sold the jeep, bought a.... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
sold the jeep, bought a....
Monday, January 14, 2013 4:46 PM
wrx... again.

2002 wrx in silver

current plans are to build it to d-stock specs for SCCA autox. (aftermarket struts, catback exhaust, panel filter, swaybar upgrade on one end, tires)

Currently the car is on KYB AGX and tein springs. I'll be swapping the tein's for stock springs. Already have a Whiteline sway bar lined up for the front along with a set of 2.5rs 6 spokes with Kumho r-comps for this season. Still need to decide what i'm doing for catback exhaust... considering straight pipe.

I'll be running this car for at least this season while i tear into the Cavalier.

Re: sold the jeep, bought a....
Monday, January 14, 2013 6:55 PM
Super jealous. I wish I could afford one right now.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:50 AM
Nice, always been a fan of the bug eye wrx

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:16 AM
I believe a muffler is part of the catback rule.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:36 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:I believe a muffler is part of the catback rule.

actually I think his bigger concern will be the dB level attained. I don't think a muffler is required, so long as he stays under a certain sound level. So long as the exhaust exits behind the driver, it's legal I believe.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:32 PM
Per the rulebook exhaust can be removed/replaced so long as it exits behind the driver and out from under the car. no other restrictions listed.

Db shouldn't be a concern at the local level.

Friday, January 18, 2013 11:35 AM
Good stuff.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:19 PM
so a small update...

bought these:

added this:

and these:

and needed a bit more volume so did this as well:

plans are to have a catback made up... just a temp solution to make it obnoxious.

autox season has started and should have some vids from an event in less than a month.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:40 PM
Nice. I miss my bugeye. Really want a peanut eye.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 2:55 PM
Super jealous. Love it!

Monday, April 22, 2013 4:25 PM
get on ctsubie quite a few good vendors and a fs section easier to read than nasioc

Saturday, May 11, 2013 7:50 AM
from the last NEPA autox event

beat the next guy in my class by 3.5 seconds with my fastest clean run. would have had him by almost another second if I hadn't coned away my fastest run of the day.

picking up a set of rs3's in the next few weeks to replace the tired rcomps that are on my race wheels now and also grabbing a whiteline 24mm adjustable front sway.

Next event is a week away and Pocono infield is in less than a month.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:41 AM
Nice strat! It looks at home on the track.

So I found out I am having my first kid and I have always loved the older wagons with a little bit of low on a stock body even. Any suggestions on how many miles are too many and common issues to look out for? I'll probably be looking for a Impreza wagon, impreza sedan, or a legacy.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:00 AM
Nice!

I'd love to get my hands on one. There's only 2 roads out of my town, both take 7+ hours and both are dirt/gravel (one of the sections is halfway through paving now though, after 25 years without). I'd love to build a rally car to make a quick escape out of town whenever I got sick of the isolation of Labrador.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Corsica and a bunch of trucks too...
Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:52 PM
GTmatters wrote:Nice strat! It looks at home on the track.

So I found out I am having my first kid and I have always loved the older wagons with a little bit of low on a stock body even. Any suggestions on how many miles are too many and common issues to look out for? I'll probably be looking for a Impreza wagon, impreza sedan, or a legacy.

if you're looking at an n/a car, you will want to make sure head gaskets have been done if it's anywhere north of 100k miles. the 4 cam motors were notorious for them but the 2 cam 2.5's weren't much better. if it's a 2.2, good luck killing it. also check the rear wheel arches for rust. those are the two big areas I know of that have been common across the platforms. Wouldn't hurt to know if the timing belt has been done as well as they need them every 100k miles. i usually tried to replace the water pump as well when i replaced the timing belt (whether needed or not) and checked the cam and crank seals for leakage.

If you're looking at a turbo car (legacy gt/wrx) the 2.5's in the legacy used a filter in banjo bolt on the oil feed line to the turbo that often clogged and starved the turbo of oil. it can be easily rectified by popping the bolt out and taking the filter out. in my experience the 2.0 in the wrx are pretty problem free. all depends on what kind of life they've had. If you're looking at a manual trans car, 02-03's have the "glass trans" but I've never had an issue in either of the 02's I've owned and I have not been easy on either car. 04-05 had stronger gearing but still not bulletproof. 06-07 seemed to be pretty stout and I haven't heard much about people having problems with the later years.

as for mileage, it all depends on how they've been treated. bushings will wear but stock and aftermarket replacements are readily available. 200k+ miles is not uncommon.

my wrx has 203k on the body and roughly 140k on the motor (po had a built motor in the car... pulled it and sold the motor and swapped in another 2.0) and it's still a pretty solid drive.

hope that helps

Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:56 PM
Helps tremendously man thanks a lot. My grandma, who drives vans for the school, said one of the kids that she picks up's parents is selling a 2006 outback for only 3 grand. I don't REALLY have the money right now but I may need to make room for it if the maintenance has been kept up with it and I also need to find out the mileage. Haha.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:41 AM
whiteline sway bar came in yesterday. should be installing it probably this weekend.

also ordering a catback as the wife is complaining about the "legality" issues of the hacked off muffler.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:51 PM
Got the exhaust and sway installed last night. Just in time for the autox this weekend.

Sunday, June 02, 2013 5:15 PM
new race rubber installed and ready for the June 15th Pocono event

Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:03 PM
A few pics from pocono today...

The rs3 are the best tire I've driven on so far! Took 3rd in class today. Not too bad for the first time out on the new tires with limited changes made to the car. Pretty sure I coned away 2nd place but haven't seen all the times yet.

Have some footage from a friends go pro that I will post up as soon as I get my hands on it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search