wondering about 99 pcm in a 98 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
wondering about 99 pcm in a 98
Friday, May 26, 2006 7:56 PM
douse any one no the part number on them and wil it work in a 98 to get rid of the check engine light i have from removing the egr im not sure couse i no that the 99 used different injectors.

http://www.geocities.com/WIJTuners/?200511

wi jbody site

Re: wondering about 99 pcm in a 98
Friday, May 26, 2006 8:02 PM
sorry the only reason this is in the boost forum is couse im putting a supercharger and im trying to get rid of the check engine light before i put it in.

wi jbody site
Friday, May 26, 2006 8:39 PM
get the hp tuners program and you can delete the code as well as tune the car

Friday, May 26, 2006 8:45 PM
what the website for them i heard about that not even sure what it is ill prolly look into that boltz22 was talking about that to.

wi jbody site
Friday, May 26, 2006 9:56 PM
hptuners.com

untill there program , i woulda said doing the 99 swap was the best way to go

but now hp all the way , it even saves you from buying the 99-02 knock sensor , harness connector end , and trying to wire it up

plus tuning to get more power , it cost more upfront , but in the end youve saved alot

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:26 PM
im prolly just going to go eith what i asked before for at least a bit until i can figure the hp tuners out and get the cash for it if i get that now i prolly wont have enough for every thing and to get it tuned on a dino so itll have to wait until a later time

wi jbody site
Monday, May 29, 2006 9:38 AM
the 99 ECM is designe to run with 99 injectors so just tossing the 99 ECM in won't do any good. yes its designed to run with no EGR bust there are other differences in the 2 years of cars.

Monday, May 29, 2006 10:44 AM
purplezed wrote:the 99 ECM is designe to run with 99 injectors so just tossing the 99 ECM in won't do any good. yes its designed to run with no EGR bust there are other differences in the 2 years of cars.

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

Have you put in a 1999 PCM into a 1998 successfully?

The misinformation on the .org is spreading like wildfire, it seems.

Yes I'm coming off as a bit of a prick here but I never give advice that I don't have any personal experience with.

And I only know of one or two people with experience with the 99 PCM swap - me being the first to have flashed a 99 PCM into a 1998 box, and run it for 3 years flawlessly.

Keep giving your advice I guess - this post isn't going to stop you and all you'll probably do is flame me which is fine. I bow down to your ub3r sw33r advice and experience in this matter.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, May 29, 2006 11:41 AM
i have experienced this first hand and yes your coming off as a prick. maybe you shouldn't shoot off your mouth untill you actually ask about a persons experience or lack of. also he's not asking about re-flashing, he's asking about putting a 99 into a 98. did you stop to think about that?? hence why i said JUST putting a 99 into a 98 is not going to work.

Monday, May 29, 2006 11:57 AM
Yes, and it's the same damn result

Remove PCM, install 2 wire knock sensor, put in new PCM. That easy. Been there done that.

3 years ago.

You make this seem like it's something difficult, it takes an hour to do.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Monday, May 29, 2006 12:20 PM
Reflasing the pcm to a 99 and putting in a 99 pcm is the same thing. Please explain how it is different. When you reflash it, it is now functioning as a 99, not just getting an EGR delete function. All the parameters are now 99. Exact same thing.

Monday, May 29, 2006 12:23 PM
Some may argue that the injector drivers in the 99 PCM are different - but they are not. It's a transitional PCM... open one up and look.

Again - I don't give advice unless I have 100% experience in the matter. You can run low imp injectors on a 1999 PCM no problem whatsoever. Don't try it with a 2000.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Monday, May 29, 2006 1:10 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:Yes, and it's the same damn result

Remove PCM, install 2 wire knock sensor, put in new PCM. That easy. Been there done that.

3 years ago.

You make this seem like it's something difficult, it takes an hour to do.

-Chris-
ok now that's a little more civil. i have dealt with the PCM issues in a 98, 99 and 00+ and found that you couldn't just swap them in at will. certain other parts had to be changed. as was mentioned previous the knock sensor was one, slight differences in the injectors was another issue and of course the dreaded EGR. of course the 00+ is dif again with the BCM. i believe his question was, can he just put it in and go. answer is, and you've just stated it above....no he can't. i never made anything out to be hard. you did that yourself.

Monday, May 29, 2006 1:21 PM
how do you know chris you were the first?

i know of 3 people off the top of my head with the 99 set up.

anyways, my advice is go with the HP tuners stuff.

Team GREEN

Monday, May 29, 2006 1:34 PM
Jake - I know others achieved the swap but did they REFLASH. No. I was the first.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Monday, May 29, 2006 1:34 PM
quick question guys.......so to reflash to a 99 from a 98 u just need the vin number of a 99 vehicle and a gm dealership can do it

you scratch my ride IMA EAT YO CHILDREN
Monday, May 29, 2006 1:41 PM
Cavgold96 wrote:quick question guys.......so to reflash to a 99 from a 98 u just need the vin number of a 99 vehicle and a gm dealership can do it
that is basically it yes. you give them the vehicle info, they get the part# and they re-flash it.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:46 AM
im kinda confused on this how can they just reflash my pcm to a 99 and if they can do i need to get the other injectors and the sensor i need our with the flash do i not need them

wi jbody site
Friday, June 02, 2006 9:53 AM
I'm not sure how long ago I did my first '99 ECM swap...... or even how long ago I did my first '99 ECM reflash...... but its been a few years (well before I worked @ HighRev..... and that was 2.5 years ago)...... I *believe* my first one was Jason HanZenRider's '98 Z when we S/Ced it......

If you put the '99 software into a '98 ECM, there are no problems with the injectors...... since your still using all the stock hardware.

If you put a '99 ECM into a '98 Vehicle, you *SHOULD* also change the injectors, but as Chris has pointed out, he's ran the '99ECM with Low Imp. Injectors w/o any problems (if it was going to damage the ECM or Injectors, it surly would have in 3 years)

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search