questions about the 96 to 97 or later ecu swap - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
questions about the 96 to 97 or later ecu swap
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:32 PM
hey guys,

its been some time since i have been active on the site. good news is, im resurrecting my cavy (96 cavalier,2.4 ld9). if you dont remember it, check out my profile. i had major problems with the aem universal standalone unit "kept having cam crank sync problems" and therefore i sold the aem, bought hp tuners and plan on doing the ecu and harness swap.

my question is: when installing the 97-99 ecu and harness, does the newer harness plug into all of the existing sensors (engine and body control) that were used with the factory 96 harness. from the research i have done on previous posts about the swap, i havent seen anyone mention having to change any of the sensors. it seems as though you can pretty much install the 97 computer and harness as a plug and play type without any sensor changes?

second, is there a particular year of the 97-99 computer and harness combo that is a favorite for the swap and if so, for what reasons?
thank you for your help guys, all input will be much appreciated. its good to be back on the scene.

Re: questions about the 96 to 97 or later ecu swap
Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:02 AM
99 has an extra injector table, but no egr and different engine configuration.

http://www.weatherallsautomotive.com http://www.planethax.com/j-body
Re: questions about the 96 to 97 or later ecu swap
Friday, August 24, 2012 3:36 PM
how about the sensors? will i be able to pretty much just plug the 97 harness right into all of my existing sensors? from what i have found through research, it seems as though this is the case "the harness is the same layout as the 96 and uses all the same sensors and connections (engine and body)" but i am having a hard time believing i would be this lucky. thanks again for the help.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search