Rev Limiters? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rev Limiters?
Sunday, January 18, 2015 6:04 PM
Im curious about this, having the stock fuel cut rev limiter deleted and installing an after market spark cut limiter. Anyone have any luck with aftermarket limiters? Also i only plan on running a built motor with a 50 or 75 shot of nitrous so im curious if id even need one, kinda obviously a n00b here. Can anyone help me out here?

Re: Rev Limiters?
Monday, January 19, 2015 7:37 PM
Actually from the factory we have 2 limiters one is fuel and one is spark.

Both can be adjusted with HPT.

How are you deleted said limiter?

FU Tuning

Monday, January 19, 2015 7:56 PM
thats actually good to know (i dont really know squat about limiters cause i come form the land of 70's muscle trucks that have no computers whatsoever, my idea of tuning comprises of turning a few screws on a carb) im just worried about the fuel cut limiter being a problem because im going to be running a wet shot nitrous system and i am going to have a pressure safety (always install those) but im not in the mood for my spray to get cut short due to my fuel limiter going off. And honestly i just like 2-step boxes and wanted to know if ones ever been slapped in a J body.
Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:00 PM
People have used MSD boxes on our cars.

Without tuning the factory ECU you will never remove the factory limiter., so that means your spark limiter on the MSD box would have to be lower than the stock fuel cut.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:01 PM
well since im building it as all motor (does it still count as all motor if its getting nitrous lol) im prolly gunna do a full tune, well have it done at a performance shop we have here.
Wednesday, January 21, 2015 9:19 AM
Wherever you have it done, they have to be comfortable with alpha-N tuning and @!#$ty ECU's. The computers in J's do not have many of the tables or features that speed shops are used to working with (ie: MAF tuning, acceleration enrichment, speed density fueling). Tuning our computer is a different beast than cranking out a killer LSx motor. If you're getting a tune done, the rev limiters can be adjust there (as already said above) with HPT and it is perfectly capable of being a reliable system.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:45 AM
Exactly! If you are going to use HPT and still not satisfied with your TUNE (like I was) then buy an AEM EMS. Plug in HPT and you can have all the tables you want.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Friday, February 27, 2015 4:11 PM
How much would EMS cost? and what exactly is it? Im still figuring crap out with these computerized engines, my last "toy" was an 850whp Chevy c10 (just decided muscle was too expensive for a 17yo. so im kinda playin the n00b card here
Saturday, February 28, 2015 9:37 AM
The AEM set up is a stand alone ECU and very expensive. Not worth it unless you are racing competitively in my opinion. I'm not even sure it can be used on the street, would have to check with a local vehicle inspection location.

Saturday, February 28, 2015 10:54 AM
I live in Arkansas. No vehicle inspection here. But just asking for a guesstimate here. How expensive is an AEM? Or would i be better off just scrapping the LD9 and BS'ing my way through sticking in an ecotec?
Sunday, March 01, 2015 6:15 PM
$1500 and up for AEM stand alone ECU. Swapping to an Eco doesn't give you a better tuning option. The ECU's are pretty similar from a control standpoint.

Monday, March 02, 2015 5:37 AM
I would stay with the LD9, and run a 00-02 GM Re-flash designed for the M45 supercharger. That tune is speed density based, and is a lot easier for most tuning shops to tune. If you can find a shop that can tune alpha-n with HPtuners I would stay with that since you would have more resolution to tune with.

You can flash the reflash onto any 00-02 computer with HPtuners or EFI-Live.

Here is the main issue. since you have a 96...your going to have to swap to a 97 or newer PCM and wiring. The 96 is not tunable with ANYTHING.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, March 02, 2015 2:26 PM
Anyone heard about this place:

http://www.alphafabindustries.com/products/afi-performance-off-road-tuning-l61-2-2l-ecotec

Monday, March 02, 2015 5:06 PM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:Anyone heard about this place:

http://www.alphafabindustries.com/products/afi-performance-off-road-tuning-l61-2-2l-ecotec

Yes. They use HPTuners, but lock the ECU and you cant tune it afterwards.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, March 04, 2015 8:58 AM
Thanks! They lock it for what purpose? So you have to keep sending it back for retunes? How good are their tuning abilities? If I were to send in my ECU, they would look at the existing tune and try to make it better I would imagine but who knows.

Wednesday, March 04, 2015 9:26 AM
They lock it so that yes you need to send it back for a new tune, and so that you don't get it, screw with the tune, then blame your blown up motor on them.

Thursday, March 05, 2015 6:30 AM
Didn't think about that, but makes total sense Sparkey! I can't tell you how many tuners complained about the ECOTEC or Cavalier ECU for that matter. Some tuners get so frustrated, they tune for power but say screw the driveability and later I find that out when driving it (test driving it during the tune doesn't always give you enough time to figure out the tune isn't all its supposed to be) the car stalls at idle etc.

I really need to work on bypassing the ECU with another form of standalone computer control. AEM EMS, may give it a shot. A local performance shop swears by it for all their high horsepower EVO's, LS1's and S2000's.

Thursday, March 05, 2015 3:04 PM
I have made 405whp on a stock Ecotec with boost on the stock ECU. Can can be tuned.

FU Tuning

Sunday, March 08, 2015 10:47 PM
well then. if id seen this before i signed the paperwork for the Fiero id probably had done it. but i now get to screw with a fiero instead of a J. curse you comcast. CURSE YOU!!
Thursday, March 12, 2015 2:00 PM
Can anyone chime in on this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-L61-2-2L-NEW-Ecotec-complete-stand-alone-engine-harness-and-computer-USA-MADE-/221284897190?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item33859b91a6&vxp=mtr

Stand alone computer from CMB Motorsports. $1000

Thursday, March 12, 2015 2:12 PM
What's the point of all that work for a speed density tune if it only works with a stock 1bar map sensor?

"In Oldskool we trust"

Thursday, March 12, 2015 3:35 PM
whats the point if you can't tune it because they lock it.

Stock can do more than any basic bolt on car needs. If you going for more than 400whp, then go Megasquirt.

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:12 PM
I think this is probably geared more towards the buggy and motor swapping old cars (like Eco into an MG and such) crowds.

Saturday, April 25, 2015 9:52 AM
400 WHP on stock ECU? That is good to know, but the tuners I know, at 180 WHP they are telling me I'm stuck. I "retired" the car in 2008. It has seen maybe 1000 miles since. One reason I didn't sink a lot more money into it was because I wasn't sure how I was going to to tune it properly. I bought two supercharger kits, both kits the seller retracted then I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of tuning it. If I knew of a way or had the data on tuning the ECO properly I would build up the motor! If I buy the AEM EMS can I still do what I need to do to optimize the tune (I know you don't think there is a need for it since like you said STOCK ECU is fine)? My point being, a tuner may have much more success with the AEM EMS in MY CASE then just the stock ECU if I were to build up my motor.

Saturday, April 25, 2015 11:33 AM
I have a Harrop HTV1320-LSJ Supercharged on a bone stock L61 in my 03 cav. It is tuned on the stock PCM. Been running great for the past 3-4 years.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search