important ECU - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
important ECU
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:30 AM
alright guys...i have a 99 Z24 i am boosting. now i have a guy who knows everything and nething about cars i call him the import (becasue hes from japan). he is helping me out with my car with ordering and putting me in the right direction on what i need. he says that since im running low boost which will be around 5-6 from a T3 turbo that i really shouldnt need and ECU upgrade or FMU becuase its low and the stock ECU should be able to read it. Our 2.4 engines are pretty strong and built well. He said first get the EGT gauge and the Turbo and manifold and see how it runs with it and if your getting bad readings then do it. but i just wanted to know if any of you are running a turbo without ECU and FMU upgrades basically just the turbo and manifold with your Front mount.thanks

Re: important ECU
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:37 AM
Start reading and stop trusting import tuners. We don't have ECU "upgrades"... and our stock ECU's cannot see or control boost at all.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:59 AM
Yeah, you need to start reading. Sounds like you're going to be spending a lot of money on the advice of someone who doesn't know much more than you.

---

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:03 AM
its something everyone hates, but yes, u have to do upgrades if u want to have a trouble free "boosted" application. if i was u, i would invest in a wideband setup, an fmu, larger injectors and a fuel pressure regulator. but u dont have to take my word for it. later man
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:05 AM
oh i forgot to add this, it would'nt be a bad idea to get a larger fuel pump... here is a link to where u can get one that will supply all the fuel u will ever need and its very cheap. later

http://www.highrevmotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_30&products_id=1112&osCsid=5a1447941a4ed102d74ce34f6579a996
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:46 AM
i was going to do greddy E-manage, Fmu and fuel injectors yes. but thats what the garage told me and i thought no matter what i need some kind of piggy back unit or a reflash. thats y i came to the forum before listenin to the garage because i know there are many in here wit boosted applications. i knew what i was doing all along but just figured id ask because i was going down the route of fuel and e-manage. but thanx for the advise but dont be so harsh on the "read up" i was most likely goin wit all the upgrades i was just goin allittle further with looking before i do. people have a problem with being rude. thats why i never listen to people at some garages because they suck. thanks for the usfull info? and the quote of ECU "upgrades" theres more then u think we could do.
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:56 AM
5SPD Z wrote:thanx for the advise but dont be so harsh on the "read up" ... people have a problem with being rude... and the quote of ECU "upgrades" theres more then u think we could do.

A) We weren't being rude. If you knew your engine before trying to buy gear like the emanage you'd already know the answer to your question about possible ecu upgrades.

B) Reading up is as polite as it gets. Nobody bashed you or called you a moron... and we don't have to ease up on telling you to read and research and learn. Knowledge is power, apathy is the death of engines. Which one do you want?

C) "there's more then u think we could do.".... more? Like what? There is no chipping our ECU's, there is no reflash save for the untested JBP and the RSM ones, (Which really don't work that well, and don't give you ANY control over the ECU), there is the GM reflash for the 2K+ ECU's, and there is no add-on computer that gives me control of the OBDII ECU itself.

So - please. Enlighten us about what there is out there that we don't know about?

It sounds to me like you don't quite understand what it is you're trying to mod - which is fine... that's what questions are for. But then again, that's why people have already asked these questions and they have been answered many times before.... which is why SEARCHING and reading gives you some of the best and quickest answers.

And a bit of advise - you might want to "read up" a bit on the E-manage on a J-body... only a few people have them installed and running, and even fewer people are getting them to run trouble-free. If you knew about the e-manage you would know you don't need an FMU to add fuel with boost.

Good luck.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 2:17 PM
so.... youre saying that there is no upgrade for our ECU? I find that hard to believe....

taken from jbodyperformance.com

JBP OBDII PCM Reflash

Perhaps one of the most awaited products for the 3rd generation jbody line. We now will flash your PCM for aftermarket camshafts and other performance mods. We also have the ability to tune your N/A, Nitrous or Forced Induction engine. A great solution to add power to your existing vehicle or to fix timing/ignition issues as a result of a cam swap. The modifications are now endless. We also allow to additional reflashes to be performed at no additional cost. Call us for percise details about this new and exciting branch of JBP!

Arriving...... 3-6-05 ..........
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 2:33 PM
I can't find that on the site, mind posting a link?

---

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 2:34 PM
btw on a side note, he's still correct. There still isn't an upgrade for our ECU. March isn't here, yet

---

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 2:35 PM
SunfighterGT wrote:

C) "there's more then u think we could do.".... more? Like what? There is no chipping our ECU's, there is no reflash save for the untested JBP and the RSM ones, (Which really don't work that well, and don't give you ANY control over the ECU), there is the GM reflash for the 2K+ ECU's, and there is no add-on computer that gives me control of the OBDII ECU itself.

He already stated that and said it was untested and/or unreliable.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:00 PM
Alright... here it goes...

There are a couple of ECU "upgrades" out there. However, there are none that you can just go "pick up".

Option #1: RSM has a S/C program that people seem to have mixed results with. They have not tested it on a vehicle that does not have the RSM supercharger.

Option #2: JBP, which "claims" they have a reflash available, but as stated above they will tell you its unstable or untested.

Option #3: GM's S/C program, which Chris stated above, is only for the 2000 and up 2.4L's.

No, there is "not more possible than we think". There are two groups of people working on cracking the ECU, one of which is supposedly already read and reflashed an ECU (HP Tuners), the other (Me and OBDProject.com) are just starting to pick through some of the ECU dumps and may be a year or more before anything realistic gets made.

And no, the Tech2 cannot change fuel maps or timing maps, or any of those great things. There are some limited functionality that the Tech2 has, like turning off the DRL's, Airbag system, or other stuff like that, but when it comes to editing the CAL data, it cannot. The Tech2 is a glorified scanner.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:19 AM
another option not mentioned here is to swap back to ODB1 and chip that way but it is illegal..

i think this is a huge reason i think our platform never really took off like the others. we have no good/low cost engine management options save the 2k+ gm reflash..

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:46 PM
if the e-manage isn't 100% and the reflash i really cant do since i live in CT and im not really into driving somehwere in Canada to get. how are all the boosted Cavy's running? if there isnt much out there waht else are they doing? E-manage, Jbody's reflash? Tec3($2,300 outa the pic) what else can i do. if i have the E-manage professionally tunned buy XXtuning which is greatly known for tunning WRX Supra and other cars would that also be ok to do im just thinking of options i have and i dont wanna get into trouble with the E-manage. the one kid i read up on that had emanage did it himself and got bad readings but ill have a dyno and other ocmputer software that can help me in getting this perfect..tell me what you think.
Friday, February 25, 2005 6:56 PM
Shifted (KickAzz) wrote:Alright... here it goes...

There are a couple of ECU "upgrades" out there. However, there are none that you can just go "pick up".

Option #2: JBP, which "claims" they have a reflash available, but as stated above they will tell you its unstable or untested.

the reflash makes your ECU compatable with a 2 bar MAP Sensor. It's not been tested because no one has bought it yet. but when i get it here pretty soon ill let you know if it works or not.

/

Arriving...... 3-6-05 ..........
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:52 AM
i was looking at the Apexi Super AFC piggy back fuel unit. now could i run that instead of the the Emanage and is that a good unit to use on my turbo? if the emanage isnt any where near 100% good then ill look around more so how would s-afc run?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search