Questionable Damage Estimate - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Questionable Damage Estimate
Sunday, August 19, 2012 3:32 PM
so, my gf crashed her VW Beetle like 2 weeks ago, and the insurance company just finished tallying the damage and wrote it off. I'm just a little unsure on where they pulled this number from as it seems absurdly high.

Damage consists of:
destroyed front driver wheel, hub, brake assembly, and suspension, front driver fender, door hinge and door panel and anything else that would be indirectly afffected by that

They tallied the damage at 10,000 dollars

Correct me if im wrong but thats insanely high for what was damaged...

thoughts?

Re: Questionable Damage Estimate
Sunday, August 19, 2012 3:45 PM
I'd say it's not that far off and would really depend on if the frame under that was tweaked. (Sounds like they assume it is.) I paid 500 just to have a rear quarter repainted basically body shops are quite expensive. If I was you I'd just take the money and get a different car.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:00 PM
Suspension damage cost to fix.

Keep in mind they aren't pulling from a junkyard to fix. Usually OEM parts. Parts labor sounds like it is close.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:33 PM
They totalled her VW beetle and you're complaining? A lot of times the amount they give you for a totalled vehicle is more than you paid for it, or close anyway. If you want to buy the car back and do your junk yard parts, parts store discounts, or friend-with-a-body shop repairs, think of it as the insurance company doing you a favor. Buying back a totalled car is usually dirt cheap, fix it cheap, drive or profit. If the cars old enough, in some states, it doesn't even salvage the title. If they give you anywhere near 10K for a totalled new(not brand new, but the ugly @!#$s) beetle, you win. Why worry?

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, August 20, 2012 6:40 AM
it can have alll kinds of damage you arent looking for, alot of times cosmetic can be minimal but structural can be bad, it could have gotten a strut tower and inner rail, that an vw are a pain to work on, both fenders and front bumper have to come off as one piece. without pics its hard to say but its very easy to get over 3500 on just minor stuff. Paints really expensive and when you factor labor and dealer prices for stuff it can sky rocket quick.
Monday, August 20, 2012 3:44 PM
what year is it and how much would they give you for it?

I need a new sig.
Monday, August 20, 2012 4:17 PM
sometimes they will let you keep the car and still give you the claim amount.
then you can fix it yourself. make sure if they agree to this that you get them to give you a standard title, not a totalled title. otherwise you will be fixing a "rebuilt" vehicle which are worth less than a repaired vehicle.

dennis
Monday, August 20, 2012 4:28 PM
Post a picture and I can tell you what is wrong with it.
Probobly alot more than you are noticing. A whole front side suspension on a volkswagon can cost about 1000.00 just in parts.
If they wrote for a hinge then they most likely also wrote for frame time to pull that hinge wich means you have damage on the post. There is another 1000.00 in frame time right there. You're up to about 3000.00 right now in just suspension and frame time. Then the fender, door removing the bumper, blending the quarter, over hauling the bumper for paint blend or if there is damage on that as well for repair, splash shileds...etc etc.... It all adds up.
Get some pics or actually look at the estimate and you will see it adds up fast.

I write estimates everyday. It is getting to be that just replacing a bumper on a car can be over 1000.00 on some cars. A headlight is 1000.00 on some cars. Imagine having a busted side mirror and having to shell out 800.00 for it LOL.
Parts are getting expensive and cars are getting more advanced.

Monday, August 20, 2012 4:37 PM
David Alameda (Zspeedcav) wrote:Post a picture and I can tell you what is wrong with it.
Probobly alot more than you are noticing. A whole front side suspension on a volkswagon can cost about 1000.00 just in parts.
If they wrote for a hinge then they most likely also wrote for frame time to pull that hinge wich means you have damage on the post. There is another 1000.00 in frame time right there. You're up to about 3000.00 right now in just suspension and frame time. Then the fender, door removing the bumper, blending the quarter, over hauling the bumper for paint blend or if there is damage on that as well for repair, splash shileds...etc etc.... It all adds up.
Get some pics or actually look at the estimate and you will see it adds up fast.

I write estimates everyday. It is getting to be that just replacing a bumper on a car can be over 1000.00 on some cars. A headlight is 1000.00 on some cars. Imagine having a busted side mirror and having to shell out 800.00 for it LOL.
Parts are getting expensive and cars are getting more advanced.

oh i get that for sure, my biggest question was the fact that it was a 98, so its by no means advanced lol. We find out how much she's gunna get for it on thursday, and i dont have a picture on me but ill see if i can get one later!

Monday, August 20, 2012 7:44 PM
Idk a 14 yr old car with that much damage.I think letting go would be wise and update to a newer car.Plus the advice given is pretty solid.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:16 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:They totalled her VW beetle and you're complaining?quote]

how was anything he said "complaining?" he was just curious as to why the estimate was so high.

OP, enjoy the money. go find her a newer bug if you guys really like the car. im sure you could find a nice 02ish year for much less than 10k and put the extra cash into a savings account for a rainy day.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search