05 Cobalt key wont come out ??? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
05 Cobalt key wont come out ???
Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:42 AM
2005 Cobalt,Shut off the car & the key wont come out .seems to be activated thru the brake pedal. I know about the override switch under the steering column. I know that 1000's of GM cars have this issue.any help on fixing this would be appreciated. I have 2 Cobalts and they both do it periodically. Thanks, JC

Re: 05 Cobalt key wont come out ???
Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:15 AM
CHEVROLET / COBALT
Service Bulletin Number: SB-12089
NHTSA Item Number: 10044226

Summary:
CHEVROLET/PONTIAC: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. A BINDING CONDITION HAS OCCUR BETWEEN THE HOUSING AND IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER WHICH MAKES THE IGNITION KEY DIFFICULT TO TURN OR REMOVE FROM IGNITION.

There is a service bulletin on this. You should be able to bring it to the dealer and get it fixed at no charge (though they will charge you the cost of making a new key ~30$).

My father had the same problem. I turned the wheel back in forth as best I could (considering it was locked) and turned and wiggled the key. Eventually it came loose.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:38 AM
They have junk lock cylinders. There's a new style that may or may not work better, depending how good the guy who coded it is. you don't usually need a new key
Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:33 AM
my equinox did this and they replaced the lock cylinder and the key i was under warrenty so they never charged me for the key

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, October 08, 2012 3:29 PM
My ZR2 did this also twice under warranty.
Finally the replaced it with a diff style lock cyl and a new key.

Good luck with it.

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search