test drove a cobalt SS today...here is my take - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
test drove a cobalt SS today...here is my take
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:40 AM
I test drove a cobalt SS today. Not impressed at all. I currently drive a 03 5speed Cav.

The ss had comfortable seats. It had 18" rims... it handled better then the cav... but, i expected ALOT more from it performance wise. It must weigh a ton...because it didnt feel fast at all.

from idle to 3000, my cav is usually pretty gutless. The SS had huge power at that point. Which was nice, but but after 3000rpm i just didnt seem to have any more excitment then my cav does.

I am sure it is alot faster then my cav, considering it has 205hp.... but it just didnt feel much faster. Kinda odd. I could only imagine 205 HP in my cav...now that would be something exicting!!!

So i didnt like it!

Re: test drove a cobalt SS today...here is my take
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:44 AM
interesting....

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:49 AM
Crazy Dude wrote: I could only imagine 205 HP in my cav...now that would be something exicting!!!

So i didnt like it!

and all i would need for that is a built bottom end and the supercharger / intake manifold off of a cobalt. hmmmmm

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:45 AM
Quote:

I am sure it is alot faster then my cav, considering it has 205hp.... but it just didnt feel much faster. Kinda odd. I could only imagine 205 HP in my cav...now that would be something exicting!!!

Hey, thanks for posting a review. A bunch of people who have driven the Cobalt SS have mentioned the same thing you are describing.

Basically the issue is with the break-in rev/power limiter. From the factory, all Cobalt SS S/C's and Ion Redline's are programmed to prevent an abusive break in period. From idle to about 3500 RPM power is normal, but at about 4K is where the governor starts to restrict throttle/boost to the engine. The PCM is designed so that as the miles are accumulated, the governor gradually allows for more power output and boost, and the rev-limiter redline is also raised. After a certain mileage (not sure what), the PCM goes into post-break-in mode, and the car responds as it normally should.

If you do get a chance to test drive one again, try to drive one that has some miles on it, I'm sure you will notice a nice difference

My CarDomain Page
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:02 PM
feeling and being fast are two different things, drive a bmw 330i, car is so incredibly smooth and accelerates smooth you would not believe its a low 14 second car. look at the speedo when accelerating then you'll see that it is a mid 14 second car.

Visit High Rev Motorsports for all your High Performance needs.

Visit RSM Racing for j-body superchargers, throttle bodies, and much more.

Visit Cobalt SS.Net and sign up to get the latest info on the cobalt and all other delta platform cars
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:30 PM
Eddie wrote:feeling and being fast are two different things, drive a bmw 330i, car is so incredibly smooth and accelerates smooth you would not believe its a low 14 second car. look at the speedo when accelerating then you'll see that it is a mid 14 second car.

im not saying the cobalt is crazy fast....but this line is exactly right.....feeling and being fast are two different things

feels fast when your in a go cart doing 30 mph doesnt it??? does it feel fast when you do 30 in your cavalier??? no.....

if your doing 30 in a better car than a cavalier what do you think? same concept

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 1:51 PM
totally agree... thats why i like my cav better

Heck, i paid $11,000CAN for my 03 cav... an SS sells for $28,000CAN. Thats almost 3x what i paid for my car. And my car still feels more fun

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:46 PM
^
^
The SS is NOT 28k Canadian, I just bought mine for less than 23k....
MSRP means nothing. And no offence, I own a Cavalier, but the '03 LOOKS like it's worth 11k brand new.
Comparing the SS to all others in that price range it's the best deal out there, the comparisons to an RSX and SRT are common for anyone thats has driven/owns both.
Try to find an RSX or SRT for less than 23K new.
I'm not trying to be a fanboy, because I can't compare anything, but don't go in there looking for a car that is the be all and end all to cars, and the SS is a sweet deal.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 4:00 PM
Crazy Dude wrote:I test drove a cobalt SS today. Not impressed at all. I currently drive a 03 5speed Cav.

The ss had comfortable seats. It had 18" rims... it handled better then the cav... but, i expected ALOT more from it performance wise. It must weigh a ton...because it didnt feel fast at all.

from idle to 3000, my cav is usually pretty gutless. The SS had huge power at that point. Which was nice, but but after 3000rpm i just didnt seem to have any more excitment then my cav does.

So i didnt like it!

Hey man you're not the only one.

Quote:

feeling and being fast are two different things, drive a bmw 330i, car is so incredibly smooth and accelerates smooth you would not believe its a low 14 second car. look at the speedo when accelerating then you'll see that it is a mid 14 second car.

Have you driven the 330ci, 330xi,330i to say that? That car has no such smooth acceleration. I think there is a confusion here with "smooth acceleration" with "smooth sounding accelerating."
You give the 330i, 330ci, WOT and your neck will snap back and you'll feel it on your back and more so on the AWD 330xi. During the process, the car will be funeral quiet because the balanced design of a 6-inline. BMW 330 series has one of the best power band ever. Peak torque is achieved at around 3500rpm while peak HP is at 5000+rpms
The SS does the opposite, no snaping neck and you'll feel just a gentle push back on the seat as the little 2.0L struggles to move the weight. But yes, the SS is very quiet while doing the process in moving forward, but the feel and actual speed leaves a lot to be desired.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 4:19 PM
u shouldnt be taking a low mile car and beating on it anyways. espec a forced induction one.

-Borsty
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 4:39 PM
personally i thought the 330 was relativly smooth, i thought the neck snap was relativly ok, not omg like driving a freakin ls1 camaro or vette with gobs of tq. i havn't yet drivin the ss supercharged so i can't really compare the two. but i think if you give the car a chance and pay attention to the speedo you'll realize its a quick 14 second car.

Visit High Rev Motorsports for all your High Performance needs.

Visit RSM Racing for j-body superchargers, throttle bodies, and much more.

Visit Cobalt SS.Net and sign up to get the latest info on the cobalt and all other delta platform cars

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:12 PM
Quote:

The SS does the opposite, no snaping neck and you'll feel just a gentle push back on the seat as the little 2.0L struggles to move the weight. But yes, the SS is very quiet while doing the process in moving forward, but the feel and actual speed leaves a lot to be desired.

You aren't even making any sense. The "little" 2.0, as you refer to it, is making well over 200HP at the wheels. You praise the RSX-S like its extremely quick, even though its making hardly any torque and even less HP than the Cobalt, with almost the same weight.

And how does the 2.0 "struggle to move the weight"? The Cobalt SS S/C weighs about the same as the SRT-4, Scoin tC, and RSX-S - yet you don't make those out to be heavy Obviously your extremely biased against the Cobalt, and you like to spread Bull@!#$ - which is what you've been doing all along.

And how do "feel and speed leave a lot to be desired"?? The numbers don't lie, the SS S/C will run consistant 14.5's at 98MPH in the 1/4 mile - how does that leave anything to be desired compared to the competition? And I'm not going to even ask about the "feel", thats just retarded, nobody besides you has even mentioned lack of "feel"

My CarDomain Page
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:21 PM
wesmanw02 wrote:
Quote:

You aren't even making any sense. The "little" 2.0, as you refer to it, is making well over 200HP at the wheels. You praise the RSX-S like its extremely quick, even though its making hardly any torque and even less HP than the Cobalt, with almost the same weight.

And how does the 2.0 "struggle to move the weight"? The Cobalt SS S/C weighs about the same as the SRT-4, Scoin tC, and RSX-S - yet you don't make those out to be heavy Obviously your extremely biased against the Cobalt, and you like to spread Bull@!#$ - which is what you've been doing all along.

And how do "feel and speed leave a lot to be desired"?? The numbers don't lie, the SS S/C will run consistant 14.5's at 98MPH in the 1/4 mile - how does that leave anything to be desired compared to the competition? And I'm not going to even ask about the "feel", thats just retarded, nobody besides you has even mentioned lack of "feel"

dude lay off the magazines!!!! your making yourself look like a tool "the ss sc will run consistant 14.5's at 98 mph in the 1/4 mile" HAS ANYONE EVEN TAKEN ONE TO THE TRACK????
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:21 PM
^^^
multiple mags have

but anyway
i drove a reline
i thought it was quite ballsy

felt more potent than the srt-4 i drove
but that was an 03 model so maybe they are much better now

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:56 AM
ive also seen mags run 14.9-15.2, but he's gonna say the fastest times found are giong to be the consistant ones.
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:43 AM
wesmanw02 wrote:
Quote:

Hmmmm.....I thought the Cobalt SS was rated at 205hp/200tq?! The 05' RSX-S is rated at 210hp/143tq.....N/A.

Estimated Cobalt SS weight......2991lbs and estimated weight for the RSX-S......2840lbs.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:45 AM
^^Yep that looks to be the more realistic number^

To my knowledge there have been only (one) that printed on mid 14s, that would Motortrend.
Even that is soo questionable, it is not even funny.
MotorTrend May 2005

0-80: 10.2
0-90: 12.6
0-100: 15.4
1/4 mile:14.4@99.3 <<<

It took a full second to reach 0.7mph? By those numbers, a 14.8-15.1 pass seems to be more realist. For the record the SRT was more consistent and it made sence with the time printed.
For the toilet sitting magazine racers outthere to ponder on.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:49 AM
Cobalts are ugly and slow IMO. and a SRT 4 is still neon.
id rather slap a turbo or charger on my Z24

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:52 AM
Oops that post was for Kyle Kurtz.

Tribals, you are right on that one though.
I would like to point out that on the Chevy site they list
Coupe: 2991lbs
Sedan:3200lbs
SS:2991lbs
There 2 weights for three different cars. This leads me to believe the SS is between the 2991lbs and 3200lbs.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:03 AM
i will say for all you poeple who defend the rsx-s lack of tq
i destroyed two of them off of the line this weekend
of course they caught up and handed me my ass but still

like i said i liked the redline a bit better

as for the cobalts 1/4 time
motorweek did their test in the winter and ran a 14.7@97miles per hour

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:29 AM
wesmanw02 wrote:

Hey, thanks for posting a review. A bunch of people who have driven the Cobalt SS have mentioned the same thing you are describing.

Basically the issue is with the break-in rev/power limiter. From the factory, all Cobalt SS S/C's and Ion Redline's are programmed to prevent an abusive break in period. From idle to about 3500 RPM power is normal, but at about 4K is where the governor starts to restrict throttle/boost to the engine. The PCM is designed so that as the miles are accumulated, the governor gradually allows for more power output and boost, and the rev-limiter redline is also raised. After a certain mileage (not sure what), the PCM goes into post-break-in mode, and the car responds as it normally should.

If you do get a chance to test drive one again, try to drive one that has some miles on it, I'm sure you will notice a nice difference

Goodwrench whats your take on this?

2006 Cobalt SS 2.4L 9.6 @74mph 1/8th mile w/2.28 60ft

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:49 AM
uhlgreenz

If that was true, you know how dangerous that can be for the driver. When you ask for power the engine will not give it you, i.e. like for turning in a intersection or merging into highway.
No car has this feature because the matter of safety.
The closest thing to this is found on the 2005 Mustang GT. Where the computer will not let you drag race the car a lot of times. Computer read to many hard launches, and after so many, it retards the timing.

Naturally a green engine will not perform its best, but after 1000-2000 you will see perfornmace hike as the engine settled in. The computer has no say, again for safety reasons.
In the the case of a AMG Mercedes SL65 or CL55, S65. Mercedes will put notices for the driver to not rev pass 4000K for the first 500 miles. Again here the computer will NOT restrict you. Closer to home, 2005 Corvette does the same as Benz.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 10:09 AM
that is interesting about the break in miles/ computer stuff.

i seen one at our local dealership, it got sold the same day.

ahh well.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 3:24 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:uhlgreenz

If that was true, you know how dangerous that can be for the driver. When you ask for power the engine will not give it you, i.e. like for turning in a intersection or merging into highway.
No car has this feature because the matter of safety.
The closest thing to this is found on the 2005 Mustang GT. Where the computer will not let you drag race the car a lot of times. Computer read to many hard launches, and after so many, it retards the timing.

Naturally a green engine will not perform its best, but after 1000-2000 you will see perfornmace hike as the engine settled in. The computer has no say, again for safety reasons.
In the the case of a AMG Mercedes SL65 or CL55, S65. Mercedes will put notices for the driver to not rev pass 4000K for the first 500 miles. Again here the computer will NOT restrict you. Closer to home, 2005 Corvette does the same as Benz.

I think he was referring to just restrickting boost levels in higher rpm's in the break in period not restriciting rpm's. Thats not gonna kill someone merging, i mean it still does have engine right? I wish there was a way we could find this out.

2006 Cobalt SS 2.4L 9.6 @74mph 1/8th mile w/2.28 60ft

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 4:11 PM
^^I know I know what you mean.
But it is a rumor that is all.
Correct me if I am wrong, I think what you are leading up to. That the engine will not be at full potential at very low miles. Hence why people are feeling it fast. For the record any engine while green will not be running 100% as it in not broken in.

I just would love to know who started that new rumor? He/She should be slapped senseless!

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search