.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:07 PM
Blows my mind that any FLAT RATE worker, in this economy especially, would roll their eyes and get pissed that a ton of extra work get's thrown in. Yeah, I'd rather sit on my thumb between jobs at a flat rate shop....

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, June 23, 2012 4:29 PM
problem is most places will pay 2/10 for a job that takes 5-6/10th
Saturday, June 23, 2012 5:15 PM
That's the shops problem, not the tech's. A car off the street that needs a new head gasket will pay the same type of flat rate as a recall head gasket job. Either job takes a ton of time, whether the shop pays as good as they should, it's the same. The tech isn't getting screwed in any way for recall work. Again, GM messed up, not the dealership. GM eats the cost, not the dealership or tech. It's job security. They're going to stay busy, keep rolling flat rate jobs in without as much down time, make more money. Why would there be any complaining, rolling of the eyes, or getting pissed about THAT??

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, June 23, 2012 6:07 PM
GM decides the labor time, the shop doesn't, hence why little fixes like this get quoted as Phil stated. It's already been rumored to take a half hour, so it's a couple tenth job obviously. That's hardly worth putting on the hoist.

Work is work, but a day full of this nonsense won't feed the kids.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:02 AM
guess ill be getting my recall letter soon enough

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:12 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:GM decides the labor time, the shop doesn't, hence why little fixes like this get quoted as Phil stated. It's already been rumored to take a half hour, so it's a couple tenth job obviously. That's hardly worth putting on the hoist.

Work is work, but a day full of this nonsense won't feed the kids.

thanks Joe... I am glad I got some backup, the shops don't decide pay rates. I work at a Nissan/dodge/jeep/chrysler/lotus dealer and I hear about bs like this everyday
Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:30 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:
A car off the street that needs a new head gasket will pay the same type of flat rate as a recall head gasket job.
Either job takes a ton of time, whether the shop pays as good as they should, it's the same.
The tech isn't getting screwed in any way for recall work.

No.
No.
It depends on the recall.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:10 AM
yep, hertz was getting all pissy that we pull them out of fleet immediately the day the recall got sent out.

we actually brought two to the local chevy dealer before they even knew about the recall LOL

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 10:45 AM
See guys, I didn't know that. I don't see how that's fair at all to pay an employee less for his time than you normally do because YOU have a recall issue.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:30 PM
Between friday and yesterday I did a total of 5 of these recalls. It is stupid easy. Maybe 10 min tops and pays 1/2hr. Waiting on ordered tape needed for the manual ones so only doing automatics thus far.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:30 PM
zsquee24 wrote:Between friday and yesterday I did a total of 5 of these recalls. It is stupid easy. Maybe 10 min tops and pays 1/2hr. Waiting on ordered tape needed for the manual ones so only doing automatics thus far.

it's good to have a tech's inside info.
Monday, June 25, 2012 5:58 AM
Some young new tech will just be the warranty ditch. thats part of the reason i left my job as a honda tech. How many accord v6 transmission do you have to get any respect

see ya!

Monday, June 25, 2012 6:00 AM
Oh and warranty work is rated useing air tools where regular shop time is rated useing hand tools.

see ya!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:47 PM
So I was watching the techs do these recalls today. I can see why they issued it. The shield is plastic and is not even an inch away from the exhaust pipe leading into the engine. If anything were to pool in there slightly, it would be enough to touch that exhaust pipe. What a stupid design. The recall is simple though. Take down shield, cut out large section in middle of shield, bolt up remaining parts of shield, lol. It pays a half an hour, and they were finishing these up in 10-minutes, lol.
Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:48 AM
Pays 30, takes 10. Back to my question on techs crying about it. Lol

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, July 01, 2012 8:26 AM
now to the question why have something plastic and flammable right near the Exhaust?

I need a new sig.
Monday, July 02, 2012 4:35 PM
That isn't a Cruize thing, or even a new Chevy thing... things like that have been going on for a while, Brad. The issue isn't plastic melting, it's things pooling on it catching fire.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, July 02, 2012 5:23 PM
I just changed the oil on the Cruze today. I can see why they want to trim the piece in question. Though about doing it my self but I don't want to get screwed out of anything because it wasn't done properly....lol

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 6:11 PM
i changed the oil on my cruze recently. i just put a rag where the filter is so that the oil would drip on the rag

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:04 PM
i got that letter i called them and said when you get the oil changed they will do the modification.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search