Tuning a Pre 99 Ld9 For Gm supercharger?? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tuning a Pre 99 Ld9 For Gm supercharger??
Monday, March 13, 2006 11:14 AM
well im still learning about the whole topic as far as reading everything on websites and here ive been looking at different ways to tune a/f and such im just kind of lost as to what i need i was thinking about this to read a/f

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-UEGO-Wideband-O2-Meter-Air-Fuel-Ratio-Gauge_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46100QQitemZ4618722403QQrdZ1
but couple of questions

What should the ratio be?
And what else do i need to actually add/reduce fuel i know the o2 sensor this is strickly a gauge to read wut the current ratios are

what do i need to physically tune it though? ebay links are helpful

Re: Tuning a Pre 99 Ld9 For Gm supercharger??
Monday, March 13, 2006 11:39 AM
get a wideband O2 with data logging capability's, an AFPR perhaps with a rising rate and a fuel pressure guage for the rail and start there. set your baseline fuel pressure setting according to what GM says it should be for a proper idle then do some runs to find where things need to be adjusted. a dyno can be great for this. best to bone up on your knowledge of all the parts mentioned before getting into trouble with them. brand names will be mentioned in this post and opinions will flow aswell. take the names mentioned and research them on their home websites also to decide. don't take any one persons word as the word of god. your delving into a tricky realm but there is enough info on JBO to pull you through.

Monday, March 13, 2006 2:54 PM
so the wideband o2.. i just use that to tune it only right and then take it our and put my stock one back in to keep cel off?

Monday, March 13, 2006 4:34 PM
you will be leaving it in.

Monday, March 13, 2006 4:56 PM
To help you out with your search, here's a few good widebands I have come across.

AEM

Zeitronix

Innovative

As far as tuning obviously there's a big discretion, and it is up to you, but I would personally suggest

Megasquirt

Monday, March 13, 2006 5:37 PM
guys when you gonna learn ??

he is never gonna get it

all the info he needed has been given to him , he is just to ignorant to read and learn

Monday, March 13, 2006 6:04 PM
Too true 97cavie, but I havent posted in a really long time and I didnt mind doing a little search on stuff I know about in the boost forum for once

Monday, March 13, 2006 8:32 PM
no info on tuning etc has been given to me thx for links

Monday, March 13, 2006 8:53 PM
There is no magic number for us to tell you what you need to run for an air-fuel ratio. A car could be perfectly tuned in Boulder, Colorado, but when that person drove down to Florida, their car would probably run way too rich. Generally accepted numbers is that you don't want your A/F ratio to be less than 12:1, and you don't want it more than 14.7:1.

The only way to tune it is to use a dynamometer (dyno) or to put a wideband oxygen sensor and data logging system so you can monitor your fuel. You can use an A/F gauge to get a basis for where you are at, but they are no where near accurate to be able to tell you if you are running too lean or too rich.

You can use better fuel systems, such as piggy back units such as the Apex'i S-AFC or the Greddy E-Manage. These will allow you to "dial-in" a fuel setup, and you can easily change them through knobs or even computer interfaces.

There are setups that allow you to run your stock injectors, but add additional injectors to the system. These are called "Extra Injector Controllers" (EIC's). They work by welding injector bungs into your charge pipe and injecting the fuel right into the air. You need to provide fuel to the injectors through either a fuel line or fuel rail. Some people really like this setup, and some don't.

Here's some information I found right out of the FAQ at the top of the page, basically you need either dyno results to let you know where you're car is currently at, or a wideband to hook up to your tuning system (whichever you choose) Most setups from what I have read will do the tuning for you once the wideband transfers the data of the current setup. This I could possibly be wrong though, hope this helps a little bit.

Monday, March 13, 2006 9:41 PM
you gotta read and search

you want us to install it and tune it for you ???

gawd dam your a lazy ass mofo

tuning a s/c isnt that much different than youd tune a turbo

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:32 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]you gotta read and search

you want us to install it and tune it for you ???

gawd dam your a lazy ass mofo

tuning a s/c isnt that much different than youd tune a turbo

lol that would take only a moron to say "tuning a s/c isnt much different then youd turn a turbo"..lol would i be making this thread if i knew about either one dip @!#$

Monday, March 13, 2006 11:06 PM
you dont know jack , stick with what you have

you obviously cant search and read and understand what you read

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 9:34 AM
Brandon, I check on this board everyday, and have been looking through the threads about the pre-00 s/c, just for fun. Then they proceed to make a STICKY on the thread that tells you EVERYTHING. You still dont get it? There are tens of thousands of threads on tuning a turbo, including tuning a turbo USING the FMU/AFPR/WIDEBAND 02....and guess what? THose are the exact things you will be using, and god no, dont tell him to use megasquirt...he would be in trouble. But anyway, back to the topic. The AFPR will allow you to adjust the base fuel pressure AT IDLE...so...if you go with some larger injectors, you will need to turn down the fuel pressure to get a good a/f ratio at idle. NOW we can move into boost...with the FMU. The FMU will be in your return fuel line, and will get a vacuum source from anywhere you want. With the vac source, it will see boost. When it see's boost, it will make the fuel pressure go up in equal increments. If you get an adjustable FMU, you can set the increments anywhere, i.e 1 lb of boost to 5 lbs of fuel pressure...to anything like 1lbs of boost equals 10lbs of fuel pressure. So lets stick witht the first one...if your s/c is running 5lbs of boost, now your fuel pressure will increase guess what....25lbs, now that is ONTOP if the base fuel pressure obviously. So lets say taht at 5lbs of boost, you will be running 30(base fuel pressure about) PLUS the extra 25 lbs of fuel pressure cuz it is seeing boost, so now you will have a grrrand total of 55lbs of fuel pressure. So all you need to do is mess with those numbers, and keep an eye on your wideband gauge. Your wideband o2 sensor wont have anything to do with your computer, so, keep your stock 02 sensor in, get another bung welded in next to the stock 02, and put your wideband 02 in there. Now you will see your exact a/f ratio. That is all taht is needed. Oh yes, better say....you adjust the base fuel pressure with the AFPR with a small hex screw on the top of it, and there are 2 screws on the adjustable FMU, you wont need to use one of them....just the increment screw taht you will mess with. NOW.....taht is basically everything you will need to know....cuz really....there isnt much to deal with in your case...oh yes, u will need a high flow fuel pump...alright, now go do the install and tell us how you made out, and dont ask any more questions, try to figure it out yourself, unless you get in a REAL bind, then u can ask, but im asking you to try to figure somethign out on your own...yay
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search