a new red4 on the way... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
a new red4 on the way...
Sunday, April 03, 2005 7:11 AM
yep, you heard it right, there will be a new red4

i've been having lots of problems with the cav in the past couple months, headlights, headgasket, transmission, oil leak, etc. i've been able to do a lot of the work myself, but my bank account is complaining.

my car has come a long way since i first bought it, but I felt that I needed to move on to a new canvas. i needed a good, reliable car that will get me through school, yet I can still have fun with and enjoy modding. i've looked at volkswagens, mazdas, nissans, and hondas. i knew the car had to be red, and i wanted something that was automatic this time around.

i stumbled across my new project in the local "wheels for you" magazine, and went down to test drive it early last week. I loved it! it has power windows, locks, mirrors, sunroof, cruise control, rear defrost, factory CD player, pull tab gas door (YES!), and one-piece headlights. some of you already know what it is, but here are some pictures for those who do not:

and here is a photoshop of what i want some of my first mods to be. shaved badges, half and half tails, and lowering.

let me know what you guys think! i'll be sure to have a proper photoshoot once i pick the car up on Monday. :wink:

Re: a new red4 on the way...
Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:36 AM
Nice choice man. I wish I would have picked up an EX coupe instead of my 91 Talon. The SOHC Vtec motor is not the fastest thing on the market, but dont let people fool you that thing can do a lot more then people give it credit for. It will take a real beating and not complain like the 2.2OHV motor or even the 2.4l in the cavy will. They respond well to mods. Good luck and enjoy.

You should check out http://www.D-series.org lots of help there.

Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:58 AM
not to shabby
Sunday, April 03, 2005 10:43 AM
well you asked for opinions so heres mine. Its definitely better than a 2.2 OHV motor cavy. But i wouldnt have bought that car for anything other than good gas milage on a daily driver. Those engines are what 118 HP and a low 18 high 17 second 1/4 mile? Even if you put a turbo on that thing your still looking at only getting into the 16's. BUt if your not into speed than enjoy the car

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Sunday, April 03, 2005 11:29 AM
-JaysonZ24- wrote:well you asked for opinions so heres mine. Its definitely better than a 2.2 OHV motor cavy. But i wouldnt have bought that car for anything other than good gas milage on a daily driver. Those engines are what 118 HP and a low 18 high 17 second 1/4 mile? Even if you put a turbo on that thing your still looking at only getting into the 16's. BUt if your not into speed than enjoy the car

Yea, sorry but thats sort of incorrect. That motor responds really well to mods. You are correct its a high 17 second car. However, just I/E puts it in the low 17 to high 16's. If you change the intake on it from a 92-95 EX you get really good gains from it. Also with just basic bolt on's and a turbo you can run low 15's np. Thats just on low boost. I suppose you are going to tell him honda's dont take boost well either?

If he's not happy with that there are endless motors you could swap into that car. H22, b16, b18.

Personally, I would do a B18 LS-Vtec swap in it. Just ask ricebowl if that makes a @!#$ty swap or not.

Sunday, April 03, 2005 11:46 AM
not my cup of tea
but glad to see you got what you ilked

Sunday, April 03, 2005 1:15 PM
they got lots of potential to be nice. look at how clean ricebowls is.

"Custom cars, custom problems."-me

Sunday, April 03, 2005 3:21 PM
-JaysonZ24- wrote:well you asked for opinions so heres mine. Its definitely better than a 2.2 OHV motor cavy. But i wouldnt have bought that car for anything other than good gas milage on a daily driver. Those engines are what 118 HP and a low 18 high 17 second 1/4 mile? Even if you put a turbo on that thing your still looking at only getting into the 16's. BUt if your not into speed than enjoy the car

i think the EX model is rated at about 127 hp from the factory, and i hear it makes about 100 hp at the wheels. a stock EX with a Jackson Racing Supercharger laid down 140 at the wheels and ran a 15.1 in the 1/4. so yeah, not the fastest thing on the planet, but neither was my 2.4. with full exhaust, intake, motor mounts, and new clutch, best i ran in my Z was a 16.2

i don't drag much anyways though, nearest track is about 2 hours away, so i just want something to be able to enjoy driving around town, and has all the creature comforts as well.

i'm going to mod it with a clean and simple style, drop it on some decent wheels, tweak the suspension a bit, and maybe eventually strap on the S/C. that will be enough for me, i think.

thanks for all the comments, guys, i wasn't really expecting this warm of a welcome.

Sunday, April 03, 2005 4:45 PM
aww man...

and here i was thinking you were going to get a red XRS

grammar tip of the day: don't use "at" at the end of a sentence.
it makes you sound like an idiot. example: "where are those at?"
the "at" is unnecessary. thank you all for reading this, and have a nice day.
Sunday, April 03, 2005 7:01 PM
not a bad car...i like it

u trade-in the old car or u goin to sell it or part it out ? If u goin to part it out i may be interested in buying somethings....such as side skirts, agxs, prokit......maybe some other stuff

let me know man

thanks

Sunday, April 03, 2005 7:48 PM
redcav1 wrote:not a bad car...i like it

u trade-in the old car or u goin to sell it or part it out ? If u goin to part it out i may be interested in buying somethings....such as side skirts, agxs, prokit......maybe some other stuff

let me know man

thanks

well, i would have sold ya the front/sides, but i am going to trade it in tomorrow. sorry man.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search