plug and play ecm tuning for ecotec!!! - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
plug and play ecm tuning for ecotec!!!
Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:43 PM
Hey guys, been a long time since I was here. I found something I never saw on the org, so I thought I'd show you guys. The 350 ram jet in my vette runs on a MEFI-4 ECM... and I've been looking for software to reprogram it. I found a site with plug and play MEFI ECMs, along with tuning software and cables. I was extremely surprised to see that they had a system for the ecos!!!!! Here's the catalog:
http://www.umiracing.com/gallery/Images/Catalog.pdf

Its a plug-and-play system, comes with the new ECM, new wiring harness, tuning software, and link cables. As far as I can tell, no wiring required (like they do with other standalones, like AEM, etc.) This actually looks pretty damn good... made by UMI racing.

Re: plug and play ecm tuning for ecotec!!!
Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:48 PM
i guess we just need someone to buy and test it I don't have the $1900 to do it right now! Great find though.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:53 PM
HPT for the win

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:16 PM
SDS systems go for 1200$ for a fully stand alone ecm.

HPtuner go for 650$ max.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:28 PM
Friday, May 19, 2006 11:02 AM
Looks pretty damn nice, but....EXPENSIVE, especially when HPT is only 650!
Friday, May 19, 2006 12:34 PM
I do believe HPT has what we like to call a "monopoly". I don't see any chance of anyone doing it better and cheaper than them.

Friday, May 19, 2006 1:13 PM
Note that there are still some big advantages to using a proper standalone over using the HPT.

With a full standalone, you're not stuck with the limitations inherent in the stock ECU, such as the limited resolution when tuning for boost.

I doubt it's worth double the price to anyone but a pro building a race car... but there should at least be a small market for this thing.

HPT will be the choice for almost every street driven tuner though.

Friday, May 19, 2006 1:33 PM
^ I suppose I can agree with that. No, take that back. I CAN agree with that. You're absolutely right, Weasel. But for the typical tuner, HPT is perfect, because you can save the factory files so that if you fukk up you're not SOL. Where with a stand alone, you have no real basis unless the system has base maps included. So if you screw that up, there's no telling what will happen. I haven't saved enough for the software yet but it seems like the best option so far. Plus with a stand alone you lose the factory stuff like diagnostics, maybe cruise control, warning lights, and maybe even the cluster all together unless the unit you buy can drive the factory guages.

Friday, May 19, 2006 6:34 PM
Its only $1900 for the full package that includes a full harness.. Which would be really cool for someone swapping an eco into something other than what it came in; and older J, or a VW or a duner buggy... its $1200 for the ecu only package, still obviously pricey... since its been a while since i've seen the stock ecu.... is that plug the same as a factory unit? the ecu itself looks similare but its been a few months since we did PJ's eco swap which was the last time i've been under the hood of a 3rd gen...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 19, 2006 8:51 PM
Jay it is different

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:57 AM
You guys think $1900 for a standalone is expensive???

Lets see what a full Accel DFI/MSD setup costs....

Eco Dizzy $250 or so
MSD Prog 7+ $750 or so
MSD Coil $150 or so
MSD Crank trigger ????
Accel DFI $1500 or so

Do the math... not cheap. Aem is around $1600, Tec3s are $1900-$2400, Haltec's are around $1000, Megasquirt (batch fire, boo!) is around $300, and HPT is $650 (the $500 one is a waste of money imho, spend the extra for the pro version... it'll be worth it)

I personally went with HPT, but I'm not convinced it will be enough, there is the 2bar limit, the tables dont scale (they only go to 6400, I need tables all the way to 8000rpm so i'm gonna have a huge rich spot in my map)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search