Best 4 cylinder? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best 4 cylinder?
Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:43 AM
just wondering what ppl think.

What in your opinion is the best 4 cylinder engine (from any make, not only GM) ever made for boost?

I hear alot that the Evo 10 2.0L Mivec turbo (most hp/liter stock in history!!) is the best.

Discuss!

Re: Best 4 cylinder?
Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:00 AM
I don't think it's the best, but I do love that my LNF on pump gas and stock turbo has made 388wtq with bolt-on's and a tune. Not too many engine's make reliable power with such minimal work.

Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:31 PM
Turbo Subies and Evos have been making huge amounts of power for a long time. 3SGTE is also a good engine for boost. I've seen lots of power put through them. I have respect for VW's newer turbo 4s too.

But who are we all kidding? The real hero of the turbo 4 world is the 2.0 SOHC turbo from the Pontiac Sunbird.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:46 PM
My money is on teh 4BT Cummins...

Have a nice day.
Thursday, November 01, 2012 3:32 PM
jay van's.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Thursday, November 01, 2012 4:52 PM
in before iron duke

Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:28 PM
Tony T Crams wrote:But who are we all kidding? The real hero of the turbo 4 world is the 2.0 SOHC turbo from the Pontiac Sunbird.

hell yes!!!

the Genesis 2.0T is turning into a decent hart currently as well, Hyundai is doing some good stuff recently.

I need a new sig.
Friday, November 02, 2012 5:23 AM
Brad (ceyenne red beast) wrote:

the Genesis 2.0T is turning into a decent hart currently as well, Hyundai is doing some good stuff recently.

Yeah that new World engine is pretty nice. Hyundai, Mitsubishi, and Chrysler all use versions of it.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:39 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:I don't think it's the best, but I do love that my LNF on pump gas and stock turbo has made 388wtq with bolt-on's and a tune. Not too many engine's make reliable power with such minimal work.
x2 I <3 my LNF. It definitely has it's limitations, but now that the tuning suite is more complete, people are finding you can pretty much double factory output, as long as the tune is good it will take it for a long time.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:01 PM
7MGTE! Or a 2JZGTE.

Cant ignore the bang for the buck of modding a 4G63 even if it blows apart in a couple of miles.

Then theres also VW TDIs and IDIs. Ive seen some of them roll coal with a little bit of work.

I <3 4 cyls.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:02 PM
Ignore the fact that the first two I listed were 6 cyls.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:32 PM
4g63 pre 04
lsj

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:17 AM
B16?

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, November 12, 2012 10:31 PM
I'm a Nissan fan, my favorite would have to be the SR20DET.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:21 AM
To be fair, it depends on what you're looking at... Turbo motors would be judged on how much power they can make on stock parts without blowing up/hitting a performance ceiling. N/A motors would have to be judged purely on what they make and how long they last stock.

N/A, you really have to give it to the Honda K-series. No other 4 cylinders are putting out their kind of NA numbers complete with low-emissions status AND super reliability.

Turbo? That one's tougher as from what I can see most of the current crop have about the same capability. The limiting factor tends to be the smaller factory turbos that OEM's choose for their retardedly fast spoolup. For instance, the old 1.8T was a tank, and could easily make 350-400 horsepower on stock internals, but was lucky to see over 230 on the stock K03 Sport.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search