Trifecta... - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trifecta...
Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:40 AM
So I have a buddy locally who is a "trifecta dealer" so just to be nice i asked him to get me a complete quote for a tune, gave him all my details, and told him what i want.

He gets back to me a week or so later and says Vince WILL NOT tune my car, because my "GMPP KIT" is not all original stock set up? ARE YOU SERIOUS? i was "willing" to through 500 bucks at this guy and he doesnt want it....what a joke.

Re: Trifecta...
Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:47 AM
Lol does that really surprise you? I've heard so many bad things about trifecta for our cars.. Hp tuners all the way

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:39 AM
There was talk back in the day that Vince had unlocked the GM Tune and was using that to tune all supercharged cars but didn't want to release the unlocked file to the community unless he got some absurd amount of money because then no one would go to him for tunes anymore.

From what you are saying, he won't tune a S/C Cav/Fire unless they have a stock GMPP Kit means he is just flashing his unlocked file and charging full price for a "custom tune". If he did it years ago, there is no effort on his part to "tune" in which case he shouldn't charge full price.

Just my 2 cents...
Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:05 AM
RicoCav wrote:There was talk back in the day that Vince had unlocked the GM Tune and was using that to tune all supercharged cars but didn't want to release the unlocked file to the community unless he got some absurd amount of money because then no one would go to him for tunes anymore.

From what you are saying, he won't tune a S/C Cav/Fire unless they have a stock GMPP Kit means he is just flashing his unlocked file and charging full price for a "custom tune". If he did it years ago, there is no effort on his part to "tune" in which case he shouldn't charge full price.

Just my 2 cents...

this is what i gathered from it too. his "unlocked" GM tune was the only reason i considered it. I am considering going emailing him direct, and seeing if he says the same thing my friend told me he said.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:01 PM
How many cavaliers did he blow up....yeah...I wouldn't use him ever.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:09 PM
^^^^This. I'm pretty sure this is why he doesn't do J's anymore. I read somewhere on here that he blew up some guy's car, got sued over it and now refuses to touch J's.
Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:55 PM
Austin Stilwell wrote:^^^^This. I'm pretty sure this is why he doesn't do J's anymore. I read somewhere on here that he blew up some guy's car, got sued over it and now refuses to touch J's.

Yup. He's blown a bunch up and won't tune J's anymore. He'll just make excuses to not do it.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:57 PM
EvoFire wrote:

this is what i gathered from it too. his "unlocked" GM tune was the only reason i considered it. I am considering going emailing him direct, and seeing if he says the same thing my friend told me he said.

If you do get in touch with him ask him if hes wiling to let go of his unlocked GM Tune since he isn't making any money off of it anyways, lol. Its worth a shot.
Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:31 PM
Dont waste your time....

He is not good with our cars and blown quite a few up, doesnt get back to people for retunes, and quite simply wont tune our cars anymore.

Buy HPT and learn. Same as me. I didn't have any clue how to tune but im reading and learning, and I imagine there are enough people in the community that will help me and anybody else out.
Friday, January 24, 2014 12:34 PM
Tridecta....yea, turn and run! As said, Vince has blown up his more than his fair share of J-bodies, and has left tons of people hanging with unfinished tune, slow response time and incorrect adjustments after receiving data logs back, etc. I know Derek just issues with his tune last year...was running pig rich for months and end and never really got a proper resolution form Vince...then his motor popped.

A few years back, Oldskool is who tried to get the ball rolling on the unlocked reflash...it was basically the 2 bar SD reflash (like the LD9 reflash) but for a P11 pcm..I forget what amount of cash Vince wanted, but I think it was going to equate to $500 per tune, which was only a starting base tune and would still need dialing in for the individual car, and I believe he wanted a set amount confirmed and payed for up front...Can't be certain anymore, but I feel like it was a $5k affair.

It's a shame too, from what I read, he seems to do good work on other platforms...I know the Cruze guys really suck his dick on all the forums.

You're probably best off finding someone local who knows the J-body platform to HP Tune you.

Friday, January 24, 2014 1:07 PM
I just logged one of his tunes for a 1.4t sonic, I was not impressed. He basically upped the boost and pulled almost all the timing out of it. At some points we were seeing 4 degrees of advance or LESS without any knock retard registered. Sounds like a recipe for serious hp!! (Sarcasm). Fred's going to dyno tune it at SMG. I can't wait to see the gains.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Friday, January 24, 2014 1:11 PM
yeah I think I will take it to DynoComp out here in Scottsdale. They do lots of Mercedes AMGs and other nice cars. I know them pretty well and I trust that they would get the job done. They have HPT and EFI live, and they say they can use either one. It would be a full dyno tune, with "drive in" and "drive out" WOT tuning, and street tuning done as well because of the dyno's load creating capabilities.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:41 AM
EvoFire wrote:yeah I think I will take it to DynoComp out here in Scottsdale. They do lots of Mercedes AMGs and other nice cars. I know them pretty well and I trust that they would get the job done. They have HPT and EFI live, and they say they can use either one. It would be a full dyno tune, with "drive in" and "drive out" WOT tuning, and street tuning done as well because of the dyno's load creating capabilities.

Sounds like a much better idea than rolling the dice on Vince. Your car will thank you, lol

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:06 PM
Don't surprise me a bit I bought the cable and he pretty much blew me off
Saturday, February 08, 2014 5:52 AM
Vince claimed to have the Ecotec GMPP reflash unlocked, however he also claimed that it wasn't really a speed density operating system, in the sense that the y-axis on the VE tables was still throttle position. Of course, with that kind of money involved, it never materialized.

Remote tuning on these cars, from Vince or anyone is BAD NEWS. People who learn to tune on MAF fueled cars are kind of spoiled because, unless you jack up the MAF calibration, the car is very forgiving and will add some level of fuel with extra boost/airflow. You can't even take a guess at dialing in a VE table remotely unless you have experience with that customer's build. It's just not worth blowing up a couple before you get that experience lol.
Saturday, February 08, 2014 7:11 AM
oldskool wrote:Vince claimed to have the Ecotec GMPP reflash unlocked, however he also claimed that it wasn't really a speed density operating system, in the sense that the y-axis on the VE tables was still throttle position. Of course, with that kind of money involved, it never materialized.

Remote tuning on these cars, from Vince or anyone is BAD NEWS. People who learn to tune on MAF fueled cars are kind of spoiled because, unless you jack up the MAF calibration, the car is very forgiving and will add some level of fuel with extra boost/airflow. You can't even take a guess at dialing in a VE table remotely unless you have experience with that customer's build. It's just not worth blowing up a couple before you get that experience lol.

This is sooo true. People just od not understand how true it is.

People think oh this shop tunes 600hp cars all day a jbody is easy for them. No. They are not use to the lack of files we have. Also a good amount of the files we do have they dont have on other cars.

I truly feel some of the guys who have really studied the jbody tuning and been doing it a while are still learning things about our ECU's.

FU Tuning

Saturday, February 08, 2014 8:15 AM
Im sure hoping sparkey takes on the p12 project soon!

Im very nervous about trying to learn to tune my car.
Monday, June 09, 2014 12:47 AM
I have a trifecta tune rightnow under throttle I get 9.8 AFRs and around town 13.5
The advance is insane and I burn o2 sensors like crazy. But nobody will touch it with a 10ft pole

2002 cavy 2.2 ecotec m62 Getrag trans
Monday, June 09, 2014 12:47 AM
So I'm stuck with what I got I guess

Monday, June 09, 2014 2:50 AM
I you're running a 3.1 or bigger pulley you may be better off with the gm reflash.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, June 09, 2014 9:29 AM
I have a grand to spend on tuning tho. I want a real tune!!!! Damn it!!! Lol
I might go MS or hpt

Monday, June 09, 2014 10:23 AM
Ely if you have a grand to spend...get hpt pro and learn.otherwise rent a trailer and bring it to Ryan In St. Louis.

Monday, June 09, 2014 10:28 AM
JUCNBST wrote:Ely if you have a grand to spend...get hpt pro and learn.otherwise rent a trailer and bring it to Ryan In St. Louis.

X1000

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search