megasquirt or HP. you decied - Page 2 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: megasquirt or HP. you decied
Thursday, March 02, 2006 7:20 AM
Listening!!!!

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock!!!!!

Thursday, March 02, 2006 8:42 AM
Could something like this be used to control the automatic transmissions trans.controll unit? I know it's for the 4L60/80E but it might be adaptable. Or there might be other units out there...

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:13 AM
Alright guys, a little ECU programming 101...

The ECU is similar to a computer (it is a computer actually). So, the data in the ECU is broken up into two parts:

1: Operating System
2: Calibration Data (CAL)

So, in order for the ECU to understand a 2 bar map sensor, you can't just change numbers in a table, the operating system must be changed. Since HPT does NOT write or code the operating system, they need to get the 2 bar OS from another source (ie, GM). In order to do the 2 bar upgrade, a new OS must be flashed on to the ECU. When you are doing the tuning that they otherwise offer, this is done through the CAL data section, you are just changing numbers in the tables.

So is it "so hard for them to add", well yes, it is. They need to get a 2 bar source from somewhere to use that operating system. Now, I've asked Keith, to which I've yet to recieve a reply, that if I supplied him with the GM S/C OS, if he could use that to provide at lease the 2k-2k2 2.4L guys the option of a 2 bar OS. The Eco guys could do something similar when the eco reflash is available. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything they can do for the LN2 or pre-2k 2.4's.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:17 PM
What if the 00-02 guys that already have the reflash. Would the software recognize the map already on the computer??

Jason
99 Z24

Racers Edge
Johnny Mack Turbo Systems
Engineered Performance
Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:28 PM
I'm also trying to figure that out, I will post back if/when I find out.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:39 PM
im assuming no.. unless they add that as a calibration they support. if so that could be good news for eco s/c people as they have a 3 bar map, correct?

Shifted.. in 2.X (with EIO) can a whole dif OS be flashed like the 1.X versions? if so this could be the answer we're looking for as long as OS images can be shared.

also, the VIN in held in CAL correct? I would assume but that could be dangerous, like assuming 2&3 bar support

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Thursday, March 02, 2006 1:37 PM
Yes it can in 2.0, thats how they do the VCM enhancements (like the 2 bar on other platforms). Even the basic version can do OS reflashes. I'm trying to find out if I can share an OS, but the ability to read a 2 bar table must be present in the software in order to run calibrations on them...

The VIN is in the cal I believe, since you can change the VIN without flashing the OS, and without recalculating the OS checksums.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search