GMPP S/C Reflash Ecotec - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GMPP S/C Reflash Ecotec
Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:33 PM
I don't know if very many people here know about this but I stumbled across a link to this site here on JBO and emailed them. This company can do the GMPP S/C reflash on the bench for $80. I just sent my PCM out to get reflashed yesterday. I'm not sure how useful this information is but I decided to post a link. I just know that some people have a problem with their local dealerships when trying to get the reflash done, like me. Anyway, here's the link, just thought I'd share.

ExaTorq Tuning and Performance

Re: GMPP S/C Reflash Ecotec
Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:02 PM
Interesting, let me know how it works out.
Will be needing this myself.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:04 AM
Glad you found a place to get it done austiin! See you on nwgme.

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:24 PM
Have you gotten your flashed ecu back? Just curious as to how it worked out for ya since I will be going through them as well.

Dave

Monday, May 28, 2012 1:18 PM
bump
I could use a service like this as well.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:37 AM
Oops, I forgot about this thread. I got my PCM back from them a while ago. It's still in a box in my room though because I'm still collecting parts for my turbo set up. They're an awesome company and great to deal with. I bought an extra PCM and sent it off to them. In a few days, I got a call that said it was ready. I gave them my credit card number and the PCM was back in the mail that day. The one thing that is different is the price however...when they called me to tell me that my reflash was done, they said that AC Delco is now charging $75 for the provisioning that they need to do the reflash. I offered to pay the extra $75 but Brian told me not to worry about it and that they'd cover it and change the information on the website. So when it was all said and done, I only paid $91 for the reflash and shipping. So, even though the price is higher than I originally posted, I'd highly recommend ExaTorq. They're turnaround time was good and their customer service is great.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:13 PM
How did you find this austin? I used these guys back 8 months ago. I got the guy to put together a new adapter so he could even do it! They are awesome BTW!
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:04 PM
I was doing some random reading and ran across a link here on JBO. I don't remember the thread or who posted it at all though. I emailed Brian and he said that he could do it so I sent him a PCM and they flashed it for me. They are awesome, I'm glad that I found them.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:12 PM
Thank you Austind1993 for posting this.

I've come to the conclusion that getting a custom tune is going to take some time. In an effort to be able to drive the car and enjoy it in the meanwhile, I purchased a second PCM flashed (stock) to my VIN# from spareecm on eBay. I then sent the PCM to Brian at exatorq and had the GM Supercharger Reflash flashed to the new PCM. Brian was great! The turn around time was great! The communication was great!

I installed the reflashed PCM (as well as the 2.5bar TMAP) and the reflash is without a doubt on there. HPTuners can't read it (telltale sign the reflash is on there). Idle A/F ratios and boost A/F ratios are where they "should" be and, finally and most importantly, THE CAR IS DRIVABLE AND RUNS GREAT!

Important things to note if you are considering this:

1: You should really get a second PCM and have that reflashed. This will allow for two things: One: You can always go back to using HPTuners if you have a second PCM. Two: I've read that once the reflash is done for a certain VIN#, that VIN# will always have the GM Supercharger Calibration so if you wanted to flash your PCM back to stock, the only calibration the dealer will find for your VIN# is the GM Reflash. With a second PCM you can just swap it in if you want to go back to a stock calibration.

2: When you get the reflashed PCM you will likely have to do a PASSLOCK Relearn

Hope this info is of some help.

Friday, June 29, 2012 6:30 AM
Glad you guys are reaping the benefit of me contacting Brian and getting him to figure out the gm s/c flash process for us He basically had to make a custom harness for us so he could even flash the pcm out of the car (which gm won't even do.) This is so much safer than limping your car to a deal. I really do recommend getting a second PCM too they are so cheap on ebay why not!
Friday, June 29, 2012 6:46 AM
Ok so you're the one who is ultimately responsible lol. Well thank you too.

Friday, June 29, 2012 9:45 AM
I appreciate the kind words!

TheInfamousEco wrote:
1: You should really get a second PCM and have that reflashed. This will allow for two things: One: You can always go back to using HPTuners if you have a second PCM. Two: I've read that once the reflash is done for a certain VIN#, that VIN# will always have the GM Supercharger Calibration so if you wanted to flash your PCM back to stock, the only calibration the dealer will find for your VIN# is the GM Reflash. With a second PCM you can just swap it in if you want to go back to a stock calibration.

This is correct as of a few months ago. Prior to that, ACDelco would issue a "VCI" which was simply a special code that would unlock the GMPP calibration in the GM database. But now, they simply marry your VIN to the GMPP calibration. In fact, there's nothing in the GM system that indicates it's a GMPP cal file...

Quote:

If you use your stock PCM, no security relearn needed. If you do the security relearn, it will take you NO LESS THAN 30 minutes.

BTW, if there are any Dallas-area forum members who have done the S/C reflash and want to get some dyno numbers (including W/B), I'll offer to get you on our dyno for $40, which is half the going rate for a baseline run. It might be interesting to see how the stock reflash matches up against a custom tune! Just drop me an email or give me a call if interested (mention jbody.org). First two members for sure; most likely others if time permits.

--Brian

ExaTorq Tuning and Performance, Garland, TX
Tuning Platforms:
HPT, DiabloSport CMR, TunerCat and TunerPro (OBD-1)
Mustang MD-250 dyno
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:02 AM
So can u unlock it for use with hpt

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:06 AM
that would be a negative
Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:05 AM
^ this,
basically what everyone needs to know is, there will be no retuning of the GM S/C reflashed units, if your in this boat buy a used ECU off ebay or at the junkyard and re-tune it with Hptuners.

Monday, July 23, 2012 7:05 AM
Brian Koontz wrote:I appreciate the kind words!

TheInfamousEco wrote:

This is correct as of a few months ago. Prior to that, ACDelco would issue a "VCI" which was simply a special code that would unlock the GMPP calibration in the GM database. But now, they simply marry your VIN to the GMPP calibration. In fact, there's nothing in the GM system that indicates it's a GMPP cal file...

Quote:

If you use your stock PCM, no security relearn needed. If you do the security relearn, it will take you NO LESS THAN 30 minutes.

BTW, if there are any Dallas-area forum members who have done the S/C reflash and want to get some dyno numbers (including W/B), I'll offer to get you on our dyno for $40, which is half the going rate for a baseline run. It might be interesting to see how the stock reflash matches up against a custom tune! Just drop me an email or give me a call if interested (mention jbody.org). First two members for sure; most likely others if time permits.

--Brian

I have the GM Reflash now. However I'm running the SS injectors/Header/HO cat/Full exhaust/Heat exchanger and intake w/a 3.0" ZZP pulley (13-15psi @ WOT). I want to go with 42lb injectors as I run lean at WOT.

If I buy a new PCM, can you tune it for what I have and the 42lb injectors?

If so, can you PM me the price and info? Thanks.

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:02 AM
Brian Koontz wrote:

--Brian

I did before/after dynos. I only gained 10whp(swapped in 63# injectors, dropped from a 3.1" pulley to a 2.9" too, and added a LS1 TB), but it made the car ALOT more reliable. Initially i didnt gain any power, but the reliability increased drastically. We didnt focus on making power since i auto-x the car and street drive it and i didnt want to blow it up.

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:16 AM
What kind of duty cycle are you running on those injectors at WOT?

ExaTorq Tuning and Performance, Garland, TX
Tuning Platforms:
HPT, DiabloSport CMR, TunerCat and TunerPro (OBD-1)
Mustang MD-250 dyno
Monday, July 23, 2012 3:09 PM
We had to lean it out to 12:1 to maintain a 85% duty cycle with the tired stock fuel pump. But now with a Harrop HTV1320, a 3.3" pulley, and a Walbaro 255 intank fuel pump i am at 75% IDC with 11.5:1 AFRs. Both were measured at WOT and at 6900-7000rpms.

Monday, July 23, 2012 3:22 PM
I wish there was a way to really really diagnose what the issues are the people have with the reflash. Ive been running it for over a year now, and "tuned" it in mechanical ways that to me make it a very good safe reliable tune for a daily driven vehicle. If I was a serious weekend warrior racer with it, the HPT would for sure be the way to go, but for a daily driver with good supporting mods, and a bit of fuel tuning with a good AFPR, the GMPP Reflash is a good tune. Besides the still low redline, and the 108ish cutoff.

Monday, July 23, 2012 4:21 PM
With the amount of knock we get on this tune...Its a crap tune.

Monday, July 23, 2012 5:41 PM
Phil, with mechanical tuning, and meth among other things, knock can be worked with.

Monday, July 23, 2012 6:39 PM
^Oh im aware it can be worked with....but its still a bandaid on the original issue. You should be tuning for meth not just slapping a kit on.

I know as soon as I have the extra cash im getting a tune as I dont feel safe on the GM flash. Im currently getting 7.9* of knock almost all the time. Not even fun going into boost.

Really a real tune may cost you $500 but from everything ive heard from people makes all the difference in the car.
Monday, July 23, 2012 6:48 PM
Philly D wrote:Im currently getting 7.9* of knock almost all the time. Not even fun going into boost.

what do you mean by almost all the time?

Monday, July 23, 2012 7:11 PM
Basically whenever I go above half throttle. 1st and 2nd isnt bad, I may get 2-3* but any gear above that its bad. 90% of the time I dont even bother going into boost
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search