Need some advice on what to do for ecu - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need some advice on what to do for ecu
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 10:35 AM
Ok i am mainly on moon's site because i have a second gen. but they don't seem to be able to help me. My car is a 93 z24 5speed. i am swapping in a turbo grand prix 3.1 motor in, i have installed the crane 272 cam,gen III top end swap ported and polished. i am going to be making custom headers soon and a addapter for a ls1 t/b. i am running a garrett t40b 60 trim turbo on it. My question is i don't know what to do for the computer, peopel said i could swap in the grand prix computer some said i couldn't. it was an auto mines a 5speed. any ideas? should i keep the cav ecu and everything?

anyone do custom chips?

any help would be great since i am stuck here big time

cavaliers been laid to rest
The saturn is being born
a new cavalier is in the mist

Re: Need some advice on what to do for ecu
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 12:22 PM
Megasquirt it!

99 Turbo Sunfire GT | Ram 2500 | International Rollback | Mr Hanky the Suburban
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 2:18 PM
i was thinking of going that route, since i was gonna go ms on the saturn i was told i could just up plug it from the saturn and load up the maps and be good to go on the cavalier. hmmm i just wish there was a cheaper way that i could still use the tgp ecu and harness or something

The saturn is being born
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 3:49 PM
ms is cheap and its completely configureable. i cant imagine you would have a fun time making the stock ecu work for the engine your building. i have heard that there are some stock ecus for the older v6's that you can work with but i am not knowledgeable with that. im sure some others on here are. Good luck on the project all the same!

99 Turbo Sunfire GT | Ram 2500 | International Rollback | Mr Hanky the Suburban
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 3:57 PM
What he said /\ /\

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:08 PM
check FastFowardPerformance.com for a chip. They sell 3.1 chip and they may be able to burn you one.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:11 PM
yah i am not too sure people here would know much either, not saying these ideas are bad, i was going to use the turbo ecu,but i kinda need it tweaked since mines kinda built a tiny bit , the thing is w/ms you have to solder stuff and make a pig tale and what not and i've never done that, also i would know where to start with maps,custom ecu/standalone is a whole other language to me

The saturn is being born
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:25 PM
Your stock ecm is the same electrically as the tgp ecm. The 1227727 from the tgp is a weathertight version of the 1227730 used in the Cavalier. You may need to swap some wires around in your wiring harness and you'll probably need to add a wire or two (at least one for wastegate control if you want the ecm to do that job). But the chip will plug in and work well.

I'd recommend getting tuning software for the tgp, some datalogging software, and replacing the chip with an eeprom for quick burns. The stock ecm is really capable of a lot of stuff.

-->Slow
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 10:25 PM
yah even if i don't wire in the waste gate solinoid i was told the computer will still cut fuel when boost reaches like 9psi. i wanna run more then 9 of course. the tgp prom is from an automatic so will that affect it? i don't know anything about datalogging,or what and how to replace the chip with eeprom. so if anyone could give me someinfo on what it is i'd appreciate it

The saturn is being born
Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:42 AM
I'm not sure exactly what the limit is, but the ecm will cut fuel if boost goes over the programmed limit. That limit can be changed in the chip or you can use a bleed valve to fool the MAP sensor. I think reprogramming the chip is the best route, as the ecm will have the best control of spark and fuel if it knows what the boost really is.

The TGP chip can be reprogrammed for a manual transmission or you can buy another from GM. Replacing the chip with an eeprom means unsoldering the old one from the blue chip holder and soldering in a new one. It's not very difficult, just requires a steady hand. I think that Craig Moates might sell adapters so you don't have to do that.
Chip adapter with chips He's got other stuff there, too. Sockets, chips, datalogger software... almost anything you might need.

I like to use Datamaster software for datalogging, but it's kind of expensive for some people and it may not support the TGP.

-->Slow
Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:40 AM
........... slow down...............

GEN III top end and trying to use GEN II manfolds..... wont work,

2 its OBD-I, with a burnable E-Prom, just flash your prom for the fule curves and timing curves that you need.

dont use a bleed to the map, if your swaping proms any way you can make it read boost, and get a 2 bar map.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, October 27, 2005 9:40 AM
the tgp has a 2bar stock and i am going to use that so i won't have a problem there, i just have to add the wategate solinoid like mentioned, gen II manifolds can work but they have to be reshaped to the d port style since gen II are round. i am using the gen II rear manifold only.

i was looking into stuff today that i didn't know, theres eeproms,proms and eproms their all different and i didn't know.

thanks guys for the help

The saturn is being born
Thursday, October 27, 2005 12:22 PM
also the ECM for that TGP is a totly diffrent wiering harness than a Jbody.... all im saying is use your harness you have, get some headders made for your turbo, ( or use the TGP manafolds...) , tgp map, biger injectors, and a custam eprom, alot simpler than rewiering your dash, and what not.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, October 27, 2005 2:54 PM
its possible to solder the plug ins for the tgp ecu to the cav harness but it'd be some work. i want just a custom eprom i've been saying that,but just don't know who can do it for me since i have no idea on how to do it.

The saturn is being born
Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:29 PM
Quote:

also the ECM for that TGP is a totly diffrent wiering harness than a Jbody....

I'm sure you know this already. The ecm and wiring harness connections are different on the outside. They're exactly the same in the way they function. A chip from a TGP will work correctly in the Z24 ecm. There may need to be a few wires moved around or added to the Cavalier harness, but it's nothing like installing a new one or changing the connectors.

Quote:

i was looking into stuff today that i didn't know, theres eeproms,proms and eproms their all different and i didn't know.

I know. There's a ton of stuff and most of it's in geekspeak. The short lesson is that the flash chip or eeprom (they're 2 different things) can be reused without special erasing equipment, so if your stock chip is replaced with one of these it's easier when tuning.

-->Slow
Thursday, October 27, 2005 9:20 PM
i know they work the same, like i said people say this and say that, people were running just the eprom in the cav ecu and harness, so i am guessing they got rid of the wastegate solinoid, would that cause the computer to freak out?

i also am getting rid of the egr, who on here is really smart with the comptuer aspects?

thanks again guys

The saturn is being born
Friday, October 28, 2005 4:17 AM
I've been doing ecm tuning for almost 10 years now. What do you need to know about EGR?

-->Slow
Friday, October 28, 2005 2:20 PM
people were talking about if i get rid of the egr the car will stall sometimes on deceleration.

The saturn is being born
Saturday, October 29, 2005 12:24 PM
Strange that people claim to have this problem. EGR isn't even operating during decel or idle. But the ecm does add some ignition timing when egr is active, because the exhaust gas allowed into the combustion chamber slows the fuel burning. If EGR is disabled in the chip there are usually no side effects to performance (emissions is a different story).

-->Slow
Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:22 PM
michigan has no testing so i care less about emissions. do you have aim so we can talk about chip burning?

saturn 5speed turbo 8psi
93' z24 grand prix turbo 3.1 swap, crane 272 cam, 3100 hybrid op end swap, t04b turbo
Sunday, October 30, 2005 4:17 AM
Sorry, only email.

-->Slow

Sunday, October 30, 2005 4:34 AM
If you can get chips made or can make 'em yourself, you'll be in luck. I tried out a couple of chips, including a modded Top Gun chip, in the wagon with some success. There were some stalling issues with one chip, but the 2nd attempt cleared that up nicely.

Yes, you can use the TGP computer with the Cav harness with a lot of repinning. That was an annoying process for me since I'm pretty new to that kinda thing. Thankfully I had a ton of help! I haven't done any wiring work since high school physics....and I'm not exactly 19 or anything.

Stick with the GM parts if you can. Saves a good bit of time and hassle. Should you find yourself running for the cover provided by aftermarket engine control, Colin uses a Holley Commander unit with some great results, and a few of us also use Haltech units, also with good results. One note on Haltech is that they offer one computer that uses stock Cav ECU connectors with just some repinning. Nice option to have...

Have you seen the turbo wagon?

13.90 @ 105.46mph
street tires
rough tune
Sunday, October 30, 2005 3:27 PM
i don't know anything tho about burning chips or anything, didn't you work with curtis alot on all that stuff? any way you could possibly help/guide me in the right direction. i wanna try and keep the tgp chip and mod it since i don't have alot of money just starting college. the cam and lifters just costed a ton

saturn 5speed turbo 8psi
93' z24 grand prix turbo 3.1 swap, crane 272 cam, 3100 hybrid top end swap, t04b turbo
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search