HPT: dyno tuning and self tuning with it - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HPT: dyno tuning and self tuning with it
Saturday, June 03, 2006 8:01 AM
hey everyone, ive called around and nobody has the HPT 4 cyl support at all because they dont deal with it so i guess im forced to buy the software and take it to a shop since they said they can tune it if i have the software. Heres a few questions i have regarding on tuning my 2.4 charged and juiced engine.

1- can i still get a good tune with the standard since it doesnt have real time data sensor readings like the pro version?

2- would you recommend me TRYING to tune or just give it to a shop cause the shop i would hope has more knowledge about differant parameters than i do and i dont wanna blow my built engine.

3- is the built in wideband reading on the pro version way off or is it pretty close enough to where i can get a good tune without getting a wideband with the software?

the shop said that they would charge $175/hr and it would take about 2 hours to tune with the charger alone and then another 2 hours to tune with the nitrous and charger together. im looking at $700 and thats a "about how long" price so could be few hours more. any guestimations onto how much ill be putting down so i can post back some numbers and see who was the closest?, i have 35, 50, 65 and 80 shot nozzles so hopefully i can get some nasty numbers outta it with the 65 and 80 shot. the record i think with the gm charger is 131 so im also going for that record as well.

Re: HPT: dyno tuning and self tuning with it
Saturday, June 03, 2006 1:39 PM
1 - the pro version has black box data logging (no laptop required to log... very useful for taking it to the track, you can log your runs w/o a laptop, and then adjust the car accordingly in the pits), wideband input (you CANNOT hook up a wideband to the std version), etc...

2 - Judging by your questions, get a shop todo it. There is a learning curve and you're playing with fire with both a S/C and Nitrous. No offense. $175/hr is a bit steep... shop around. My local place charges $150cdn/hr.

3 - There is no simulated wideband output, you get narrow band data logged in mV. Yes, you can tune with it (I've tuned my car to run at around 900mV... I'll use a wideband for a fine tune)

Saturday, June 03, 2006 3:02 PM
Quote:

2 - Judging by your questions, get a shop todo it.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, June 03, 2006 4:37 PM
Hmm, I'd be a little iffy on a shop tuning it too. Most people know how to tune the basic import car line-up and when it comes to GM it seems to be a tad bit different. From what I've been reading in the HpT thread, you can't change alot of single things, without changing an array of other things to compensate.

I may be wrong on the shop's knowledge but from me helping tune DSM's and Audi/VW and watching shops up in seattle tune, with Hondata/Crome/Uberdata/etc it's much easier.

BUT I MAY BE WRONG.......so good luck

and yea, 175/hr is rediculous. Gather up a bunch of car guys and have a dyno day haha.

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Saturday, June 03, 2006 5:03 PM
I just got done tuning my car with hpt on a dyno. It was on the dyno for about 5 hours. Cost me about $575. I have all other information in another post.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 5:46 PM
get the pro , it will be worth it in the end

and get a shop to tune it , and pay attention to what they are doing while tuning , so you know how the program , and parameters all work

Saturday, June 03, 2006 7:00 PM
DCStang67 wrote:I just got done tuning my car with hpt on a dyno. It was on the dyno for about 5 hours. Cost me about $575. I have all other information in another post.

Congrats on that, just read your post!

Saturday, June 03, 2006 9:52 PM
Bballjamal (Cav-AtL) wrote:Hmm, I'd be a little iffy on a shop tuning it too. Most people know how to tune the basic import car line-up and when it comes to GM it seems to be a tad bit different. From what I've been reading in the HpT thread, you can't change alot of single things, without changing an array of other things to compensate.

I may be wrong on the shop's knowledge but from me helping tune DSM's and Audi/VW and watching shops up in seattle tune, with Hondata/Crome/Uberdata/etc it's much easier.

and yea, 175/hr is rediculous. Gather up a bunch of car guys and have a dyno day haha.

this will all depend on the shop you go to. Some shops my know Imports better than domestics, and others the other way around. Truly if you really know how to tune, and know the programing then should not be a problem. This is wheen you talk to people in your town and get a feel for what the tuners know.

FU Tuning

Sunday, June 04, 2006 12:13 PM
John Higgins wrote:
Bballjamal (Cav-AtL) wrote:Hmm, I'd be a little iffy on a shop tuning it too. Most people know how to tune the basic import car line-up and when it comes to GM it seems to be a tad bit different. From what I've been reading in the HpT thread, you can't change alot of single things, without changing an array of other things to compensate.

this will all depend on the shop you go to. Some shops my know Imports better than domestics, and others the other way around. Truly if you really know how to tune, and know the programing then should not be a problem. This is wheen you talk to people in your town and get a feel for what the tuners know.

True, we've just had an instance here in GA where a shop thought they knew what they were doing, because they're Gods with Honda/Acura, and completely trashed a guys M3 while trying to tune it using similar tuning equip as HpT. I guess I'm just freaked out now haha.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search