Scion TC shifting problems...? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Scion TC shifting problems...?
Sunday, November 26, 2006 8:53 AM
My friend is asking me to ask you guys for some advice. He has a 2007 manual Tc...

His 5 speed is sometimes tough to shift. Unless the car (and the shifter) has been warmed up (about 20 minutes), his shifting is rough and he cannot smoothly shift into gear (and reverse)...

He bought the car brand new and right now he only has 3,000 miles on it and his oil levels are normal.

Have you guys heard of shifting problems on manual TC's before?

He went to the dealership and they said that they didn't know what it is and couldn't help him. Is this normal because the car is still new?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Scion TC shifting problems...?
Sunday, November 26, 2006 9:30 AM
I would take it to an other dealer and see if they can fix it.
But I would check in the owner's manual if it is safe to use ATF and switch to that (Preferably Synthetic B&M). MTF is generally thicker and therefore harder to shift. Lastly what he can do is shoot some silicon onto the shift linkage by the gearbox.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, November 26, 2006 9:43 AM
Quote:

But I would check in the owner's manual if it is safe to use ATF and switch to that (Preferably Synthetic B&M).

The dealer said that they switch the oil (to the thinner one) once the car arrives from Japan.

Sunday, November 26, 2006 9:49 AM
Seriously i think it is rediculous if they do that. I think the dealer said that to keep him quiet and just move on.
If that is the case, switch to the ATF (B&M). By them saying that, it is almost clearence for him to try a better fluid product and possibly a ATF.

But i would still check if it is safe to use ATF, just to avoid future damage.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, November 26, 2006 10:40 AM
Reverse is hard to get into sometimes if you have the clutch in all the way to the floor, all you have to do is let it out just a tad and it goes in. Also, third is sometimes a bitch to get into but other than that, I've had no problems. Nothing serious, just little easy things.

Monday, November 27, 2006 10:47 AM
Synthetic tranny fluid can make a big difference. It made my T56 shift alot easier.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Monday, November 27, 2006 11:41 AM
B&M short shifter and Mobil 1 75W90 Synthetic = great for me so far. Though, I never had any issues before I switched.

Here's how to change the fluid.

Could it just be the driver getting use to the car?

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 9:49 PM
FieryOne wrote:Reverse is hard to get into sometimes if you have the clutch in all the way to the floor, all you have to do is let it out just a tad and it goes in. Also, third is sometimes a bitch to get into but other than that, I've had no problems. Nothing serious, just little easy things.

That is normal when shifting to reverse for any manual transmission. Sliders in the transmission have to line up with slots, to shift. When you let the clutch out the input shaft turns and the slots can line up. Sometimes they are already lined up. As far as the forward gears, the newness of the synchros and thickness of the lube affects the shifting. Sometimes you have to use the same method as reverse to get the shifter in first gear when stopped.
Thursday, November 30, 2006 3:25 AM
normally with issues that seem to get better/worse with heat/cold, its almost always a fluid related issue. But the dealer is BS-ing, have him take it to another one and demand that they take it and fix the problem. If they give him lip, ask for the number of the regional service rep. Thats normally enough to get them in a more cooperative mood. I used to work as a tech at a Dodge dealer, I'd know....

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, December 02, 2006 7:16 AM
That's odd... I bought mine brand new and never had a problem.

Although, it did take me a while to get used to driving the car... going from the 95 Sunfire GT to a 2006 Scion tC... the drive-by-wire system took a good getting used to because of how different it was. Never had any problems shifting though. *scratches head*

Did he try posting on Scionlife?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, December 02, 2006 7:16 AM

Saturday, December 02, 2006 8:24 AM
Thanks again for the replies everyone. I'm going to let him know to try a few of your suggestions.

FallenAngel: No, he isn't online very much.

Monday, April 03, 2023 11:58 AM
I have a 2004 Scion tC manual transmission it doesn't want to go into reverse so I'm wondering is the reverse on the same linkage as all my other gears?
Monday, April 03, 2023 4:34 PM
You're replying to a thread from 17 years ago.

You should really find a Scion TC forum for this.

Monday, April 10, 2023 3:26 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:You're replying to a thread from 17 years ago.

You should really find a Scion TC forum for this.

x2

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search