97 2.2 HPT Tuning questions - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 2.2 HPT Tuning questions
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:44 PM
I have access to a standard HPT he has for his TransAm.

We are working on a side project for fun. Its a 97 s10 2.2. Its going to be turbocharged and we would like to make sure HPT will handle what we need before we consider Megasquirt.

Its a small basic setup and is not meant to be fast but different.

97 s10 5spd Manual 2.2.
.48 intake .42 Exhaust turbo
Converted to top feed injection
36LB Delphi injectors
255 walbro pump
1st Gen DSM intercooler
most likely 2-2 1/4" charge piping
5psi
We will tune it with an AEM wideband

This truck very rarely sees wot, its just a work/beater truck. The only time it will probably see full boost is pulling hills. Will HPT have the capabilities to tune this properly? will it idle the larger injectors? I know it will pull timing. But since most of it will be cruising off boost will it still be efficient and get decent mileage?

96 Camaro A4 383 12.5:1, E85, Full suspension, Nitrous outlet plate kit, hooker headers and catback, 3800 circle D converter.

2002 Silverado LQ4 6.0 CAI, Long tube headers, 4" exhaust

1996 s10- 97 ECU and wiring, soon to be boosted daily driver.

Re: 97 2.2 HPT Tuning questions
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:33 PM
Yes and no..... Take a look at my how to....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:47 PM
Ha, it will hardly ever see WOT. Thats a lie.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:59 PM
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:Yes and no..... Take a look at my how to....

I read it. The VE offset has me a ltitle confused. Also how do I determine if its ALPHA N or a speed density tune to start with. As far as the injector constant goes, does it list the stock constant when you first read the pcm? so it will be 17 divided by 36 multiplied by the stock constant?

On all the tables your saying zero out then return to stock, are you meaning having a saved copy of the stock file and opening it up copying the information from it that was zero'd out of the modified file and entering it back in?

Thanks for writing that Im sure it will help!

Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Ha, it will hardly ever see WOT. Thats a lie.

lol this is my beater truck, ive had it for 3 years and it hasnt seen it yet. I have a Camaro for a toy. It runs 10.90's on motor and 10.30's on the bottle. 12.5:1 on E85

I've had this stuff laying around, and Im just looking to have a little fun with it, I know boost is addicting but I have no plans on running the crap out of it. Its more just the cool factor, and to see what it will get for fuel mileage.

96 Camaro A4 383 12.5:1, E85, Full suspension, Nitrous outlet plate kit, hooker headers and catback, 3800 circle D converter.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:48 AM
Quote:

Also how do I determine if its ALPHA N or a speed density tune to start with

When you open the VE High TPM table. It will either be TPS x RPM= Alpha-N, or KPA/MAP x RPM=speed density.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:40 AM
Wouldnt the speed density be easier to work with? Is it possible to find a speed density file and reflash the pcm to use this?

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:47 AM
Emry wrote:Wouldnt the speed density be easier to work with? Is it possible to find a speed density file and reflash the pcm to use this?

Some 97's have speed density from the factory (some being the key word). The ones that have speed density in 97 are also missing some other files that the alpha-n ones have.

I have tuned a couple cars with 97 speed density files. Both cars were driveable and performed well. 1 had these little hiccups that we could never get out in normal driving. The other car was perfect.

Yes you can flash a 97 speed density file to your 97 ecu if it is not already speed density.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:01 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:
Emry wrote:Wouldnt the speed density be easier to work with? Is it possible to find a speed density file and reflash the pcm to use this?

Some 97's have speed density from the factory (some being the key word). The ones that have speed density in 97 are also missing some other files that the alpha-n ones have.

I have tuned a couple cars with 97 speed density files. Both cars were driveable and performed well. 1 had these little hiccups that we could never get out in normal driving. The other car was perfect.

Yes you can flash a 97 speed density file to your 97 ecu if it is not already speed density.

were they Forced induction cars? Would you happen to still have the files? The reason im doing this is im tired of the truck not being able to pull hills without losing speed and seeing if it improves fuel mileage. This truck will never see more then 4-5psi, Its has a internal waste gate and will never be adjusted.

Do you prefer the speed density or the Alpha N?

When changing the injector constant to idle the larger injectors and changing the pulse width to 1, does this affect off boost mileage/drivability?

Also im switching to the 36lb injectors so it would be 17 diveded by 36 times the old constant, is it located in the file from the first read?

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:25 PM
The injector constant formula is in my how to.... As for the pulsewidth modifier, if yours is SD, there is a good chance the multiplier is not even there.... The best thing to do is pull the file from the truck... Send it to me so I can take a look and I'll tell you what your working with... email is pnptuning@gmail.com

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:27 PM
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:The injector constant formula is in my how to.... As for the pulsewidth modifier, if yours is SD, there is a good chance the multiplier is not even there.... The best thing to do is pull the file from the truck... Send it to me so I can take a look and I'll tell you what your working with... email is pnptuning@gmail.com

Thanks for the reply. I will definetly get that to you when the time comes! Still fabbing up the hotside. My question on the constant is where do I locate the stock constant?

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:53 PM
Emry wrote: My question on the constant is where do I locate the stock constant?
Its in the tune......

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search