2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel
Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:34 AM
Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel Delivers Efficient Performance
Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013

CHICAGO - The all-new 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel features an advanced 2.0L clean diesel engine that will offer an estimated 42 mpg highway with an automatic transmission and expected best-in-segment range based on GM testing. Clean diesels generate at least 90 percent less Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) and particulate emissions when compared to previous-generation diesels. It is the cleanest diesel passenger car engine ever produced by General Motors.

Cruze's 2.0L turbo-diesel is based on proven architecture already used in European models, where approximately 40 percent of all Cruze models sold feature a diesel engine. Collaborating with Italian and German engineering groups, GM's diesel experts in the United States adapted the engine to accommodate more stringent diesel emission standards and a wider range of driving conditions - including colder climates and higher altitudes - for the United States and Canada.

"This Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel represents a new era in diesel performance for American cars," said Jens Wartha, GM chief engineer. "We've adapted a proven engine from Europe, the world's diesel capital, and married it with the emissions-reducing technology that was perfected in the United States. It's a great example of how Chevrolet's global resources work harmoniously to produce the right product at the right time and for the right market."

Cruze's new 2.0L turbo-diesel delivers a segment-leading estimated 148 horsepower (110 kW) and estimated 258 lb-ft of torque (350 Nm). Peak torque is achieved at a low 2,000 rpm for a sustained feeling of power on demand at almost all speeds - particularly when passing or entering a freeway onramp.

The engine has an overboost feature capable of increasing torque to an estimated 280 lb-ft (380 Nm), for stronger acceleration periods of about 10 seconds.

"With the benefit of continuous refinement in other markets, the 2.0L turbo-diesel comes to the United States and Canada with performance that will impress," said Mike Siegrist, assistant chief engineer. "It is powerful, efficient and clean. It will change perceptions of what a diesel car can be while giving customers another fuel efficient choice in the Cruze lineup."

Cruze models in the United States and Canada offer a 1.4L turbo, a 1.4L Eco model and 1.8L naturally aspirated engine.

The 2.0L turbo-diesel engine provides greater fuel economy than a comparably sized gasoline engine through greater thermal efficiency, a higher compression ratio and an unthrottled combustion process. It features an iron cylinder block and a forged steel crankshaft, each designed to stand up to the greater cylinder pressures that come with a turbo-diesel engine.

A lightweight aluminum cylinder head and aluminum intake manifold contribute to the engine's comparatively low weight of 408 pounds (185 kg), helping the Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel deliver a balanced ride with outstanding handling characteristics. Additional highlights include:
• Dual overhead camshafts with four valves per cylinder and maintenance-free hydraulic lifters with low-friction roller-finger followers
• Quiet belt-driven cams/valvetrain with high-strength belt material and tensioner rated for 100,000 miles
• High-strength aluminum pistons with reinforced top ring and integral combustion bowl design
• Central direct injection, with the injector positioned in the middle of the cylinder, with the bowl in the piston serving as the combustion chamber. This enables a high 16.5:1 compression ratio that enhances power and combustion efficiency
• Variable-swirl intake manifold design, which optimizes air charge mixture motion in the cylinders for a more-efficient combustion that enhances performance and reduces emissions
• Common-rail fuel system with Piezo fuel injectors that create multiple injections per combustion for greater performance, combustion efficiency and quietness
• Variable-nozzle turbocharger that broadens the engine's torque curve, particularly at low rpm, and supports greater high-rpm horsepower. It is mounted close to the exhaust outlet of the engine for quicker "spool up" of the turbine and faster "light off" of the exhaust catalyst
• Intercooling system produces a cooler, denser air charge for greater power
• Piston oil jets that help reduce friction and optimize piston temperature for greater performance and efficiency
• Turbocharger bearings are oil-lubricated and cooled via an oil cooler
• Variable-displacement oil pump helps save fuel by optimizing the oil pressure, which reduces friction
• Vacuum pump designed for lower engine friction
• Ceramic glow plugs, which provide greater cold-start performance over conventional metal glow plugs (an engine oil heater is offered for cold climates)
• B20 bio-diesel compatibility.

Quiet, smooth performance is enabled by a number of features on and around the engine. There are also sound-absorbing features added to the Cruze, specific to the diesel model, including a unique dash mat, hood blanket and more.

A precise exhaust gas recirculation control system features a high-capacity cooler and bypass feature that enable the engine to meet United States and Canada's tough diesel emissions regulations. There is also an exhaust after-treatment system is similar to what is used on Chevrolet's heavy-duty trucks and vans equipped with the Duramax diesel, including a diesel particulate filter and urea injection, that helps make the 2.0L the cleanest diesel passenger car engine ever from GM.

An approximately 4.5-gallon (17 liters) tank in the Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel holds enough diesel emissions fluid to provide at least 10,000 miles (16,000 km) of driving between refills. The system is also designed for servicing to coincide with oil changes, for greater convenience.

DIESEL FAST FACT: General Motors produces approximately half a million small diesel engines around the globe every year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:35 AM
Attachments
2014-GM-I4LUZ-001-medium.jpg (162k)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel
Thursday, February 07, 2013 9:37 AM
interesting

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, February 07, 2013 1:55 PM
Thats awesome! 2.0L Diesel swaps! here they come!

Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:15 PM
I'm confused

"An approximately 4.5-gallon (17 liters) tank in the Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel holds enough diesel emissions fluid to provide at least 10,000 miles (16,000 km) of driving between refills. The system is also designed for servicing to coincide with oil changes, for greater convenience. "

"The all-new 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel features an advanced 2.0L clean diesel engine that will offer an estimated 42 mpg highway with an automatic transmission "

FU Tuning

Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:28 PM
The diesel emmision fluid dilutes the emissions, it does not run the engine.
Its like a secondary additive, ford has been doing it for a while in there trucks.
Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:55 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:I'm confused

"An approximately 4.5-gallon (17 liters) tank in the Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel holds enough diesel emissions fluid to provide at least 10,000 miles (16,000 km) of driving between refills. The system is also designed for servicing to coincide with oil changes, for greater convenience. "

"The all-new 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel features an advanced 2.0L clean diesel engine that will offer an estimated 42 mpg highway with an automatic transmission "

Its the DEF tank. All the new diesels have it. Its pretty much Urea.... or cow/horse piss as we know it at CAT. Its not TERRIBLY priced but my dad has gone through a few gallons in his Dmax. You will start seeing a lot of blue DEF here signs at gas stations.

Anyone else notice the exhaust in that pic???? that can would be GONE ASAP! Also, exhaust out the front instead of the back....

Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:59 PM
Something we should have been doing in America for a long time.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:48 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:Something we should have been doing in America for a long time.

.??

FU Tuning

Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:22 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:

.??

Offering a turbo diesel option in more models. Theyre more efficient, tend to last longer, and are great for low end torque when merging onto the highway, etc.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:27 PM
I may actually consider owning a Cruze now. Itll be interesting to see how GM does with a diesel. Its never really been there thing but it definitely should have been.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:52 PM

Friday, February 08, 2013 5:41 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:

.??

Offering a turbo diesel option in more models. Theyre more efficient, tend to last longer, and are great for low end torque when merging onto the highway, etc.

I agree. Not sure if I would ever own a diesel, but for sure feel they should have been offering them.

FU Tuning

Friday, February 08, 2013 7:28 AM
Brian (TheSundownFire) wrote:I may actually consider owning a Cruze now. Itll be interesting to see how GM does with a diesel. Its never really been there thing but it definitely should have been.

Huh? Never been their thing? News to me

I believe the big reason we don't see more diesels in small cars here, are due to problems they run into with emission standards.

I for one, love this, and have been wanting a diesel car to commute with for a while, aside from buying a VW.

Friday, February 08, 2013 7:36 AM
I like the 258tq rating!!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, February 08, 2013 8:53 AM
This is fantastic, I've been thinking of ditching my truck for something more fuel efficient for a while....would be super cool if they offered a manual model.

Friday, February 08, 2013 10:24 AM
It's definitely a step in the right direction, but I don't know if 42 mpg will be enough to sway a bunch of people to buy one considering diesel cost close to $1 more a gallon than gas....
Friday, February 08, 2013 4:13 PM
Rosario wrote:
Brian (TheSundownFire) wrote:I may actually consider owning a Cruze now. Itll be interesting to see how GM does with a diesel. Its never really been there thing but it definitely should have been.

Huh? Never been their thing? News to me

I believe the big reason we don't see more diesels in small cars here, are due to problems they run into with emission standards.

I for one, love this, and have been wanting a diesel car to commute with for a while, aside from buying a VW.

I meant little diesels. Im aware of the Duramax.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 12:19 AM
The Jetta TDI is rated at 42mpg according to the EPA and I hear people are getting 45mpg and up with either the DSG or manual. Hope this Cruze can make the same numbers or beat them.
Saturday, February 09, 2013 5:27 PM
Sweet, been wondering when we would get the diesel.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 5:36 PM
so why is this engine not in a s10 sized truck with a man trans and 4wd?

Saturday, February 09, 2013 8:13 PM
My Z is Slow (Mike) wrote:so why is this engine not in a s10 sized truck with a man trans and 4wd?

I have a feeling it's cause there is not enough of a 'market' for it yet in the states.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803

Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:09 AM
macktruck84 wrote:
My Z is Slow (Mike) wrote:so why is this engine not in a s10 sized truck with a man trans and 4wd?

I have a feeling it's cause there is not enough of a 'market' for it yet in the states.

I am willing to bet anyone who had to deploy and drove a twenty or so year old toyota hilux would understand. things could not be killed. i considered doing a 4bt swap in my zr2 for the same reason.

Monday, February 11, 2013 10:00 AM
The small cars with diesel engines are so hot overseas for gas mileage and reliability, it really is a shame it took this long for a domestic manufacturer to offer it here when they all offer something like this in Europe. Glad to see it finally happen. I personally don't have a need. Just took a road trip in my Cooper S and got over 30MPG average the whole time, that's enough for me coming from an E30 and Nissan pickup each lucky to break into the 20's.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:06 PM
the def systems are going to be a pain in the ass when they malfunction though. I work on tractors, all the new tier 4 tractors use SCR (selective catalytic reduction) systems, AKA Diesel Exhaust Fluid/Urea injection.. same thing. so many troubles. i hope they took into account that def freezes, and there is no additive for it to not freeze in the tank aside from a heating system (case tractors circulate coolant through a worm in the tank/around the pump pickup). If the scr system has a major fault you get 3 30 minute starts, derated and then after that 30 second starts then the system will shut down.. not good if they do something similar and leave someone stranded somewhere. they made it easy for us with a separate can-bus system for the emissions control so its a bit easier to diagnose problems but its still a hassle. not to mention the price to be paid when the system goes kaput. the controller for the def system is integrated with the high pressure pump and filter system, $3000 to replace the basic one, if you break the FILTER HOUSING you must replace the whole controller even though its an entirely separate piece (at least that was a few months ago, haven't broke one so Im not sure if they offer it separate now) also all the lines that go from the controller to the dosing module if you break the ends you had to replace the assembly at $500. I know car vs tractor doesn't usually compare price wise but they'd have to be pretty close using the same type of system with a controller and dosing module etc...

Have a nice day.
Monday, February 11, 2013 6:09 PM
Yeah my dads new Dmax has it and if it weren't for the warranty on the truck, we would be pulling it off ASAP. As soon as the warranty is up its coming off. Yeah only 5 years 100,000K miles....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search