95 ECU swapped, now idle problem..... - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95 ECU swapped, now idle problem.....
Monday, January 02, 2006 10:37 PM
i just swap a 95 ECU so i can put the mantapart chip later when i'll get my engine rebuilt with the 086 head and HO cams. Now when i start the car it idle a little high, like 1500rpm then its fine, it idle at 900 like it was before. But when it reach normal temp, it idle at 600 and when i lauch, if i dont push enough on the gaz, it dies. also when i shift, the rpm goes up of about 200-300 in rpm, then goes down!!! i tried reseting the computer by deconnecting the battery for an hour and it didn't change anything... is this because of the EPROM not good for my car? will it be allright when i get the manta chip later on?

any help would be appreciate, thanx!

Re: 95 ECU swapped, now idle problem.....
Monday, January 02, 2006 10:40 PM
i wouldn't recommend manta anyways. have you already swapped to OBDI?

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, January 02, 2006 10:42 PM
i have the same ecu...the idle sounds about right..well at least the same as mine..as far as the rpms jumping up i had that problem from a conflict with bosch sensors/bad TPS

FACT : Statistics show that that you are more likely to be hit by lightning than to die in a street race.
Monday, January 02, 2006 10:47 PM
yes, I have swapped to OBD1, that is the 95 ECU!! I would also like to avoid mantapart, but there are the only ones that sell this chip

scott, did you see a difference when you put the chip in? or you already had the chip when you swapped to OBD1?

ok, so the idle at 600 is right?, then why it would idle at 900 before it get to normal temp?
and i dunno, before i swapped the ecu, everything was fine... so i tought that it would be because of the ecu, not a sensor... i might try a differebt tps or iac later, i have 2 or 3 spare one, but not sure if these are good too!
thanx for helping...

Monday, January 02, 2006 11:03 PM
well if temp is involved, it's probably the IAC.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:55 AM
When you satar tthe car, it will rise to 1500rpms for about 2-3 second then go down to 900rpm and stay there untill it's at normal temp. It's normal. Maybe you guys in the south don't have that but any I've seen up here in the north do that. It's plain normal.

It will idle at 900 on my 02 Z with the 2.4 ecm tough.

600rpm is low tough but if Scott's car is like that, maybe it's ok. My Gtz idle at 1100-1200rpm. Hot or not. It will raise to 1500-2000rpm when you just start it then go down and stay there.

an idle of 600rpm when hot is what the auto tranny have. So yes you'll have to give it more gas to start.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 7:06 AM
i'm not too far south... i'm in montreal!!
and i dont think this is normal that if i dont give enough gaz that it dies.... and when shifting the rpm going up!!!!

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 7:08 AM
... how is the iac working with the temp??
thanx

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:13 AM
ok first of all i assume you just have the ecu not the engine right?..as far as 600 rpm im not sure about that cus i run a HO now..but im SURE that its normal for it to be higher when its cold then settle down when its warm..dont know about that low though cus with my chip it idles at about 1grand
Quote:

scott, did you see a difference when you put the chip in? or you already had the chip when you swapped to OBD1?

yes i did...besides the fact that theres no govenor and your redline is higher it made it much more responsive ..like off the line..it used to bog on me...but i didnt get the chip till i installed the HO engine first..so i dont know how thatll work for ya

FACT : Statistics show that that you are more likely to be hit by lightning than to die in a street race.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:17 AM
yeah... i installed the ecu so that when i'll be putting the engine in about 2 month, i would just need to install the chip at the same time.
what about the rpm jumping when shifting?
thanx

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 9:44 AM
as far as needing the chip..the stock 95 ecu will "run" the HO quad..but i still recommend you add it...as far as the rpm jumping ..does it do it at ALL rpm shifts? or just at like lower? cus mine tends to do it at lower rpms,but that really just helps me get the next gear going
i would wait till you put the quad in before you have any real concerns..cus it may just be a differnce in engines..if your using the same sensors..just a differnt pcm..then i would just wait..is it a slight rev or really noticable?

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:00 AM
I live about an hour from Montreal so the temperature are pretty much the same. 600 is too low for a 5spd. That is why it will stall if you don't give it gas when you try to go from a stop.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:02 AM
the temp may be effecting the idle by the coolant temp sensor. i have had a problem with them sticking in mine and my buddys jbody. what happens is when the car is cold the CTS tells the computer to dump more fuel to keep it idling.(because the colder the engine the more is required than when it is hot) but as the car warms up the CTS sticks and does not change the input to the computer, this bogs the engine down. but a a certain temp the CTS gets warm enough and becomes unstuck and provides the correct in put to the computer and the car idles correct again.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:05 AM
yes the rpm jump at all rpm shift!
yeah... i'll see when i get the chip en engine in!

and thats why i'm asking for the 600 idle! maybe the chip will fix that!
Now if only mantapart could reply to my email so i can order that chip... maybe i,ll get it in 3-4 month even if they told me it would take about 2 weeks!!!! i wish i could find one from someone else.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 11:21 AM
wish i could help dude...i just sold the only extra HO chip i had to fallen angel..she seems to like it ..the HO chip will raise your idle about 200 rpm..so whether it "fixes" your problem will be determined but most of the time when My rpms reved when i shifted(constantly) the problem derived from a malfunctioning throttle position sensor or a bad/BOSCH o2 sensor...which brings me to my next question..the obd1 only has ONE 02 sensor..didnt you have 2 to begin with?

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 1:08 PM
huh... my car is strange, it only have 1 O2 but i know it was OBD2, never got any check engine, also i intalled a HO manifold a couple months ago and i just unplugged the egr and never had any code
so i only have 1 sensor!

Now when it dies, i have a hard time starting the engine back!!! i got stuck at a light earlier and had to crank the engine about 5 times before it started!!!!

also, will it be allright if i go with the W41 chip even if i will be running the HO cams or i will definitly need the HO! i mean will the car great on W41 chip with HO cams?
thanx for helping.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:02 PM
ok, i just read trhu these posts, and it sounds like all u did was swap ecus. hopefully u swapped wiring harness out for obd1 as well or at least repinned the ecu to be correct outputs. if not, u will certainly have issues and im surprised it even runs at all. i checked ur profile and it doesnt say anything about a wiring swap so thats why im assuming all u did was plug in the 95 comp.

Don't steal, the government doesn't like competition
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:08 PM
i have to agree with spin, but then again i didnt think that an obd2 wiring harness would hook straight into an obd1 pcm..i thought the 1 had 2 plugs and the obd2 had 3? or maybe IM the one thas wrong hehe....but anyway...as far as the w41 chip is concerned i have the manta w41 chip in my pcm at this very moment running HO cams...noooo problems...i think its made it run abit richer..but you have to realize,the pcm thinks you have w41 cams
as far as the car not starting..and you having rpm trouble at the same time..sounds like a IAC..i know you cant really start your car when the iac goes out...if you cant start the car again hit the gas pedal down a bit to open the throttle and see if itll start then...if it does..its the iac

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:15 PM
yeah, the stock harness does not plug into to pcm! i did repin everything tho, took me about 2 days since i did it in my backyard at -20degree, my hand was freezing...
I just took the pin out of my plug and repin into the 95 plugs and let the remaining unuse aside like egr, second O2... by the way, 95 has 2 plugs and my 97 has 2 plug also, but mine were 80pin per plug and 95 is 32. i think 96 has 3 plugs tho!
i'll try that scott and i'll also try with an other iac.
thanx!

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:17 PM
1 02 sensor for the 96-97 2.4 is normal. you're not alone.

The W41 chip may be anoying sometimes. I know it is with the turbo cause it will keep an idle of 2500rpm (with the old Ecm) untill you go slower than 10-15km.
i even stop at the light with the engine reving at 2500rpm. people thinks you want to race them but it's how the chip is set.

It's to prevent the W41 from stalling the engine.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:25 PM
well.... i have 2 x 2.3 iac sensor and 2 2.4 iac, i tried them all and the 2.3 spare i have is not good i think, the rpm just wont stop going up at idle. the 2 2.4l one are buncing from 500 to 1500 and then after 1-2min, it dies.... so i dunno, i reinstall the one i had at the beginning and it idles stable at 600, but when i give gaz, if not enoughm it will die like said above! i guess i'll just wait till i get the chip and engine in!!!!!
thanx for helping guys.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:51 PM
wait a sec...you put one in and the idle bounces around then dies...you put another in and it idles low but stable...just a thought,id get a new version of the one that idles stable...and you said you already tested your tps right?

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 7:02 PM
yeah, both 2.4 iac were boncing around, and the 2.3 one was stable at 600, this is the one i had initially. the other 2.3 one couldn't stop going up. I didn't test the tps... not sure how to do that.
but everything was fine before i swapped the pcm!!!

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:47 PM
Does the "Check engine" light work?

sig not found
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:56 PM
yep, it works, i had one yesterday, but its no longer there. I'm going to get the codes check tomorrow!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search