prom tuning - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
prom tuning
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:16 PM
hey whats up everyone i was wandering if anyone is familiar with prom tuning the ecu. i was looking to learn more about the ecu in general on these j-bodies just messing around with one i have. looking to advance timing and spark , afr etc etc .........

Re: prom tuning
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:27 PM
At the moment, you cant modify an OBD 2 ECU.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:32 PM
HAHA, I was thinking you wanted to make it faster for a prom. lol

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265283
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:50 PM
lol when i was leaving the prom back in high school a 350Z kept wanting to race me. I knew i had no hope to beat him but it was funny.

Back to question, can't be done sorry.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:53 PM
Well depending on year, it CAN be done. Unfortunately you haven't specified what year you're talking about.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 6:51 AM
oh mine i think is obd II its a 97 cavi lol
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:19 AM
HP is working on tuning software for the OBD II. Not sure if they'll support the LN2 or LD9 but it sounds like the Ecotec for sure. Right now the only option is a stand alone system or a piggyback like the GReddy eManage or the APEX'i SAFC and SAFC II. They will do the A/F ratios and an MSD ignition module can help with timing. I recommend the GReddy eManage, it provides the best of both worlds by giving tuning options like a stand-alone, but still uses the stock ECU to drive guages and warning lights and all of that.

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 9:35 AM
see now i dont understand why we cant e-prom the obdII's.

there has to be an EPROM of some sort in there, would be imposible other wise and the car might as well be carburated.

i have worked on e-prom's but not on a tuning basis. now if it is just not possible for the ECU to be opened to access the e-prom, that is a different story.

hmm a carburated 2200 would be fun to play around with... then a throtle body spacer would actually become usefull!

Injection is nice but id rather be BLOWN!
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:35 AM
Yes, you can open it up and pull the eprom out. Problem is a couple things:

1: EPROM is surface mounted to the board, takes a lot of talent and patience with a soldering iron to remove one, much less put one back.

2: EPROM would need to be burnt in a separate chip burner each time you wanted to change something, so either you socket the board and pull the ecu apart each time you change something, or you find a way to add a cable and cut out the pins on the board when you want to burn (to avoid back feeding voltage into the board).

3: Even if you did get the eprom out, and pulled the bin file off of it, you still have to understand what it all means. I have a ton of bin files, its 512kb of hex numbers, you'd have to reverse engineer it, find the tables, then figure out what table does what, what values are changed to make something happen, and do it all without going insane.

So, my suggestion is to buy software that already exists to do everything you want without pulling the eprom out. HPT will be releasing the software very soon, beta is almost here and after that it will only be a short period of time before it goes live.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:02 AM
The questions I have still remain. First, what engines will they support, and second, what will their software do that eManage or SAFCs can't? Other than removing certain things we can't or don't discuss, I'm still trying to see the advantage. If it's anything like what RSM or JBP does, it seems the piggybacks are still the way to go. If there's an advantage, I'm all for it because like everyone else, I feel tuning on these motors is key.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:11 AM
Well...

The SAFC is a pile of @!#$. All it does is change the MAP sensor signal to the ECU. E-Manage can handle the injectors and the ignition, but requires you to piggy back it on, wire it all in.

HPT will support the LN2 and LD9. It will let you change all the stock tables, like VE, change injector size, fuel maps, etc. You can tune the transmission, rev and speed limiters, fan speeds, turn off sensors (like the rear O2 or the EGR), timing, etc. Its extremely nice being able to do all that without rewiring the car and playing with e-manage or whatever to get a base tune, then go from there. With HPT, the base tune is whats in the car, and you can work off of that.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:28 AM
see heres the thing... i have access to prom burning and writing software at school.

im in an electrical engineering program, so all it would take is some time.

rather than shoot my own ECU, i would go hit the crapper for one ti rip open so atleast my car is driveable.

you can still screw your car up with HP if you dont know what your editing, it just makes the interface more user friendly.

isnt playing with HEX fun!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:32 AM
Go for it, if you want a stock BIN file, let me know, I have a bunch.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:25 PM
Shifted, it makes sense when you put it like that. I don't want to sound like I'm an idiot, I just haven't gotten used to the idea that someone is actually going to make this kind of tuning available for us. It sounds like they're going to do about the same thing Hondata has been doing for Honda tuners, and that's a good thing. I think I'll take another look at the HPT site and see what it's going to be like. I'm assuming this will all be able to be done through the diagnostic port with a laptop? That'll be sweet.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:27 PM
Yup, all done through the port, no wiring involved.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:37 PM
Nice. I dind't mean to thread jack, but thanks for the help.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:24 AM
when i can use the bin file, i'll come chase u down for it... right now im waiting to see when i go back to school as the college unions here in ontario are on strike.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search