Upgraded Valvetrain - Re-tuning Required? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Upgraded Valvetrain - Re-tuning Required?
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:53 AM
Hey Guys,

I just purchased the Supertech 75# Valve spring kit. I have Stage 3 cams installed. Once I install the valvetrain and new cam finger rocker followers, do I need to be retuned? I don't think I need to be; its a plug and play sort of thing. However, I need you guys to tell me either way.

Thanks!

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Re: Upgraded Valvetrain - Re-tuning Required?
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:34 PM
sure you do...

you change cams you change airflow..
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 6:54 PM
From the way I read it he already is tuned on the cams?

If thats the case a tune isnt "needed" but there might be a little benefit if your getting valve float issues up top when you were tuned?
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 8:33 PM
Tuned on the cams is what I meant. No, I was not having that issue. So, install the valvetrain and I should be good to go? What do you think the hp gains would be from lighte, lower in friction valvetrain? I will dyno the car before the install and after.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:14 AM
I would get the car retuned. It wont hurt anything and you might pick up a little more power. I wouldn't expect any gain in power with the valve springs, but you will greatly increase the reliability of your engine.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:30 AM
Gotcha! Reliability was one of the main reasons for purchasing the valvetrain. I think I'm making power around 6800 RPM. Maybe, I can make a little more with this upgrade. Once installed, and I don't get around to doing the tune, no problem right? I drove with my cams without a tune for a while and I didn't notice any HP gains from the install. When I was tuned, yes there was a difference!l But my point being, the cam install did not affect my driveability. I am assuming the same with the valvetrain?

Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:23 PM
I look into getting some head work done now too. Pick up a used head, port it, bigger valves, and THEN toss the valve springs on that head. Seems like a better option to me.

Friday, July 31, 2015 7:28 AM
Tinkles - totally agree with you! If you look in the "Performance Forum," I have a posted up this thread: " ECOTEC L61 built head - who makes one?"

I want a built head - I have spoken to a few guys that don't have much to say about the Patriot Stage 2 head - barely flows better than stock seems to be the normal response. I did find a seller for this head and considering purchasing it. However, due to the advice I have received on going the LSJ route, I am beginning to look into that to see what I need to do instead. I have to contact someone on CSS.net, send him an LSJ head, he will P&P for a great price. Yet to find out who that is and where I can buy an LSJ head - doing research as we speak. Any info would be appreciated!

Friday, July 31, 2015 9:53 AM
i have a couple... pm me
Friday, July 31, 2015 1:46 PM
I did!

Saturday, August 01, 2015 3:40 AM
The guy is LSJion on css and you can find a head on there fairly cheap

Saturday, August 01, 2015 9:23 PM
I appreciate it. Crate Engine Depot has the head new for a grand, bare that is. I'll find out frim him and post back all the info.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search