Stand Alone ECU - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stand Alone ECU
Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:57 PM
I know there are a couple out there, holley, haltech,t ec 3, hks, megasquirt, which ones, if any, will work with my OBD2? What do I need to know about these things before i start shopping around for one.

Re: Stand Alone ECU
Saturday, May 20, 2006 9:02 PM
OBD-2 is a standard for OEM manufacturers. Using a standalone ECU eliminates the OBD-2 classification of your ECU.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, May 20, 2006 9:08 PM
what should I know about before I buy one?

im one year in and Ill give you the advice that should of been given to me but wasnt

get an fmu injecotrs and an safc. you can get pretty damn close to perfect. and it will save you a @!#$ load of pain and suffering.

and for those who say its a bad solution. go ahead and ask suncavi how well it works

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Sunday, May 21, 2006 1:14 AM
You can buy a stand alone, but your best bet with odb2 is either hp tuners, or wait until i've got a solution for a swap to odb1.

Basically hptuners has full support for your odb2 i believe.
Saturday, May 27, 2006 6:44 AM
ok, if i didnt go with the stand alone, i would need a reflash, because im building a new block, and then an emanage or something of the sort, i'd rather go with the stnd alone to be completely honest,

any recommendations?

HP tuners does not support 1996 ecu's
Saturday, May 27, 2006 7:02 AM
As far as i know you can swap a 97 ecu into your 96 or even a 98 ecu, and hp tuners will support it. If your into cash, and want stand alone, we've run a jbody off of a AEM before. OR you can look at megasquirt.
Saturday, May 27, 2006 7:34 AM
Doesn't HP have the ability to eliminate the 2nd O2 and EGR?

Saturday, May 27, 2006 7:59 AM
Yes it does.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 8:07 AM
Thought it did. Been a while since I read your write up. Maybe it's just me but it seems like that's the best way to go. You get the best of everything. Stand alone flexibility, factory ECU functions like diagnostics and cruise control and all that... Plus I'm not sure if the stand alones would drive the factory gauges. I had brought that up not too long ago but I don't think anyone ever really cleared that up.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 8:24 AM
They won't, you have to make a custom cluster, the factory cluster talks GM-talk on the vehicle network, since you eliminate the vehicle network with the standalone, no more cluster.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:16 AM
Ah. Somehow I knew I was right about that.

Friday, June 02, 2006 1:11 PM
97/98 ecu swap, all i would need for that is one out of a manual transaxle 97/98 sunfire or cav? and then a reflash for the new motor?
Friday, June 02, 2006 3:35 PM
Actuallly, 97/98 ecm and hp tuners would work. You may have to match the ecm pins on the connectors or swap them out. I will have a conversion connector list soon, the thing holding us back from building conversion connectors is the lack of a parts supplier.
Friday, June 02, 2006 6:17 PM
I wouldn't bother switching out the ECU as long as HP has software to support it. If you did have to, get a 97 ECU. I'm guessing with a 98 you'd need the BCM and all that too since they had one. 97s didn't.

Friday, June 02, 2006 8:45 PM
I am going to be switching to a 97 ecu as well....what I plan on doing, since the interior harnesses are the same, is just getting the engine harness and the 97 ecu.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search