starts and dies - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
starts and dies
Saturday, May 16, 2015 10:21 PM
I have looked everywhere on the internet and recently posted on this but can't find the post.

Car will start after sitting for awhile then over 20 seconds start bogging then die. changed fuel pressure regulator because it was bad but didn't fix it. Also changed fuel filter. If I immediately try and start the car it won't. I have to unplug the fuel pump relay and start the car to relieve fuel pressure then the process starts over. car smells very rich when this happens.

Also no check engine light. Keep in mind that for the first 10 seconds car runs perfectly before bogging out. Have not checked fuel pressure yet but it seems to be to high. what besides the FPR can cause high fuel pressure? If a fuel return line is plugged will the car still run?

Re: starts and dies
Saturday, May 16, 2015 10:22 PM
ment to post this in the repair forum... sorry
Sunday, May 17, 2015 4:06 PM
Do you know what fuel pressure is when this all happens?

What happens if you try and feather the gas while she is running and it starts to bog?

Have you checked the vacuum hose on the map sensor?

FU Tuning

Sunday, May 17, 2015 6:17 PM
I don't know what it is at this time.. If I hold it wide open throttle it will start but will just bog around 1500 rpms for a few seconds. Map sensor vacuum is good and flows air freely
Sunday, May 17, 2015 6:33 PM
Fuel pressure definitely needs to be checked. Also, if you have or have access to a scanner that displays open loop/closed loop status; start the car monitoring open/closed loop status. If it goes screwy when it switches from open to closed that could be an indication that it is related to the feedback system(O2, MAP).

Sunday, May 17, 2015 8:05 PM
Check fuel pressure and check fuel injectors might have multiple leaking injectors. I had just 1 leaking and it was hard to start and didn't like to idle smoothly.
Monday, May 18, 2015 4:02 PM
Sparkey05 wrote:Fuel pressure definitely needs to be checked. Also, if you have or have access to a scanner that displays open loop/closed loop status; start the car monitoring open/closed loop status. If it goes screwy when it switches from open to closed that could be an indication that it is related to the feedback system(O2, MAP).

easy check of this is to disconnect the O2 sensor and see if this changes how the car acts. If it does then you know it is sensor related.

Quote:

Map sensor vacuum is good and flows air freely

How do you know this?

FU Tuning

Monday, May 18, 2015 9:17 PM
I will rent a fuel pressure tester then and post my findings. I blew on the vacuum line and it flowed air is how I know the vacuum line to the map is ok.

Also the car only runs for maybe 15 seconds
Tuesday, June 02, 2015 12:10 PM
Just so everyone knows... My catalytic converter was plugged and destroyed. Problem solved
Tuesday, June 02, 2015 12:27 PM
do excessive back pressure was your issue, cool glad you figured it out...

fyi your vaccum would not have been ok...

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 8:45 PM
True about the vacuum but all I said was that the vacuum hose was clear... I don't have a vacuum gauge cuz I ain't boosted lol what exactly would happen to vacuum anyways on a gauge

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search